It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Disturbing Film

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Good selection of films guys and gals.

How about The Dark Crystal? When watching that as a child, it no doubt gave me the creeps.

As for other films mentioned: 8MM wasn't the best film to come out about the whole Snuff business but it was a good attempt.

Cannibal Holocaust is pure legendary and at the top of my favorite films list. It's class, brutal and honest. Ruggero Deodato (the director) was trying to show us how far the media can go to exploit and he pretty much succeeded.

And for the animal violence depicted: Deodato REGRETS all the scenes involving the death of the animals, one time he even mentioned he regretted making the film.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Night of the Living Dead III. Way disturbing and just over the top needlessly gory. It bothered me for quite a while especially the fact the zombies maintained their personality and awareness. I hated that movie. I won't even look at screen shots.

Watership down

I had completely forgotten about that movie- very odd for a children's story. I remember the part where the little rabbits are buried alive in their hole during a flashback scene. Seeing that as a little girl really upset me.

Return* of the Living Dead III

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Most disturbing for me was an Al Quaeda documentary video from some Arab web site a few years back where they showed clips of actual executions.

I remember a blindfolded man, not Berg, on the ground with a big knife to his neck. Suddenly they ram the knife through his neck as he gurgles his last breath.
Then they continue to ..., never mind.

Still haven't forgotten it.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Dark Crystal was pretty messed up...especially considering it's target audience...Jim Henson lightned up a bit on Labyrinth though (had a similar feel)....

As far as a mainstream, theatrical movie though, my money's still on the Cell as being the most disturbing...

The Ruins was pretty messed up too (the idea, mostly), but the book is REALLY messed up if you're looking for something really disturbing...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Dark Crystal was pretty messed up...especially considering it's target audience...Jim Henson lightned up a bit on Labyrinth though (had a similar feel)....

As far as a mainstream, theatrical movie though, my money's still on the Cell as being the most disturbing...

The Ruins was pretty messed up too (the idea, mostly), but the book is REALLY messed up if you're looking for something really disturbing...

Speaking of messed up ideas and books,

if anyone ever gets a chance: Read 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade. There's a film titled Salo based off the book but takes place during WW2 in Mussolini's Italy. A truly powerful film experience...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

That is pretty much the only "sick/disturbing" film i have not and will not watch.
I have no interest in seeing the things I've heard happen in that film.

And i have literally seen the sickest and most disturbing films out there...
That is where i draw the line though

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Do you guys think these disturbing films are their own genre? Or do you lump them up with horror? I don't think of Cannibal Holocaust (which I loved) the same way I think of Halloween or Suspiria. Two different types of movies.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

Yeah i agree... i think they are separate, there are not many people i would recommend Irreversible or visitor q to

The again, Visitor Q may be seriously messed up, but it has very funny moments too...like ichi the killer too... I find a lot of the tartan asia films and many japanese/korean films have a kind of black comedy running through them.

Where as Men behind the sun,irreversible,Audition,ebola sydrome et al... are just horrific.. no humour, just wrong.

[edit on 2/2/09 by blupblup]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Oh, so y'all are talking about Hollywood films?
Sorry, my bad, I thought it was about the most disturbing piece of footage our eyes ever laid eyes on.

So I guess Al Qaeda footage doesn't count.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Oh, so y'all are talking about Hollywood films?
Sorry, my bad, I thought it was about the most disturbing piece of footage our eyes ever laid eyes on.

So I guess Al Qaeda footage doesn't count.

Counts in my book partner. Since this is a conspiracy website, what if Al Qaeda was created by Hollywood.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Surely you can't be serious but I'll throw you a bone anyway.
Hollywood may have the upper hand in a way.
Think about it.
We watch films that are sensationalized to the the point where sound effects are taken for granted.
You watch a shootout on film and you feel it and see the action.
I bet if you experienced the same type shootout in real life you'll probably be dissapointed because the sound effects are not even there.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

Surely you can't be serious but I'll throw you a bone anyway.
Hollywood may have the upper hand in a way.
Think about it.
We watch films that are sensationalized to the the point where sound effects are taken for granted.
You watch a shootout on film and you feel it and see the action.
I bet if you experienced the same type shootout in real life you'll probably be dissapointed because the sound effects are not even there.

Well of course, Hollywood makes violence look so innocent, it's sickening.
:shk:

And no I wasn't serious lol

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Movies that present overt violence and gore for the sake of creating a spectacle are generally more likely to anger or offend than really disturb me. On the opposing side, here are a few movies that have truly gotten under my skin:

Gaslight: A man keeps his wife essentially captive in her own home, systematically manipulating her so that she begins to lose faith in her own sanity (this is where the term "gaslighting" originated).
Paradise Lost and the related documentaries: Documentaries chronicling the West Memphis 3 incident and the trials that followed. In one portion of the documentary, the camera follows the father of one of the victims as he surveys the scene of his son's gruesome murder. It is made all the more eerie by the viewer's established perception that he (the father) may have been the murderer himself. His demeanor is chilling.
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?: An insane woman whose childhood fame is long gone keeps her disabled sister hostage. This scene is toward the end of the film, when murder seems impending. The victim realizes her last hope of rescue is gone, and the look of despair (and eventually defeat) on her face is truly disturbing.

Ingmar Bergman's faith trilogy, particularly The Silence: Each of the three films is eerie in its own right, but this one is on a different level. The most memorable portion for me is the primary character's slow process of a natural death. Her doctor is watching over her, and his look of bewilderment and concern is almost as unsettling as her death is. And that noise is worst of all.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

I found the book online, and read for a bit. Pretty messed up stuff.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I love messing with my own head.

I remember seeing "The Exorcist" and "The Exorcist 2- The Heretic" (Richard Burton) in a Double-Bill.

I was the only one in a huge, dark cinema on a quiet weekday, I'd bunked off school.......I was 14

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Hmm.

Mullholland Drive. (The bum behind the diner! Urhhghghg!)
Pi. (Never EVER watching it on a comedown.)
Audition. (Watch it. Alone. In the dark. Loud.
)

Quality films

Edit: Oh and of course there's 'Salo'. How could I forget.

[edit on 8/2/2009 by comawhite015]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The movie that I found to be the most disturbing is "Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?" I originally saw this movie as a child and have not been able to watch it since. It was years before I was comfortable being left alone with my sister after watching it. I'm sure if I saw it today, I would not find it nearly as disturbing, but I still cannot bring myself to watch it again.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The Shinning

Great cast, great director. Scary scary scary

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
The Shinning

Great cast, great director. Scary scary scary

One of Kubrick films I really can't get into, the other is 2001. Lol.

A Clockwork Orange, Lolita and Strangelove are my favorites I'd have to say.

Anyone looking for a good time, should def. check out Lolita...

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
The most disturbing movie I have ever watched was Pathology. Not that it was that scary but the fact that there are probably actualy real weirdoos out there doing crazy sh*t like that. It was just creepy as hell, someone had to think of that for there to have been a movie made. This is not nice to say but it is people that would do something that sinister that needs to be eliminated from society IMO...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join