It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teleportation Milestone Achieved!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Scientists have come a bit closer to achieving the "Star Trek" feat of teleportation. No one is galaxy-hopping, or even beaming people around, but for the first time, information has been teleported between two separate atoms across a distance of a meter — about a yard.

This is a significant milestone in a field known as quantum information processing, said Christopher Monroe of the Joint Quantum Institute at the University of Maryland, who led the effort.

Teleportation is one of nature's most mysterious forms of transport: Quantum information, such as the spin of a particle or the polarization of a photon, is transferred from one place to another, without traveling through any physical medium. It has previously been achieved between photons (a unit, or quantum, of electromagnetic radiation, such as light) over very large distances, between photons and ensembles of atoms, and between two nearby atoms through the intermediary action of a third.

www.livescience.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I cant even imagine what sort of computer power it will take to memorize the
whole atom structure of a human. And how it will scan all the atoms.
They need to scan the whole structure instantly because the body is constantly moving.
I think that teleportation is more difficult than anti gravity.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by defiler]

[edit on 27-1-2009 by defiler]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
That wouldn't really be teleporting... more like copying yourself in a different place, it would be nice maybe to make organs for transplants, or creating your favorite dishes instantly.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I remember seeing a brief blurb on the World nightly news... that teleportation had been achieved in a lab at MIT. Researchers had successfully teleported and orange from one work bench to another. Totally deconstructing the atoms or molecules and re-constructing them on another bench 12 feet away... I was amazed and watched for the rest of the report all night.

It was completely squashed. Never heard another thing about it.... I watched all night and the subsequent days , nothing.

We have already achieved it but as usual the technology is being suppressed.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Your right. If a bunch of college students could do this, imagine what the government can do with nothing but smart thinktanks and may b a blank check can do?

I hate knowledge suppression!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
jumproom technology already exists just like a base on mars and the moon.

Bill: No, no no no... he said they’re JUMPROOMS, they're jumprooms. And I started to pay very close attention cause this is the kind of, it's like its not... but then afterwards I realized that you had said it was called jumpgate technology. But I was talking with Henry, and I was talking about jumpgates, so I may have changed it a little bit with my own memory. And he said, No, they're jumprooms.

David: Daniel didn’t know what... I mean I don’t know if he had the word 'jumpgate' from them or not. But basically, in case you're not following this, a jumpgate is allegedly a stable traversable wormhole between two locations, which works whenever you want to go.

I’d heard that it was probably called 'jumpgate', Daniel wasn’t sure. So now you’re saying that it is actually called a jumproom.

Bill: It’s called a jumproom. And I’ll tell you what a jumproom is, and maybe you can get it as I’m describing it - just as Henry started to describe it, and I got it immediately. He said it’s a... and I said. "You mean like an elevator." And he said, "That’s exactly what it's like." He said there’s a room like an elevator. You go in the doors. The doors close behind you. Then the doors open [snaps fingers]... and you're there.

www.projectcamelot.net...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Alter-Ego

That story rings a faint bell. You sure it wasn't Tron, because that is how the movie opens up. Should see it if you havn't.
OTOH, this is big news. Really big. A monkey wrench in the otherwise smooth machinery of academia.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
For something like this to work, it would have to scan all atoms in the body, save them somewhere, then send them over to the new location and another machine will read them and build another yourself, hopefully

Then the original is destroyed....

That doesn't sound very good

There was a short story about this, that every time someone used the machine for the first time, it failed to read something from the original body and the resulting copy was missing that part, which would be the soul, if any, or something very similar to this, i can't remember now, but
i read it a few years ago somewhere.

Every machine created by man is bound to fail at some point, that can't be avoided, what happens if there is data corruption? you will never be the same again?
or be, in the worst scenario...

Thank you, i'll walk

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
IIRC, this is nothing new. However, the milestone reached may be one of distance and the recoverability of data. I recall seeing similar reports out of Los Alamos in 2004, and from University of Heidelberg in 2008.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

What, where's your sense of adventure? Don't feel like standing downwind of a mushroom cloud either? Or strapping yourself on top of a 6.7 million pound bomb and be blown out somewhere that folks have only theories about?

If I die in the lab for this kind of progress, surely then my life will not have been lived in vain.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matyas
reply to post by Kaifan

What, where's your sense of adventure? Don't feel like standing downwind of a mushroom cloud either? Or strapping yourself on top of a 6.7 million pound bomb and be blown out somewhere that folks have only theories about?

If I die in the lab for this kind of progress, surely then my life will not have been lived in vain.

Sense of adventure? well yeah, i do have a lot of that, but this is not a cool trip, for instance, you know where you will be transported, this is just not fun, if there was risk like in traveling to another country or another planet where you don't know what you will find, well that's cool and all, but in this case, you will be teleported to other place, maybe, maybe not, this is just a matter of live or die without the fun attached to it, no dangers to fight on your way to whatever you are going, just plain simple boring stuff.

If you were to test an experimental airplane, that's fun, the speed, the sense of danger and all that, but this, nope, nothing, you enter the machine, never go out, you never knew what happen, you never noticed anything, or you wake up and you are a missing both legs and arms and that's it, oh the risk the fun! not...

Sorry but i don't see how this could be adventurous.

[edit on 28-1-2009 by Kaifan]

God... i can't write.

[edit on 28-1-2009 by Kaifan]

new topics

top topics

join