It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska - Mt Redoubt Volcano could erupt within days

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Wow, thanks for that! It is great to hear along with the clips..makes it all come together, kudos and stars.. Nice tremor going on at the moment.. During these eruption phases has anyone looked for or found any patterns of any nature?

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
This link takes you to the Anchorage Daily News page where photo's of this are posted. There are over 90 so far.

Link to the photo's.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by akjen

Volcanoes (especially Redoubt) can be very unpredictable, but generally when seismicity starts to ramp up quickly (in the form of volcanic tremor or discrete earthquakes) another eruption may likely occur in the following hours.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
What about yellowstone. Ive heard of possible bulging at surface and it went to orange last year. That would be a catastrophy that would destroy this country

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthSeeker42

If Yellowstone erupts, it wouldn't only destroy this country, it could cause an E.L.E all over the world.

2nd line

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Well, I guess you learn something new everyday; I was looking for something more specific and out of the basic and common realm of understanding.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthSeeker42

The alert level for Yellowstone caldera never went past green during the earthquake swarms of 2008/2009, which in general, have not shown any volcanic seismicity related with magma movement. An orange aviation color code means that an eruption is very likely, possibly imminent.

Anyway, there's already a 400+ pages thread for Yellowstone topics in this section...

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by violet

Actually, you have a really good memory, I did that topic awhile ago.

*eyes you* do you have a photographic memory?

... would love to admit to my superpowers
... but, really I thought perhaps you'd done a prediction thread, searched your threads and found that one

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Another eruption occurred:

2009-03-27 00:00:37 - VAN/VONA
An eruption of Redoubt volcano occurred at approximately 23:48 AKDT (7:48 UTC). National Weather Service reports the cloud height to be at least 32,000 ft above sea level.

For ash fall advisories, refer to the National Weather Service Redoubt Coordination web page pafc.arh.noaa.gov...

AVO is monitoring the situation closely, the observatory is staffed 24/7.
Complete report text

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
And another one:

2009-03-27 08:51:49 - VAN/VONA
An eruption of Redoubt volcano occurred at approximately 08:40 AKDT (16:40 UTC). National Weather Service reports the cloud height to be approximately 50,000 ft above sea level based on radar.

For ash fall advisories, refer to the National Weather Service Redoubt Coordination web page pafc.arh.noaa.gov...

AVO is monitoring the situation closely, the observatory is staffed 24/7.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Weekly update from AVO

ALASKA VOLCANO OBSERVATORY WEEKLY UPDATE
Friday, March 27, 2009 3:43 PM AKDT (Friday, March 27, 2009 23:43 UTC)

REDOUBT VOLCANO (CAVW #1103-03-)
60°29'7" N 152°44'38" W, Summit Elevation 10197 ft (3108 m)
Current Aviation Color Code: RED
Current Volcano Alert Level: WARNING

The 2009 eruption of Redoubt Volcano, which began on March 22 at 22:38 AKDT (6:38 UTC March 23), continues. The eruption has been characterized by powerful ash explosions, with the resulting plumes reaching between 30,000 to 60,000 feet above sea level. In all, the Alaska Volcano Observatory (AVO) has observed 11 major explosive events over the last week. The larger explosions have been associated with lahars in the Drift River Valley and trace to minor ash fall in and around the volcano and in areas across south-central Alaska.

There have been no explosions of Redoubt Volcano since this morning March 27 at approximately 08:40 AKDT (16:40 UTC) and seismicity has declined at the volcano. The National Weather Service continues to track the ash cloud from the latest explosion, which is tracking toward the north-northwest. For ash fall advisories, refer to the National Weather Service Redoubt Coordination web page pafc.arh.noaa.gov...

AVO is monitoring the situation closely and the observatory is staffed 24/7.

Based on its past activity, the current Redoubt eruption is expected to continue for weeks to months. During this time, a cycle of relatively quiet periods of lava dome growth followed by explosive episodes of dome destruction could take place. Future explosions pose an ongoing threat of lahars in the Drift River Valley, trace to minor ash fall throughout south-central Alaska, and ash-related impacts to aviation.

Heavily ice-mantled Redoubt volcano is located on the western side of Cook Inlet, 170 km (106 mi) southwest of Anchorage and 82 km (51 mi) west of Kenai, within Lake Clark National Park. Redoubt is a stratovolcano which rises to 10,197 feet above sea level. Recent eruptions occurred in 1902, 1966-68, and 1989-90. The 1989-90 eruption produced mudflows, or lahars, that traveled down the Drift River and partially flooded the Drift River Oil Terminal facility. The ash plumes produced by the 1989-90 eruption affected international air traffic and resulted in minor or trace amounts of ash in the city of Anchorage and other nearby communities.

[edit on 2009/3/27 by Shirakawa]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Here is a nighttime photo from the Alaska Daily News.
Enjoy!

www.adn.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Check out CI Webcam Image: Exposure 730 16:21:24, 28th March 2009.. I'm sure it's a glare but there is an interesting light in the upper left... Hmmm???

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by akjen

I think it's just a lens flare .. glare.
2nd line ... whatever they call that

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Shystargazer

Beautiful!
There's 117 photos to look through in the gallery on the site

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Ah Blaine and you thought you could escape the ash wonders of Redoubt.. Hehehe here comes the economic damage - I heard today 125 flight canceled so far.. Makes you wonder WHY they have not moved that 4 MIL gallons of oil out of the Drift eh.. Idiots!! I swear if Cook Inlet gets an oil infusion from those folks I'm going to be really mad, our fisherman have suffered enough because of the Jack A$%#@.. Not to mention our beautiful Belugas..

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
We got some ash in Anchorage (southside) I think it stopped though

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9ae773c02d12.jpg[/atsimg]

that's a picture of my mom's car. That was an hour after it erupted at I think 5pm.

[edit on 28-3-2009 by sandman441]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by sandman441

Do you wear masks when you start getting this kind of ash in the area?

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo
reply to post by sandman441

Do you wear masks when you start getting this kind of ash in the area?

Your supposed to.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
What I find interesting is the lack of material.. It could make one wonder if we have even seen the start of lady redoubt's labor.. The material in the ash clouds are nothing compared to Spurs 92 eruption. With the intensity of the energy you would figure the amount of material would be significantly more.. Any hypothosis? All I know is when she really goes boom any Pyroclastic flows hitting the Drift will be devestating w/ this kind of energy.. Shoot 1989 we saw eruption phases w/ half the energy and never reaching 50K and def not 60K feet.. Keeps you thinking..

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join