It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Not So Sure 'Doomsday Machine' Won't Destroy World

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
thats what I think. If it all ends, it will happen so quick nobody will notice. But I do find it humorous that the folks that were calling people stupid for questioning the scientists are so very quiet now.

"We conclude that ... the growth of black holes to catastrophic size does not seem possible. Nonetheless, it remains true that the expected decay times are much longer (and possibly >> 1 second) than is typically predicted by other models,"

They're still stupid.
They're just watching fox now.
Which is stupidity in itself.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
But I do find it humorous that the folks that were calling people stupid for questioning the scientists are so very quiet now.

Most of them are offline now. Wouldn't you agree that scientists should look into these things at least a little more before they go and create things where they really are not sure at all as to what the consequences could be, but they just have a pretty good idea?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Umm, can I ask something?

What in the hell gives any scientist the right to play with the very existence of earth, and some 6 billion lives? If there is any doubt WHATSOEVER that the earth can be destroyed due to this, there is no way, NO WAY this should ever be allowed to happen. PERIOD. It's like wtf.

And there clearly is doubt. If they insist on proceeding with the big test, they ought to be drawn and quartered if need be to STOP this insanity. Some things YOU JUST DON'T PLAY WITH, no matter how bad their stinking curiosity is.

[edit on Tue Jan 27th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

Im with you on this. If there is any chance of wiping out the earth then we should not be pissing with it. Like it said at the end of the article....

If the worst comes to pass, and there's now a slightly greater chance that it might, at least it might explain why we've never heard from extraterrestrial civilizations: Maybe they built Large Hadron Colliders of their own.

This to me wreaks of truth.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
This is just fear mongering by the media to cast doubt on something that might push into a new era of technology or scientific study.

All predictions are science. After all science is only our best guess at the time, so why are we all up in arms over just another 6th grade science project.

And i agree with the above post..this came from Fixed News, who will run ANY story that makes them look like they question everything and have an objective reporting staff.

It's all BS, let the scientists play with they're toys and if something happens, it happens. We play God all the time, in Medicine, The Military and a whole whack of other fields that are far more dangerous and real than "what if" scenarios such as creating micro black holes.

They don't even fully understand black holes, therefore they're prediction of one even being created could be seen as just that, a prediction.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Tell me how they know that nothing bad will happen? Tell me how they know how long it takes for these things to reach dangerous levels? Because they've done it before? Just because something seems unlikely, doesn't mean it won't happen.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness
reply to post by johnsky

Tell me how they know that nothing bad will happen? Tell me how they know how long it takes for these things to reach dangerous levels? Because they've done it before? Just because something seems unlikely, doesn't mean it won't happen.

Quite simply.

It would take an equal amount of anti-matter to destroy all the matter of earth.
Which would in turn require an equivalent amount of energy.

Not with all the energy at our current disposal could we do this. It's ludicrous to think we could do such a thing.

The number one rule of energy still applies. You can't get more out than you put in.

Given that the same amount of matter is created as antimatter in such a divide depicts that it would consume itself easier than it would consume its surroundings.

Given that the amount of energy used to create this divide is nothing more than what one would expect from a single power plant, the resulting output will be nothing more than that.

Somehow the media outlets have gotten everyone believing the laws of conservation of energy don't apply.
They always apply.
The scientists know this, the engineers know this,
... but the laymen seem to think they know otherwise... because of what a few tabloids have said.

Simply put, we would need to create our own sun with greater than the accumulated energy of earth, harness ALL of it, and then use that to create a real big bang in order to get enough antimatter to nullify earths matter.

But this isn't a big bang they're creating, it's just a collision.

It's simply not going to happen.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
First of all, it's fox news. Enough said.

Second, when the LHC smashes particles together, the collision won't even produce enough energy to light up a light bulb. Mother nature has far more powerful particle colliders than we could ever hope to harness on Earth.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Particles regularly collide with our atmosphere with far greater force than the LHC will be capable of creating.

The only new thing the LHC does is allow it to happen in a controlled environment that can be monitored. It's been said that the achievement of the LHC will be allowing us to accelerate matter to speeds never attained before; this is untrue. The achievement will basically be gaining the ability to take pretty pictures of something that happens all the time anyways.

If you want to live in fear of the LHC, go right ahead. But everything you are afraid of the LHC doing could happen at any moment anyways, from some random space-faring atom slamming into our atmosphere and somehow creating a life-ending black hole.

Think of the force with which matter is ejected from the sun. The SUN. And yet no black holes, extra dimensions, or huge balls of antimatter have appeared as a result.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Enough already, the freaking machine WON'T destroy the world. God damn, its like some people WANT the world the be destroyed. They want to see destruction and death. It's ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MasterRegal
Enough already, the freaking machine WON'T destroy the world. God damn, its like some people WANT the world the be destroyed. They want to see destruction and death. It's ridiculous.

Most people won't admit it, but they're addicted to chaos. George Carlin admitted to it on stage. Don't know if he was serious, but most of comedic material seems to be his real opinion on things.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Thankyou, finally the sane people are chiming in.

Yes, I forgot to mention that myself... that particles collide in nature... I suppose my first reaction to a question is always to explain the technical how's... rather than to point out examples.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer

My personal thinking on the matter is that these reactions happen in space all the time or in stars but we dont see blackholes everywhere we look (just in the middle of galaxys).

One can never see black holes. One can only see things being consumed by black holes. in open space (rightly called) there are large regions of mostly ... well... space. If there is nothing brightly lit that a black hole is consuming, you will never see it. Black holes will not even allow light to escape.

I am at a loss to see how one would expect to see a lot a black holes just sitting out in space. That is like looking fat a black bowling ball in a bowling alley without windows where everything was painted black without a light of any sort. I just don't see it.

Neither will you.

Scientists will ALWAYS "flip the switch" because they embrace their hubris.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Absolutely! I fully agree. These weenies basically now say .. 'oops .. our math was off ... good thing the world did not blow up when we said everything was okay and when we laughed at all the little people who were worried'.

grrrrr

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
TURN IT ON AND LETS FIND OUT! Its the only true way to know for sure.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness
Hopefully not long enough to destroy the earth or cause some kind of havoc. Scientists are really smart, but sometimes I wonder if they lack common sense.

Thoughts? Comments?

Anyone who's played an RPG knows there's a big difference between intelligence and wisdom

Yeah, even when it was an almost nonexistant chance of destroying the planet I thought it was too much of a chance. So now this, will it stop them? No, they're too curious.

Makes ya wonder what's wrong with the world, when men building machines which could destroy the earth gets publicity and offers public tours.

The sort of guys who make these things get hunted down by James Bond in the movies, what's going wrong with our perception of scientists?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
They CAN"T produce black holes, it's never been done, and can't be done simply because they don't even fully understand how they form or how they behave.

Second, the HLC is not producing the effects of the BIG BANG at any sort of large scale, but at the molecular level, creating VERY TINY big bangs one after the other.

There is NOTHING that indicates any sort of dangerous earth ending disaster coming out of this, other than the HLC blowing up killing a few dozen scientists.

As a previous poster said, mother nature has MANY HLC's, that are BIGGER and produce much more energy than these lab rats can.

Stop worrying about it.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Double Eights

Originally posted by jtma508
Yea, but they were saying the same thing during the Manhattan Project. Some scientists believed it was possible that the fission reaction they were about to trigger would create a black hole that could destroy the earth.

That's a bad argument.

You're essentially saying, that yes, the world didn't end during the Manhattan Project...however, what you're failing to realize is that we created the means to end the world with the Manhattan Project.

This particle collider might not end the world, but what if it creates the means to end the world?

Star for you!
Post.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I refer to this flash film here: Click Me
Just click the Watch this movie button.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Well, that would just ruin everyone's day. '
'

I mean what would it be like. Black hole grows out of control.

It consumes Europe. Burps and then starts with the rest of the world.

How long would it take?

Would we see it on the morning news and know that we were in deep doo doo?

Or would it happen too fast for anyone to give the alarm?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Just reactionaries putting out scary stories who are afraid of science and progress. God forbid we discover some mystery that is supposed to be known only to God.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join