It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska - Mt Redoubt Volcano could erupt within days

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

IO don't know how you can see anything in that webcam shot. The sun is shining so brightly it's impossible to see the mountain.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
The sun has finally gone below the mountain, giving us a nice clear view of.....

clouds. I think. Unless it clears up again we may just have to wait until the experts tell us it erupted. There's been ongoing volcanic tremors all day, I'm not sure we'll be able to tell from the webicorders either.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The pic I saw on Yahoo looked like a mushroom cloud!! I don't know much about volcanoes, do they look like this when they erupt?? Because I have never seen one do that. It also looks like the cloud is behind the volcano, not from it.???

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Ash clouds kinda do look like mushroom clouds when they float high enough in the atmosphere. Volcanos are wierd. that's for sure.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosis111

I don't know which pic you saw on Yahoo. There is a very dramatic mushroom cloud like pic from the last time it blew in 1989, taken with the sun shining orange behind it. Are you sure you aren't looking at that? The webcam currently looks like a mountain with some clouds obscuring the top. Very hum drum.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
While the Yahoo picture looks nothing like a mushroom cloud; and is a stock picture from AVO of a plume on Redoubt, there is a mushroomish picture of Redoubt in 1989 on the wiki page. I say mushroomish - because it too isn't shaped like an atomic mushroom cloud; but is similiar in size.

References:
news.yahoo.com... The Yahoo picture

en.wikipedia.org...(Alaska) The wiki picture of Redoubt in 1989 ... the reddish hued picture.

Alaska's long Winter nights are going to be a double hindrance to viewing the Mount. I see a lot of cloud cover rolling in on the webcam now ... so, tonight's viewing is pretty well over. We'll have to go by the alert status which is currently still ORANGE and WATCH.

Also on an unrelated note, I clearly saw Redoubt's plume earlier today; then I noticed that the plume disappeared and that's when the webicorder went full tilt. Just an observance, nothing more.

One final unrelated note, at the current moment the prevailing winds forecast for Redoubt has the wind carrying the ash away from Anchorage which is good news. That does not account for the initial ashfall though. This only accounts for the ash that is windblown. Evenso, people will be affected no matter which way the wind blows. I don't know whether or not to hope the wind does NOT shift ... but, for people in Anchorage, it's good news for the moment.

edit - Can a mod fix my Wiki url please? It's supposed to have the open and close parens around the word Alaska as well to work right and this editor won't take it. Thanks!

en.wikipedia.org...(Alaska)

[edit on 30-1-2009 by Trexter Ziam]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Telafree
reply to post by violet

IO don't know how you can see anything in that webcam shot. The sun is shining so brightly it's impossible to see the mountain.

It was another image befoe the sun one, it refreshes to the next image, and has again, so now it doesn't show. I did save it though.

I uploaded it to ats but it won't show for some reason

[edit on 30-1-2009 by violet]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Check out the webicorder for Redoubt

There are 5 distinct areas/times of increased seismicity, all with nulls in activity following them. It seems to me this thing is slowly building up more and more pressure each time one of these waves of activity comes. From 4:30-5:13, 6:13-7:09, 8:41-10:44, 12:53-17:27, and the most intense, by far is 19:38, with a brief null in activity from 21:00-21:12, all the way to present. If you see the patterns of chunks of activity, you will notice that the activity in each event is increasing, remarkedly in current event taking place at this moment. It releases the pressure in the events, goes null, and slowly builds back up, much stronger, each time another wave of seismicity appears on the webicorder. It's only going to keep doing this until it can't hold anymore pressure...then BOOOOM! This one could be a biggin' if a new large vent doesn't open to relieve the stress of this awakening monster, and could possibly blow within a day.
Fascinating stuff.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The latest from avo. alaska:

2009-01-30 14:35:54
Intense seismicity continues at Redoubt this afternoon. Clear webcam views, satellite, and radar data from earlier today indicate that the volcano has not yet erupted.

Clouds have moved in to obscure the webcam view over the last hour.

An AVO observation flight returned in the last hour and reports no sign of ash emission, but observed significant steaming from a new melt depression at the mouth of the summit crater near the vent area of the 1989-90 eruption.

The Aviation Color Code remains at ORANGE and the Volcano Alert Level remains at WATCH.

Says steam coming from a new melt place by 89 eruption vent.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SpadeofAces

I'm no good at reading those webrecorders, so thanks for your input.

A bit more info added to another update

"Intense seismicity continues at Redoubt this afternoon. .... An AVO observation flight returned in the last hour and reports no sign of ash emission, but observed significant steaming from a new melt depression at the mouth of the summit crater near the vent area of the 1989-90 eruption."

AVO

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
does someone have a good webcam site for this....all I got were .jpgs on the one posted most recently.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
If the pattern holds true, the next large activity at Redoubt, be it an eruption, or just some intense seismicity, should occur around 3:15-4:00 on the webicorders time-table. I'm eager to find out.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by violet
reply to post by Blaine91555

Have a radio too in case the power goes out.
Also if you're on satellite TV or radio, I'm not sure it has emergency broadcast sytems in place.

Good luck, you better go and do your final preps, it starting to look like an eruption could be soon.

Thank you for the concern. I have a generator and everything else I need. Whatever happens it will only be a problem for a couple of days. I just spoke with someone who was here for the last one and he said nothing shut down and the ash was a problem for a day. I can hold out for a few days without power or anything. Living up here, many people are more prepared. Although I'm surprised at the number of people who don't seen to even know about it.

I found plenty of masks and the right goggles. Home Depot has them in bins and signs. They are all the type recomended by USGS, so good to go. The parts store was out of air filters though. I bought some filters to cover the intake which I'm told is the best method when you drive.

It has calmed down again and I guess that it could go now or two weeks from now, they don't really know. It may yet not go at all.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
The pic from Wiki -

Its so cloudy now that nobody would see it this go around. We have had a few inches of snow today.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

I found plenty of masks and the right goggles. Home Depot has them in bins and signs. They are all the type recomended by USGS, so good to go. The parts store was out of air filters though. I bought some filters to cover the intake which I'm told is the best method when you drive.

edit: P.S. Thanks Blaine for getting the Wiki picture! The mods didn't fix my URL. Thanks!

Great Blaine! I had read of places being out of masks and goggles until Monday; so, was concerned.

If she doesn't blow this time ... you are still ready for next time.

On a side note; I might comment that the nice "mushroomish" reddish hue picture we've seen of Redoubt in 1989 isn't actually a picture of the volcanic eruption. It's a picture of an "ash column" that formed over the lava flow on the North side of Redoubt in Spring 1990.

[edit on 30-1-2009 by Trexter Ziam]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Getting close?

news.yahoo.com...

..scientists from the Alaska Volcano Observatory warned that an eruption was imminent..

That is the first time I've seen "imminent" in an MSM report.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

That has been the status for a couple of days. They say 3 days to two weeks.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
Getting close?

news.yahoo.com...

..scientists from the Alaska Volcano Observatory warned that an eruption was imminent..

That is the first time I've seen "imminent" in an MSM report.

As far as I know AVO hasn't used that word concerning this event, they've said "Likelihood of an eruption" and that the chances are 50 -70%.

EDIT to add:
They have said "Should earthquake activity or other monitoring data suggest that an eruption is expected within hours, or is underway, AVO would move Redoubt from its current Aviation Color Code ORANGE to RED, and Alert Level WATCH to WARNING

According to the above, the red code status may not be issued in enough time before the eruption begins, so to me that means the "watch" code orange should be taken as a warning - now, not waiting for it to move to red. I guess in a way it should be considered imminent so people are prepared.

[edit on 31-1-2009 by violet]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Amazing picture! That is natures finest... What is the latest news today? What is happening? Stay safe.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

What is happening is that the activity has subsided down to near background levels for many hours.

2009-01-31 05:21:10
Since late Friday afternoon, seismic activity has been relatively low at Redoubt; however, it is still above normal background levels. The volcano is in a state of unrest.

AVO continues to observe potential activity with seismic, satellite and radar data. The volcano has not erupted.

An AVO observation flight yesterday afternoon reported no sign of ash emission, but observed significant steaming from a new melt depression at the mouth of the summit crater near the vent area of the 1989-90 eruption.

The Aviation Color Code remains at ORANGE and the Volcano Alert Level remains at WATCH.

www.avo.alaska.edu...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join