It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska - Mt Redoubt Volcano could erupt within days

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by freemindmine

MP3 of the last big sustained tremor at 20x speed recorded from RDN and REF seismic stations (mixed to a single stereo sound):

Download Link
(click "redoubtbigtremor.mp3")

Credits to PuterMan and his QuakeData program for making audio conversion of seismic data possible.

[edit on 2009/2/5 by Shirakawa]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Thanks for that, great to hear it ,sounds so powerfull.
I only know what I have been reading in both Volcano threads. I m right in thinking she's going to blow very soon or does no one really know?

Why on the Webicorders are some blue and others dark blue? Is the different Stations ?

[edit on 5/2/09 by freemindmine]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by freemindmine

An eruption is very likely to occur by the next days or weeks, but as others said in previous posts all could also result in a failed eruption. Nobody can really be 100% sure of what will happen, not even volcanologists.

The different shades of blue in webicorders are just for aesthetic reasons to better distinguish traces from each other.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
A bit more info from local news:

The shaking, which began at 11:18 a.m., was "the most energetic" seismic activity at Redoubt in a week, observatory geologists said.

Three minutes into the episode, one of the seismometers positioned near Redoubt recorded an earthquake that lasted more than a minute.

Anchorage Daily News

Feature story on Alasaka's volcanoes and Redoubt

ADN

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by freemindmine
Why on the Webicorders are some blue and others dark blue? Is the different Stations ?
[edit on 5/2/09 by freemindmine]

Finally, something I do know the answer to! The different colors of blue are merely to diffrentiate one line's entry from the other.

You can view a few of the other webicorder stations by clicking on their respective links.

edit +"e"

[edit on 5-2-2009 by Trexter Ziam]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I know that there is a possibility that major earthquakes can trigger volcanic eruptions but what about the other way around? Eqs seeming to be picking up round here the past couple hours...

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Earthquakes occurred in the Redoubt Volcano area since January 24, data from the AVO realtime earthquake kml Google Earthlayer:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Redoubt is acting up again.

A burst of volcanic tremor occurred just after 3:00 PM this afternoon lasting for about 30 minutes and is continuing at a sustained but lower level. This did not result in any eruptive activity and no ash emission has occurred.

AVO is monitoring and evaluating the situation closely.

Redoubt is still at aviation color code ORANGE and volcano alert level WATCH

I've got my bag with goggles, masks and air filters in my car and I'm ready

Rock On Redoubt

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
From the local Paper -

Seismic tremors and rattling earthquakes shook Mount Redoubt for about 20 minutes this afternoon but haven't yet produced an eruption, according to the Alaska Volcano Observatory.

Commencing at 3:07 p.m., the shaking was both stronger and longer than a four-minute-long episode that hit this morning -- which geologists had called "the most energetic" seismic activity at Redoubt in a week.

"There was probably a lot of gas venting" during the second episode, said observatory geologist Chris Waythomas.

While Web cameras and satellite images were obscured by clouds throughout the day, radar and pilot observations confirmed that no eruption had occurred, he said.

Source - Anchorage Daily News

Darn thing is teasing us I guess.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

HeHeHe yea, I hear ya - bring it on and do it already!! I'm tired of stockin up on 3 days of food every 3 days (cause I like the fresh veggies)..I would like a daylight eruption though..

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Boo...Mt Redoubt has Reflux...got me all worked up yesterday thought it was going to go Ballistic and now...Zzzz...back to a rumblin' tummy...

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

in further response to your previous question, there is another factor to consider:
The current weather conditions .. Barometric pressure, Temperature & Wind conditions .. the steam could still be there, but just not visible at that time .. see Mt. Baker in Washington state for a similar condition ...

vulcan.wr.usgs.gov...
www.mbvo.wwu.edu...

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Tremor activity seems to have increased in strenght.
The bottom chart on this page shows that in the past hours activity has had a slowly increasing trend too.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

yeah, that's a great display that AVO has put out ...

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by akjen

Daylight, on the weekend so it does not interfere with work would be nice

...and the wait continues.

Reminds me of waiting for my Wife to birth my Daughter. Lots of false alarms, lots of waiting and then it happens without warning at the worst possible time.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Seems to be continuing that pattern.

Could be building towards the real thing. What we get here locally is that they are still saying it will most likely erupt.

If the skies were clear, I'd be down near Kenai where I could get photo's. If it happened on the weekend that is, but it looks like it will be too cloudy.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
AVO Weekly Update

REDOUBT VOLCANO (CAVW #1103-03-)
60°29'7" N 152°44'38" W, Summit Elevation 10197 ft (3108 m)
Current Aviation Color Code: ORANGE
Current Volcano Alert Level: WATCH

Unrest at Redoubt Volcano continues, though no eruption has yet occurred. Seismic activity at the volcano remains above background levels and has waxed and waned over the last week. Yesterday from 11:18 to about 16:00 AKST, there were several periods of more intense seismic tremor. Since then, nearly continuous low-level seismic tremor has been recorded.

Clear web camera images currently show no activity at the volcano. Observers on overflights during the past week reported intermittent steam plumes from the area of the 1989-90 lava dome, continued melting of the upper Drift glacier, and increased water discharge along the lower Drift glacier and into the Drift River. Airborne gas measurements on January 31 and February 2 recorded levels of the magmatic gas CO2 several times greater than the value recorded on November 2, 2008.

Gas and heat flux, combined with ongoing seismic activity, suggest that new magma has been emplaced within the crust below Redoubt and that it is actively degassing. We do not know the exact depths or volume of the magma; nor is it certain that the magma will continue to rise to the surface. On the basis of current activity, however, the most likely scenario is an eruption similar to or smaller than the 1989-90 eruption. It is somewhat less likely that no eruption will occur or that the volcano has an eruption larger than that of 1989-90.

AVO personnel installed two new seismic instruments near Redoubt over the past week, and improved signals coming in from the Redoubt seismic network at AVO's facility in Homer.

Staff continue to monitor the volcano 24 hours a day. We will issue further information as it becomes available.

Heavily ice-mantled Redoubt volcano is located on the western side of Cook Inlet, 170 km (106 mi) southwest of Anchorage and 82 km (51 mi) west of Kenai, within Lake Clark National Park. Redoubt is a stratovolcano which rises to 10,198 feet above sea level. Recent eruptions occurred in 1902, 1966-68, and 1989-90. The 1989-90 eruption produced mudflows, or lahars, that traveled down the Drift River and partially flooded the Drift River Oil Terminal facility. The ash plumes produced by the 1989-90 eruption affected international air traffic and resulted in minor or trace amounts of ash in the city of Anchorage and other nearby communities.

AVO

[edit on 2009/2/6 by Shirakawa]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Ha! yes, great comparism..
It's getting clear round these parts; what a beautiful day and warm to boot. I'd like to get photos of the eruption and the ash cloud if possible, as well, so lets keep our fingers crossed and hope for a lovely show and a SW wind to blow er out to sea..

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Appears the Harmonic Tremor at Redoubt is increasing once again after it's earlier low readings...no Major Quake Activity but it might pick up through the night if it follows the last increase?

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Mp3 of the past 17 hours at RSO station at 480x speed.
You can hear harmonic tremors increasing in strength over time.
To me they resemble the plumbing noise of flowing water filling a sink, heard from another room.

Download link
(click harmonictremorredoubt02.mp3)

Credits to PuterMan and his QuakeData program I used to convert into audio seismic data.

[edit on 2009/2/6 by Shirakawa]

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join