Originally posted by Solarix
This is not from a christian or jewish perspective; I thought I would get that out of the way to begin with.
Is Islam a religion where you have to check "free-thinking" at the door and embrace a tyranical, murderous, intolerant worldview?
1. How can the Koran be the infallable word of God when it contains nonsense like the earth is flat and the sun moves around the earth.
2. How can it be said that Mohammed was a loving and compassionate man yet he killed, robbed and sadisticly tortured people. ie: a man was murdered
for making fun of Mohammed in poetry.
Also, Mohammed tortured and punished some by chopping of their arms and legs, burning out their eyeballs and killing them slowly in the harsh elements
of the desert.
3. Why do Muslim claim that Mohammed was a liberator of women when it is taught that women are:
a) inferior to men
b) must obey their husbands - or be dealt with harshly
c) Mohammed said that hell was filled with women due to disobeying their husbands
d) Husbands can beat them because Allah promotes this in the koran.
e) Have no essential rights like child-custody and the right to divorce.
f) Court testomony is worth only half of the testomony of a man.
g) She has no autonomy, first her father controls her then her husband.
h) Allah wants them to stay at home and not to came out.
i) They are forbidden to join ceremonies such as funerals.
j) The Koran speaks only towards man as if woman arent full human beings.
4. How can Muslims say that Mohammed was a perfect human-being or even a good man and his example should be followed when it is known that he did a
9-year old girl when he was 53?
Don't many muslims follow this example because the best muslims should follow the Sunna?
5.How can it be said that Islam is a religion of peace and love when the koran teaches that non-believers are forbidden to be friends of muslims and
in fact the koran promotes killing them and otherwise abusing them?
Just by the title of this thread, I think one can assume that somebody's got a bit of a prejudice problem...
OK, so here I go, trying to make a good comeback for what you said!
1. "The world is flat nonsense"....yeah ummm let's see that was only considered SCIENTIFIC TRUTH at a point in time, so go tell all of the people
that lived during that time the world is round, you'll be the one considered stupid. Plus, look at the bible. It basically says knowledge comes from
trees and when bushees catch on fire you can talk to God. Why aren't they ALL nonsensical?
2. Mohammed was a murderer? Did he personally chop off people's legs? Or was it his overly-passionate followers? I'd like to see some backup for
your statements. Regardless of their truth value, it would still be nice to know that you aren't pulling this out of your ash. maybe some actual
quotes from the Koran or possibly some commentary by a noted literary critic? Eh? if you don't, then I could run around saying Moses was a child
molester without proving it.
3. Maybe I'm just ignorant, but NEVER have I heard Mahommed been called the "liberator of women." Sounds more like a title Ellen Degeneres or
Mellissa Etheridge. But seriously, where did you get that? Now, last prophet of God, the true and final word of God, and the messiah. Those are names
I HAVE heard. Oh, and don't single out the Koran my friend. Go look at jsut about every book of ancient text. Oh, and half of the laws you spat out
were laws right here at home (or at least, my home). Yes friend, the good old US of A. Women's testimony was alwys only worth half of a man's. And
since when did Allah tell women not to come out? i would like some proof, because I'm stubborn.
4. OK, once again, I'd like some proof. And don't tell me to go researching, these are your claims. Sure, to me, a 53 year old and a 9 year old
seems pretty screwed up, but news flash! There is no universal code of ethics or an understood moral law. Different cultures, different morals. Look
at it man: cannibalism, slavery, capital punishment, etc. etc. etc. Different places, different morals. But hey, you could throw away the whole
paragraph I just gave but the question still hangs....WHERE DID YOU GET THAT FROM?
5. Wow...so does Judaism. it's not surprising. hey! Go read a line from Revelations in which it basically says all non-believers, murderers, thieves,
blah blah blah shall be cast into the fiery pit of Hell. Now that seems a little drastic doesn't it? Throwing a simple non-believer in the same
horrible fate as a murderer. They ALL promote violence towards those who don't believe.
Basically, your claim is lame. Get some proof and maybe I'll at least consider it...
but probably not.