It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska - Mt Redoubt Volcano could erupt within days

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
In other Volcano news:
Japan's Mount Asama erupts near Tokyo
No injuries or damage reported

--------------------

Air Force moves Alaska planes to Washington

U.S. Air Force aircraft and personnel are being relocated from Alaska to McChord Air Force Base near Tacoma as a precautionary measure due to heightened activity at Alaska's Mount Redoubt volcano.

The relocation, while temporary, is expected to last two to four weeks at a minimum, said Master Sgt. Dean J. Miller, a spokesman for the McChord base.

The aircraft and personnel are coming to McChord from Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska, which is located about 100 miles from the Redoubt volcano.

The Air Force sent three cargo aircraft from Elmendorf to McChord on Saturday and three more are expected Sunday night. Other aircraft may arrive within the next 24 to 48 hours.

McChord's own C-17 strategic airlift mission makes the base ideally suited to host the relocated aircraft and allows the Elmendorf airmen to continue to meet mission and training requirements, said Col. Jeffrey Stephenson, McChord's 62nd Airlift Wing commander.

"Our ability to quickly receive additional air power on short notice and continue to support the nation's worldwide strategic airlift requirements is a capability long-associated with McChord," Stephenson said.

"We've supported evacuations in the past, and we will gladly support our fellow airmen from Elmendorf as long as they need us."

If and when an eruption begins, it is expected to cause disruptions for civilian aircraft as well, officials said.

source

Other aircarft have already been diverted. Affecting weather data being collected for the US

[edit on 1-2-2009 by violet]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by violet
In other Volcano news:
Japan's Mount Asama erupts near Tokyo
No injuries or damage reported

--------------------

mt asama is only 200 km east of the central transmission of the global radio shortwave network near yamata.....

[edit on 2-2-2009 by welivefortheson]

[edit on 2-2-2009 by welivefortheson]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by welivefortheson

One erupted in Russia too

Ok, actually 2 volcanoes in Japan (Mount Sakurajima) and another in eastern Russia erupted overnight.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

The one in Japan erupted 7 times in all, and is most likely not done. See my thread and link:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
For those interested, the following seismic stations from Alaska Volcano Observatory network are now available for real-time view on GEE:

RDN (Redoubt North)
RED (Redoubt)
REF (Redoubt East Flank)
RSO (Redoubt South)

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
MP3 of the high intensity harmonic tremor captured by RSO station today at 11:43 UTC, played at 40x speed to make it audible, converted to audio file with PuterMan's QuakeData program:

Download link

Warning!
Don't play this file at a too high volume: it contains very low frequencies of high intensity that while they may not seem too loud for your ears, they are loud for your audio equipment.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Nice job

I just saw a bit on Fox about Redoubt having more activity today.

I'm going to be watching GEE & the web cams

M.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

Thanks. But you should really thank PuterMan for having made such a great program. For GEE remember that you have to manually add this network to be able to show AVO seismic stations:

"AV - Alaska Volcano Observatory"

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I must be doing something wrong but when I click on the link I get a warning for zangocash.com and spyware.. I also get a 'sign-up' page.. ??

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   

That link sets off all the alarms in my security. What is that site? Don't go there if you don't have good security folks. Something is wrong.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Redoubt is a beauty.. I think the only ‘real’ danger for local communities is if a flank collapse occurs and generates a tsunami that would travel down Cook Inlet – could have an impact on local coastal communities, but, the chances of that happening are about as slim as having a major earthquake so it’s a toss-up. Long time resident have dealt with Redoubt in ’89-90 and Spur in ’92 so they have an idea of how to prepare yet I worry about power outages in Anchorage because not everyone in Anchorage has a wood burning stove and it’s awful dang cold at the moment. Generators can’t function during ash fall in the great outdoors either so let’s hope no one is stupid enough to run one in their home. The ash also poses a potential problem until we get snow or rain and Feb is notoriously a dry month with little precipitation of any kind. Just another day in the great AK!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Redoubt had picked up over the last hour, could this be the one?

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I don't have any issue with that site with the Opera web browser.
I have uploaded the mp3 to another location anyway:

Download link (MediaFire)

[edit on 2009/2/2 by Shirakawa]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by akjen
Hi akjen,

I had no problems with that link or with downloading the file. But I'm using a Mozilla v3 browser with the latest build of AVG 8 running, so that might explain it. If you don't have your security up to date then it's worth doing. (And stay away from Internet Explorer if possible.)

About the audio: Shirakawa, I see what you mean about having the volume turned down...that's a heck of a rumble!
I also played it back at half speed and it's even more impressive. Awesome stuff -- many thanks!

PS: Star for your post...

Mike

[edit on 2/2/09 by JustMike]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
is anybody able to get a current webcam image of Redoubt ??? ... if so what web link ???

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by left turn only
Short answer: impossible for us to say unless we can identify a marked increase in long-period or ultra-long-period events. Right now, akjen and Blaine would be best placed to give practical observations as they're in the region.

Akjen: can you actually see the volcano from your place or do you have to drive up the mountain to use those binocs?

Mike

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Re Redoubt webcams,
HUT has not updated in over an hour, CI is a little more updated. CI link is

www.avo.alaska.edu...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by geogeek
Hi geogeek,

you can access the webcams via AVO.

Here's the link to the Redoubt CI cam.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Shoot I wish - I'm too low but plan on drivin up when she blows (weather permitting a clear view). Fog is way to heavy this morning but might clear off more in the evening, again.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

thanks !!!

P.S> You Alaska guys ... invite me (a poor Canadian oil Geophysicist) up to do some hiking around Spurr (or whatever) this summer ... youre so lucky , I'm supremely jealous

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join