It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska - Mt Redoubt Volcano could erupt within days

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Hope you can keep us posted on your experience.
Keep safe

St Helens ash dusted where I lived when it blew, but I was on holiday and missed the event.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I've been watching Redoubt for a little over a week now because I have family up there. This morning, I decided it's time to make emails and phone calls to them.

I woke my brother and he claimed he was "prepared" because he had a "tub full of water." I was like WHOA! What about goggles and face mask? No! He didn't have those but considered himself prepared.

The newest member of our family's parents considered themselves prepared as well; and they too had no goggles or face masks. I explained to them about the ash and their reply was simply, "let's HOPE it doesn't come up here (Anchorage)." I let them know that HOPE won't save them, being PREPARED was what matters.

My point here to those who have not inhaled a lungful of ash is - "IT HURTS!" You FEEL the ash all the way down your nasal passages, throat and even IN your lungs! It FEELS like angelhair - that fine glass blanket stuff they used to use for fake Christmas tree snow. I only had a BRIEF dosage of it. Just imagine what it does over a prolonged period of time!

So, for any of you Anchorage area people who feel you are "prepared" but have no goggles and face mask ... I'm telling you, you are NOT prepared ... go get them!

My vision can NOT be repaired to 20/20 with glasses. My lungs are dried up even now, a good decade after a brief exposure.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

Some people don't get worried about things, and may not be prepared. It's always best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. It's a good idea for all of us living near volcanoes to have these masks and goggles before an eruption is imminent, because then they'll be sold out. I'm going to get them too, on my next trip to a hardware store. They didn't have them at the pharmacy when I asked. You think they would or at least the preparedness websites tell you where they're sold. I don't even know what type of goggles! Construction ones, kid's swimming goggles? Funny how my area's prep sites with what should be in an emergency kit doesn't include anything about volcanoes. It's mainly all for earthquakes and floods. Could be volcanoes usually give warnings of impending eruptions, then they'd tell us

Speaking of EQ"s there was one nearby in Seattle today. 4.6 I believe.

This web cam image doesn't match the original image of Redoubt. Can't tell if it's just a cloud or something happening?

Here's a page for you Alaskan's

Alaska - citizen preparedness links

[edit on 30-1-2009 by violet]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

Here's a URL with the TYPE of breathing mask you need.

www.muni.org...

It didn't mention what 'type' of goggles; and I merely presumed the old Jr. High School lab goggles or swimming goggles would suffice, the idea is to keep the ash out of your eyes.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
FEMA National Situation Report for today, Jan 30

Earthquake/Volcano Activity - Redoubt

Redoubt Volcano is a stratovolcano located within a few hundred miles of more than half of the population of Alaska. A volcanic eruption has the potential to occur within days due to increased levels of seismicity at the Redoubt Volcano. Seismicity remains well above background levels. A further increase in seismic activity is expected to accompany an eruption.

The largest impact to infrastructure is the possibility of damage and loss of production capability to natural gas wells and transmission facilities from ashfall. Anchorage is supplied with natural gas for power generation from two sources, the Beluga Gas Fields and the Drift River area production platforms in the Cook Inlet. Turbine compressors could be damaged or need to be shut down and would stop the transmission of natural gas to power generation facilities. This lack of power generation would affect the entire Anchorage area.

Another area of concern is the Drift River Oil Terminal located just northwest of Redoubt volcano in the drainage area of the Drift River into the Cook Inlet. Marine Safety Detachment Kenai reports that the Drift River Oil Terminal is a manned facility and has seven 270,000 barrel storage tanks. The facility is accessible only by boat or aircraft. Alaska Volcano Observatory Staff are currently monitoring the volcano 24 hours a day.

There is concern for aviation within the ash affected areas. There are no reports of damages or injuries and no requests for Federal assistance at this time

FEMA

[edit on 30-1-2009 by violet]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
reply to post by violet

Here's a URL with the TYPE of breathing mask you need.

www.muni.org...

It didn't mention what 'type' of goggles; and I merely presumed the old Jr. High School lab goggles or swimming goggles would suffice, the idea is to keep the ash out of your eyes.

Thanks

I figured any goggles would do, as long as they fit securely around the eyes.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam

The newest member of our family's parents considered themselves prepared as well; and they too had no goggles or face masks. I explained to them about the ash and their reply was simply, "let's HOPE it doesn't come up here (Anchorage)." I let them know that HOPE won't save them, being PREPARED was what matters.

My point here to those who have not inhaled a lungful of ash is - "IT HURTS!" You FEEL the ash all the way down your nasal passages, throat and even IN your lungs! It FEELS like angelhair - that fine glass blanket stuff they used to use for fake Christmas tree snow. I only had a BRIEF dosage of it. Just imagine what it does over a prolonged period of time!

So, for any of you Anchorage area people who feel you are "prepared" but have no goggles and face mask ... I'm telling you, you are NOT prepared ... go get them!

My vision can NOT be repaired to 20/20 with glasses. My lungs are dried up even now, a good decade after a brief exposure.

I know you know how serious it is, due to your own exposure. I hope you can impress upon them that this can cause life long breathing problems for their child if they do not take it seriously. When you have an infant it is not the time to be macho about this stuff. Go buy masks or have an alternative ready to go and a well sealed room for your child in the event they are all sold out.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
The webcam is up.

webcams

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I think it just blew? Wow pic:

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

maybe just the sun?

[edit on Fri Jan 30th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The AVO site is overwhelmed again. Probably the best way to get updates is via Twitter, go to:

www.twitter.com... and search for "redoubt"

Also follow the official updates here:

twitter.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
that looks like the sun to me

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
13 minutes ago they reported this via twitter:

Redoubt: Seismicity at Redoubt has increased markedly over the last 20 minutes. Clear webcam views and pilot reports indicate that the volcano has not yet erupted. The Aviation Color Code remains at ORANGE and the Volcano Alert Level remains at WATCH

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Nothing about it blowing yet. I should know shortly as a emergency message will come on the TV.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Telafree

ok, phew, new pic... didn't blow....Ima shuttup

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

The sun hovers not far above the horizon this time of year. We are pretty far north and only a month out from the shortest day. At mid-day the sun is not that far up in the sky.

It appears to have calmed down again. I better run shopping while I can.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
my prayers are with you Blaine, you and all those affected by this scary thing.

When Mt. St. Helen's re awoke in 2004, I remember being very worried but then she never erupted explosively in any way to affect me. THe only ash eruptions took the ash in the opposite direction of my home so I was luckily never affected.

Again, I will be praying for you and Alaskans in general in hopes that it doesn't erupt.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Come on!?!?!

What else can go wrong??

How about some good news!!

Anyone got anything? Something?

Thought so.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Have a radio too in case the power goes out.
Also if you're on satellite TV or radio, I'm not sure it has emergency broadcast sytems in place.

Good luck, you better go and do your final preps, it starting to look like an eruption could be soon.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Telafree
13 minutes ago they reported this via twitter:

Redoubt: Seismicity at Redoubt has increased markedly over the last 20 minutes. Clear webcam views and pilot reports indicate that the volcano has not yet erupted. The Aviation Color Code remains at ORANGE and the Volcano Alert Level remains at WATCH

This was just before that update. They're updating several times an hour now.

Seismicity at Redoubt is still well above background. Over the last hour, Redoubt has become visible by webcam and a steam plume rising just above the summit is present.

That must be the last pic I saw, thought it might be cloud.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Very interesting topic indeed. I originally found out about this on CNN. I will follow this and see what develops. Hope everything plays out ok....

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join