Alaska - Mt Redoubt Volcano could erupt within days

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I think they've said earlier that SO2 and other gases have been confirmed, beginning in september 08

"Overflights on January 26 and 27 documented continued production of water vapor and volcanic gas plumes from the summit crater; increased melting has produced small flows of debris at the north base of the volcano."

EDITED for clarity: from an earlier update
"AVO conducted a gas-measurement flight yesterday afternoon, and detected elevated values of SO2 venting from the volcano's summit crater."

latest update:

Seismicity at Redoubt is varying in intensity but is still above background. Since early evening, we have observed two episodes of higher amplitude seismicity lasting several hours each.

AVO

[edit on 30-1-2009 by violet]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Another update ... wonder if it's getting closer to eruption.

2009-01-30 00:55:33
Seismicity at Redoubt has changed character this evening. Since early evening, we have observed several periods of volcanic tremor increasing in amplitude through time.

This activity is more energetic than that of the previous several days, however it is still less vigorous than that observed last weekend.

AVO

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Is it just me or is the Alaska Redoubt site down? I keep getting a timed out. Is there any other site that monitor Redoubt?
All the earthquakes going off and whats happening with Yellowstone and Redoubt make me wonder whats next?

Just got on the site and it said this.

"Due to very high load on our web server, we can only support a very limited website. We are working to remedy the situation as quickly as possible. Thanks!"

[edit on 30/1/09 by freemindmine]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by freemindmine

They have a limited site up now. They were overwhelmed when this went national.

From what I can find out calling people locally its not panic time yet, but close. I personally need a few more hours to find more air filters for my truck which has a custom intake. I may have to fabricate some from heater filters to get by. The main danger is to our vehicles.

Latest Redoubt Observations: 2009-01-30 07:57:51
Seismicity at Redoubt is varying in intensity but is still well above background. We have seen higher amplitude seismicity for the past several hours but appears to be subsiding a bit at this time.

The Aviation Color Code remains at ORANGE and the Volcano Alert Level remains at WATCH. No eruption has occurred at this time.

From my reading last night, a major eruption is possible but unlikely. They expect it to be the same as the 89/90 one. We should get about an inch of ash and it should not be much more than an inconvenience cleaning up.

Worst case we will get a major ash fall which means roofs collapsing from the weight. My house would be OK, but I'm concerned about my garage which has a flat roof. I'm going to leave a ladder set up and a scoop shovel out in case.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

If she does blow I hope you keep safe, Where you there the last time she went off in 89/90? What was it like? I live in the UK so have never even been close to one of these bad boys.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
We should get about an inch of ash and it should not be much more than an inconvenience cleaning up.

Worst case we will get a major ash fall which means roofs collapsing from the weight. My house would be OK, but I'm concerned about my garage which has a flat roof. I'm going to leave a ladder set up and a scoop shovel out in case.

So what about the issue of breathing that stuff? Aren't 100 micron or better filters needed, or was that all Supervolcano hoopla?

Doesn't it depend on the type of eruption? And so I take it no one's concerned because Redoubt's eruption doesn't contain anything too nasty.... ahhh, ok, thanks for clearing that up.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I was not here in 90 but have spoken with people who were.

As far as filters, those 3M filters they sell in Home Depots and such meet the requirements. When the website was working it had the information about that.

I was in ash in Portland after St. Helens and it is mainly just physical cleanup work. While it is falling you stay indoors and wait it out.

I noticed on the webicorder graphs that the seismicity is coming in waves of increasing frequency and length. I'm thinking not much longer.
Look at this one.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
How far can ash travel on the prevailing winds?

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

There is still a small possibility of a Major eruption which would be bad. Far more ash, buildings collapsing, pyroclastic flows which could be devastating to those on the Kenai Peninsula.

Ash is very heavy and just a few inches will collapse a roof.

It also depends on the wind direction at the time of the eruption. It could come right at us or away.

The dust masks were sold out yesterday. Fred Meyers had a plane with them coming but it got delayed until Monday
I have some in my woodshop in the garage, so I'm good. You can also wet a cotton T-Shirt and get by with that.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

The last one circled up through Fairbanks and down through Canada and some made it all the way to Texas along with the jet stream. There are maps of it when the AVO site gets back up.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
While it is falling you stay indoors and wait it out.

Hmm, and so do you keep a measure somewhere and monitor how much is accumulating on the roof from time to time, especially if it rains?

I noticed on the webicorder graphs that the seismicity is coming in waves of increasing frequency and length. I'm thinking not much longer.
Look at this one.

Actually, I have seen a good bit more intense than that already over the past few days. But yeah, those are clearly, sustained beading harmonic tremors, although smaller than some others.

Makes me wonder if things are relative a bit. Like if it takes a good while for a smaller volcano like Redoubt to erupt with all these signs, will YS provide that much more warning relative to its size...?

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
To be honest I'm on here because I'm actually very nervous. There is a tiny chance of huge eruption and Redoubt is one of Anchorages greatest dangers. The people monitoring it are making no secret that it is going to go and just don't know how big it will be. The most probable is a repeat of last time, but a big one is possible with this volcano. Winter is the worst time for this if we loose power which means no heat. I have gas heater on my enclosed porch, so if need be I can heat a 20 x 30 foot area of my home and keep it at about 60 degrees.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Thanks I have a child that had RSV as a baby and I always worry about him...

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I only had one Semester of study on Volcano's in College back in the early 70's. I'm not really up to speed. Need a mineral identified, I'm your guy but this is out of my schooling.

I'm going more on the reports from AVO. We also get more info via the radio and such. On the local news they speak directly with those who are monitoring before they go on the air.

If they get the site back, it has a great list of possible scenarios which is where I got this info last night.

In Portland I saw it first hand and shoveled it first hand so to speak. I still have a jar of that ash. The ash is heavy. It is glass. I'd think 3 inches or more would be dangerous to structures. I know my roof will handle 5 feet of snow. If it gets out of hand I get on the roof and start shoveling.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I really wish you the best and please stay safe. Remember if it rains while that stuff is on your roof, take extra care. It gets REAL heavy. They've probably measured best they can the magma volume, and are likely accurate in their predictions. But I hear you. You just never really know with these things, but I believe they are getting better at it all the time.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Will it be possible to actually go out and shovel off the roof? Are there safe places set up for people to go and be safe from teh effects of ash?

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Thanks for the best wishes. I'll be fine. It is snowing which I'm sure won't help.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Yes, with a mask on. I don't know about shelters and now that you bring it up, I should check. I'll be fine. Luckily I have the money to go get a room in a new Hotel with its own power and a new structure if need be. Now that I think of it a spa tub would be cool
Having money and a pocket full of plastic does ease the mind a bit.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   

(CNN) -- In the shadows of Mount Redoubt, Alaskans are calmly waiting for the volcano to erupt -- an event that could occur at any time.

Alaska's Mount Redoubt volcano spews ash and steam during an eruption in 1989.

1 of 3 "The level of seismic activity" has "increased markedly" in recent days at the 10,197-foot peak located about 100 miles southwest of Anchorage, the state's most populous city, according to the Alaska Volcano Observatory.

"We don't have a crystal ball," said Peter Cervelli, a research geophysicist with the observatory, which is aggressively monitoring the volcano.

But "we expect based on the past behavior of this volcano that this activity is going to culminate in an eruption."

The activity has consisted "of a combination of discrete, relatively small earthquakes and periods of more continuous volcanic tremor," Cervelli said.

Scientists raised the alert status Sunday to a "watch" level, the second-highest, based on seismic activity detected January 23.

Just stay safe and we will help monitor with you.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

So what about the issue of breathing that stuff? Aren't 100 micron or better filters needed, or was that all Supervolcano hoopla?

Doesn't it depend on the type of eruption? And so I take it no one's concerned because Redoubt's eruption doesn't contain anything too nasty.

Redoubt would contain jagged pieces of glass and rock etc. Breathing Ash into your lungs can harden like cement and is bad for the eyes and even skin, hence the need for masks, long sleeved clothing and to stay indoors. It does depend on wind currents and how much is blown out. I think you're right about the type of masks. I read somewhere awhile back that most people buy the wrong masks that aren't always sufficient at filtering. It's bad for infants, the elderly and people with respitory problems.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join