How do I apply for Government grant to Weatherize my home?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I have been searching online for a way to tap into the billions of dollars directed at the one million homes to be weatherized and all I can find are sites that want my money to send software for learning how and where to apply.

I know that there have to be ways of getting funding needed, but how? Where do I start? I went to the Whitehouse site but all of my searches left me more perplexed then when I started.

Seems like there is a lot of talk about these grants and loans but no way to apply now before they are all taken.

If you work for a Governmental agency and wish to let me know, you can u2u me if it is private, or I will be checking back here as frequently as the thread lives.

I am certain I am not the only one who could use help.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
This reminds me of the year when I was out of work, Christmas just around the corner and I set out to find Toys for Tots...

Never did find out how to do anything but donate, none of the sponsors knew nor the stores that accepted the donation boxes...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Toys for tots is a tough list to get onto. A friend of mine volunteers for them, I think they mainly donate their stuff to other organizations to distribute. I very well could be wrong, but I think thats how it works.

For your other problem. Funny how all of the direct links to the Gov. organization are down. I tried dozens of them, all 404 errors. Amazed at the scams out there regarding grants, had no idea.

Closest I came for you is here. Says you need to register however, and I wont vouch for the legitimacy of that site. I dont need a weatherization grant so Im not giving up my personal info.

Hope it works, if not, good luck to you.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Start at your local HUD dept. I know here they handle the rebates for when you change the landscaping of your yard to desert friendly. As for toys for tots, they usually donate to families in HUD housing, here anyway.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I am glad you posted about the grants. I see the same information on all this money to be given out as grants. I am a widow, in my 50's, children gone from home and my house is literally falling apart from a nine year drought with a leaking roof and walls crumbling. My house is in a rural area, but I am living in a small town in my moms house, as she passed away last year.
It seems there is always one criteria that I do not meet such as some big disability or my acreage must be a farm. I can't afford to farm. The local community block grants are generally to benefit the community one lives in such as beautification project, library needs, etc.

I would order the kit if I could be rather sure that it was legitimate. I don't usually buy over the net, I am skeptic about alot of the sites. If I find out any good information I will let you know.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Thank You for the replies, I too am not trusting enough to take a risk on these sites that advertise grants. They want your information first before they tell you it costs money.

As for HUD and such, I am not even certain we have a HUD here.

This is what I do know, that our local area community services have weatherization kits, which include those cheap packets of plastic film you blow dry onto your windows, if a child touches it, an animal walks past they fall off. If there is a gust of wind, they fall off. They are a pain and not worth the time to go get them.

I am concerned that the weatherization program falls under the same application process as applying for energy assistance.

If President Obama vows to reduce the energy efficiency of our homes, I could take a million dollars worth of the cheap a$$ plastic and put it on every window in America. I pray this is not going to be putting a 100billion dollar band aid on a amputated limb.

We will see, maybe tomorrow when some of our members who work in Government come on and can shed some light and point us in the right direction.

I am not so strapped that I cannot buy some cheap film to put over my windows, I am just far to practical and find the film to be a huge waste of my money and time.

In this dire time of economic crisis are we going to spend 100billion to buy 1,000 dollars worth of plastic and rave that we have done something good for the enviroment and people in need?

Forgive me if I am wrong, but the transparency of this undertaking has me lost in the wilderness of confusion. If when I search for the reality of what they plan to do, I find nothing but words that say they are going to help. That does sound good to me, I wont even list what I need done at my home, but I have this terrible feeling its going to ammount to cheap film plastic at the cost of our countries economy.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
U2U me your location, doesn't need to be exact address just city I'll look into it deeper for you. I'm on the side that thinks Obama is full of crap but I I will try to help those I think need help. Sometimes it seems neither side in politics wants to help in a clear and easy manner.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

I don't know if this guy is a scam or not.. But I have heard about him before.. Matthew Lesko.
LESKO'S CHEAT-SHEETS FOR GETTING FREE GOVERNMENT MONEY

Getting Government Grants takes effort. My book's will point you in the right direction but the final leg of your effort will be writing that all important business plan/application and that's where I can now help you with my Cheat Sheets!

Now granted.. This guy is a bit loony and wears those tacky suits.. And its always yelling about how he can get you government grants and stuff..

I didnt see it posted here so this was my first thought..
However.. Ive not given this to much thought, and this guy might be a scam. So its always best to recheck and not buy into his stuff right away before you do some deeper research..

But figured that would be a start or a place to look..

[edit on 31-1-2009 by zysin5]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
If you find out.. please let me know... Also, any grant to build a "civil defense" shelter would be nice... 3rd, any grant to purchase solar pannels, generators, windmills, aux power of any type.

U2U me if you get information, so far I have not been able to find anything.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
only organizations get awarded grants...

the best you can possibly do is contact your power utility, 'They'
are the holders & distributers of these 'grants'... the utility will

give options like winterizing & weatherizing with insulation at a reduced
(by grant money) price passed on to you the head-of-household/taxpayer

the utilities can have programs to buy at reduced terms, central HVAC
or storm doors/windows... some mayeven have access to solar arrays
for waterheaters.

Your utility is the best starting place, as they channel the gov't sponsered initiatives and programs....
at least that's my understanding...
If you have a HUD office, they can probably direct you to the grant programs... but since you don't have the recordkeeping staff and the levels of personnel to oversee the installation of the products the 'grant'
covers...you will be the absolute last-in-line

just about like everything else, you'll have to spend money to access
the freebies....like hiring a agent or lawyer to cut through the red tape of
bureaucracy or one will be on a waiting list for a long time.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Studio

Some cheap plastic. The utilities charge 100 dollars to give you 20.00 worth of cheap plastic that falls off when the wind from the leaking windows hits them.

The utility companies will for that 100 dollars send a man out that gets paid 25 dollars plus an hour to tell you what needs to be done, DUHHHH.

The utilities will supply you with fluorescent light bulbs that when broken are so toxic you have to leave your home. You cannot dispose of them in the garbage and they have no place for you to take them.

1 million homes will get 1,000 dollars worth of cheap plastic and billions will be made in propaganda shouting to the world and the higher echelon that help was on its way and delivered!!!!!

Do you understand? I need some real help, I just want to know if there is any real help out there. I have celings that drip when it rains, mold growing in my walls, my childrens bedroom unliveable in the winter because it is sooo cold, no heat in my home and no cool in the summer.

I need insulation placed in the walls, underneath and above my home, there is none.

On the surface I manage for it to look normal, it is not.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I guess what I do not want to see yet fear will happen is that homes will not be weatherized but a superficial bailout will happen at the expense of the American economy.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

FEMA) head Michael Brown claimed unbelievably that he “didn’t know they were there.” Still, George W. Bush told him during a briefing, “Brownie, you’re doing a heck of a job.”

Perhaps Bush was referring to how quickly no-competitive-bid contracts to political friends like Halliburton and Bechtel were being doled out.

Neglected Public Services
For generations, Katrina will stand as a tragic example of how Bush’s public services and pro-privatization policies have imperiled this nation, and how cutting taxes and starving the nation’s infrastructure can turn a horrible storm into a series of nightmares. Had they not been neglected, the levees might have held. Had the Bush administration not outsourced and privatized disaster management, FEMA might have been there when people needed help. As public outrage grew, President Bush promised to “do what it takes . . . to help citizens rebuild their communities and their lives.” His administration has yet to make good on the claim.

Meanwhile, once vibrant neighborhoods remain littered with debris and stench. Fewer than half of the area’s hospitals are functioning. Big Charity Hospital, which employed many AFSCME members, remains closed. From the Lower Ninth Ward to East Biloxi, survivors have yet to receive any real aid from the government. For several months following Katrina, hundreds of empty FEMA trailers remained unused while thousands of homeless struggled to survive. Today, thousands continue to live in FEMA trailers. Others await insurance payments so they can rebuild. Just this February, the first new houses were completed in the Lower Ninth Ward, and more than a quarter of a million people remain displaced from their homes.

www.afscme.org...

Still hurting and lied to.

The tragic survivors of the past several Hurricanes have continued to be ripped off by unscrupulous workers and families have fallen apart as promises from the government under GWB fell short of anything but the massive and scandalous handouts to the privileged, never to reach the intended beneficiaries.

Call me jaded, but just who will benefit from this billion dollar plus promise to help a million homes get weatherized? Do we start with the homes still unfinished in Florida and New Orleans and Texas? For those in serious need of real weatherization, do they get handed some cheap plastic too? Or will we just forget about them and move on to the tornado ravaged areas, the flood areas, the drought areas, affected by not only weather modification but lacking of funds to do anything but maintain the basics of survival mode?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar

FEMA) head Michael Brown claimed unbelievably that he “didn’t know they were there.” Still, George W. Bush told him during a briefing, “Brownie, you’re doing a heck of a job.”

Perhaps Bush was referring to how quickly no-competitive-bid contracts to political friends like Halliburton and Bechtel were being doled out.

Neglected Public Services
For generations, Katrina will stand as a tragic example of how Bush’s public services and pro-privatization policies have imperiled this nation, and how cutting taxes and starving the nation’s infrastructure can turn a horrible storm into a series of nightmares. Had they not been neglected, the levees might have held. Had the Bush administration not outsourced and privatized disaster management, FEMA might have been there when people needed help. As public outrage grew, President Bush promised to “do what it takes . . . to help citizens rebuild their communities and their lives.” His administration has yet to make good on the claim.

Meanwhile, once vibrant neighborhoods remain littered with debris and stench. Fewer than half of the area’s hospitals are functioning. Big Charity Hospital, which employed many AFSCME members, remains closed. From the Lower Ninth Ward to East Biloxi, survivors have yet to receive any real aid from the government. For several months following Katrina, hundreds of empty FEMA trailers remained unused while thousands of homeless struggled to survive. Today, thousands continue to live in FEMA trailers. Others await insurance payments so they can rebuild. Just this February, the first new houses were completed in the Lower Ninth Ward, and more than a quarter of a million people remain displaced from their homes.

www.afscme.org...

Still hurting and lied to.

The tragic survivors of the past several Hurricanes have continued to be ripped off by unscrupulous workers and families have fallen apart as promises from the government under GWB fell short of anything but the massive and scandalous handouts to the privileged, never to reach the intended beneficiaries.

Call me jaded, but just who will benefit from this billion dollar plus promise to help a million homes get weatherized? Do we start with the homes still unfinished in Florida and New Orleans and Texas? For those in serious need of real weatherization, do they get handed some cheap plastic too? Or will we just forget about them and move on to the tornado ravaged areas, the flood areas, the drought areas, affected by not only weather modification but lacking of funds to do anything but maintain the basics of survival mode?

Why should I pay for people to weatherize their homes, or pay to have their houses re-built- especially for those who live below sea level, in the flood plain of America's largest river, and who don't have insurance? What ever happened to a little personal responsibility? I know it is just easier to blame President Bush.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

How do I apply for Government grant to Weatherize my home?

Hire a grant writer.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

this is who i thought of too.i have one of his books.it saysyou can find out who's getting the $ congress hands out in grants by sending away for a free publication called"grants and foundation support".its a congressionalresearch service report which helps grantseeekers find sources of funding, both gov't and private,and grant proposal developement.it says to request it through Your Congressmen's Office,U.S.Congress,Washington,DC 20515 ;or online at .this book is from 1998 and ihaven't tried it myself,but matthew lesko isreputable.let us know what you find out.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
antar, some states have "weatherization programs" with maximus income and resource limits. In Alaska, the program is listed in the phone book under State agencies. The Public Assistance Office near you could have the applications or should at least have the number to call.

I've heard good and bad things about the existing program. The good: yeah, they came to my house and replaced all my windows and doors, put up insulation (in walls with no existing drywall), and it's great. The bad: Those bozos hired by the state did a worse job than I could have done myself. There is probably significant fraud, as there seems to be with every government program. And, yes, it's somewhat like the process of applying for the heating assistance program.

The idea presented by a fellow poster about becoming a grant writer is a good one, if you're so inclined. That way, you would have more control over where and how the money is spent.

Just some thoughts I hope are of some help.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu

Why should I pay for people to weatherize their homes, or pay to have their houses re-built- especially for those who live below sea level, in the flood plain of America's largest river, and who don't have insurance? What ever happened to a little personal responsibility? I know it is just easier to blame President Bush.

"weatherize". Do you mean weather-proof?

It never ceases to amaze me that whenever U.K. gets a couple of inches of rain and parts of the country grind to halt (again) we have our roaming news teams wading through home-owners living-rooms and kitchens dodging effluent and rubber ducks (not the antennae).

"Why can't the authorities help us? It's their job to help because we're stupid and bought a house on a flood plain and demanded they build a tarmac car park on that unsightly scrub-land that used to be soak-away."

Sheep, sheep everywhere. The little woolly buggers are all over the place...

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

there are some charitable organiztions and trust that will pay for home repairs for low income families. you have to be referred to them by your county department of family services. so you might start there.

2nd option is to get in touch with your local housing authority they will beable to help you as well.

3rd option get in touch with your federal elected reps, they can point you in the right direction on receiving federal funds.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions or think i can help you in anyway send me a U2U I'll help you as much as i can

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join