It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People who waste money in this economy: why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I hope this is the right forum for this. I got to thinking the other night about people who don't try to curb their spending, or even cut back. I was raised in a very frugal household, and that has carried with me. My husband, on the other hand, was raised as if it's not brand name, the top of the line, the most expensive, then it's not worth having.

We are not rich. We are mid middle class. In these economic times, he's lucky to have a job, and I do my best to save a buck. We are total opposites in this regard.

Just last week, I made some home made laundry soap, and he joked and made fun of me for it. I said he should be proud that I'm saving him money, and his reply to me was, " When I need a new sweater, I don't expect you to knit it. Are you going to whittle me a new car next week?"

The joke in our family is that if he can find the exact same item at kmart at $5.00 or at an expensive store for $50.00, he'll opt for the $50.00 store.

I don't understand this. I know there are people out there that are just like him. Some people find it below themselves to shop at low end stores and just throw money out the door.

Where does this mentality come from? I really don't understand this. I suspect there are alot of people out there on both sides. If you can save a few bucks, why not?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Your husband will feel very lucky to have you in the coming times.
Resourcefulness will be the best possible attribute.
We have been led to believe that these "name brand" items matter.
They of course don't.
People don't change their habits until they have to.
And - sometimes not even then.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
This illusion is from the media and your fellow friends on the smiling lie box in your living room. This person your talking about OP is simply a mass consumer, just the way the powers that be want him to behave.

They would rather opt for the shinier, newer, more expensive piece because then it makes them looked cultured and refined, they don't need to MAKE anything, they can have somebody else do it for them.

What they fail to realize is that in the reality of things, they're only making our problems worse by contributing the credit crunch and running businesses that refuse to "upgrade" to the 21st century.

It seems ridiculous, but there is a silver lining, these will be the people who loose everything first when the whole system crashes, and they won't know how to pick themselves up.

The "common sense" middle class will soon be the the leaders of the pact, the days of the rich and elite are numbered IMO. Not as numbered as i'd like them to be, probably more so then my own lifetime...but numbered none the less.

I hope my post doesn't offend you or your husband, it's meant as a generalization.

[edit on 1/27/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I think its more of the 'Illusion' painted by the media and entertainment industries.

Most TV channels you will see so much reality TV that it makes you sick.. or at Least to me it does.

I think people need to experience a 'hard knock life' to truly embrace a hard days work.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
It's crazy, people buy ipods when they're 5times the price of a generic mp3 player and have dozerns of features limited or disabled -insane.

Big name brands for cameras,etc ALWAYS make a generic model of their costly stuff and sell it cheeply -the only difference is the box and the lable yet the most expensive one sells the most units!

nasty suits sell for more than quality suits and people still bye them.

hehe and people wonder why our economy is falling to bits!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Some people like finer things. Most finer things last much longer than the cheaper ones. The desire for finer things also tends to make people more industrious so that they can continue to afford these finer things.

I know many people who will only buy used cars. I lease all my cars and spend less per year on my vehicles than they do. I drive a car that is never more than 3 years old and needs only rotine maintenance. They only drive cars that are over 3 years old that require quite a lot of ongoing maintenance.

The originalpurchase price is only the beginning of whether or not you are spending money wisely.

If eevryone thought like you a Wall Mart would be the only store anywhere.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Not offended at all. This is a topic that we go around and around on. It's a good thing I control the money.

When we were younger, he would complain that "everyone" was driving nice cars, had nice clothes, and nice electronics in their home and he felt he should too. I told him over and over again that these people weren't paying cash for these things, they were charging them. He refused to believe me. We have no credit card debt whatsoever, thanks to me.

He's always wanted to keep up with the Jone's, and I've always wanted to be a step behind them.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity

If he had it his way, we'd buy new, but since he has a company car, and I am the sole driver of my car, I refuse to pay a car payment. We stopped buying new cars about 8 yrs ago. I have a little ten year old gas saving car that I drive. I don't work, so I don't go many places. We do regular maintanance on the car and haven't had much problems at all with it. It actually was an old company car we got for $300. Look at all the money we saved in the last 6 yrs with a used car. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do for everyone, but it works for us.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by virraszto]

[edit on 27-1-2009 by virraszto]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

You're a very nice person. And I commend you for being patient with your spouse. If I had just finished making home made soap for some one and their only response was "what, are you going to whittle me a car next week?" I'm afraid they'd be farting big home made bubbles for the next week or two.

Also, will you teach me how to make home made soap? I've always wanted to try that.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Good to hear you keep him responsible. I live by a similar philosophy to you. What your husband does actually has a "technical term" (for lack of better word).

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I love your reply! I u2u'd you the recipe. Good luck with it. If you need help, just u2u me.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity

I take the opposite approach with vehicles. I have never paid more than 1000 for a car(and sometimes less than 500), all have lasted me multiple years, and i've only had to do minimal work on any of them. Granted, someone with no mechanical aptitude would not be a good candidate for this approach, but it has saved me tens of thousands over my friends who don't even know how to check their own oil.
My wife came to the same conclusion after a few years of seeing the possible savings, and we were able to save our money and get our own house. If we had a car payment on top of our mortgage, we would be struggling. The other great thing about cheap cars...liability only insurance only costs a couple hundred a year, not month. All my friends with the new cars with shiny wheels and expensive stereos live in crowded apartments, while i have a nice little house, nice shop, and a few acres of privacy. I think that we all just have different priorities, and the consumer driven society where you are judged more on what you have than what you are is what leads people to these decisions.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I have all the makings to make lye soap if the time comes and I need to, for now I am looking for a recipe for castile soap, I love it.

As for having a partner that is your polatr opposite, that is what makes for the balance needed in these or any time.

You have to live your life and enjoy even the simplest of luxuries as often as possible, this helps justify the reason you work so hard. Without the little pleasures, life becomes a luke warm boredom.

I had a great relationship with my ex husband, we are still friends to this day because of it, and we too had the balance of one who loved to shop and one that dreaded the holidays, birthdays and such. It does compliment a relationship to not be from the same mold.

new topics

top topics

join