It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Not So Sure 'Doomsday Machine' Won't Destroy World

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Aermacchi

I am not angry at all, frustrated yes at the knee jerk reaction of the public about so many things but not angry. As for me saying most people aren't savvy about science as you put it, well they aren't. Go and look at any poll about science, randomly asking people questions and you will see what i mean.

It isn't intellectual snobbery or a high opinion of myself it's just how it is according to polls about general scientific knowledge of the public at large and personal experience of this ignorance. If you don't like it then fine but please stop trying to represent me as thinking i am high and mighty or something of that nature. I don't think of myself that way and also remember that the internet doesn't contain tone of voice, so that can confuse someones intent very easily. Again, please stop attacking the messenger, it's not much to ask.

Also take a deep breath and calm down.

Peace mate, peace.

EDIT

If you or anyone else took my posts as condescending then sorry about that but they weren't meant in that way. You're just seeing a heavy dose of frustration. All the best.

[edit on 30-1-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

It seems you did not read my previous post so pay attention Instein, got more than correct sppelling.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by QueenofWeird
How much mass is needed to create a singularity with a very small surface? When two particles hit eachother in the collider I assume they will just break up to show their secret ingredients. So how could a tiny object with a monster mass arise?

They won't create singularity, they won't create Black Hole.

When they smash these together all will happen is the disruption of a natural order, all of the chaos will be it trying to restore natural order.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
You need to go further.
The LHC is a fulish experiment the results of which will bring more confusion to already confused relative phisics.
Why nothing will happens.
In fundamental phisicts exist forgoten equation, that do not surve the so called (modern science)
Mater is the ration between the energy of the field to the energy of the objets - plain na simple. The energy of the LHC even big for human brain is so small, the will be absorbed immediately after the artificial EMF is switch off.
In order black hole to expend, need one item that did not exist on Earth and in LHC - the zero gravity.
So. Do not worry. We only will pay the bill for the power that will be wasted by these lunatics.

DA

reply to post by carlitomoore

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by MasterRegal
Enough already, the freaking machine WON'T destroy the world. God damn, its like some people WANT the world the be destroyed. They want to see destruction and death. It's ridiculous.

Agreed, maybe all that is fear of dieing alone or accept the fact that the Earth will still be here while we are long gone. Humans seem to have a real problem with the concept of dieing and leaving all of our materialistic reality behind, thus the need to hope (expect) the end of "everything".

I say let it roll, the only objection I have but can't really do nothing about it since it's pretty inevitable is that if they find anything new it will probably be applied to weapons and other means to cause destruction to life.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by carlitomoore
The LHC is only the newest collider on the market, there are dozens in operation right now around the globe the only difference being that the LHC will eventually (hopefully) reach higher energy collisions.

These reactions do take place all the time and a black hole will not tear the universe in two. There are several purposes to the experiment, the biggest hope being that the Higgs Boson or 'GOD' particle is found.

This particle is predicted to give all matter its mass, but has never been witnessed. It will further enhance our understanding of physics and hopefully lead to bigger and better things.

What bigger better things?! We have already better things that public know of and still we cant use them because they would be too good for some people. And do you really believe that they would stop at that point? They have allready plans for a collider that goes all around the world -equator-!

Well i guess we deserve whats comming.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by gusan
They have allready plans for a collider that goes all around the world -equator-!

I would really like to know where you heard that piece of info. The money that it would cost to build that would be an insane amount.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by wisefoolishness

I remember way back at lecture that the scientists that we giving the presentation said once you have a black hole you’ve got a black hole. Once it obtains mass you cannot get the mass out again. It was a long time ago I just hope that that has change by now – or does that mean you have to change the universes laws. Not looking god in my mind.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I think what gets me is that they are saying this is how the universe was created. It was created with 2 of these tiny particles coming together and making the big bang theory happen. Well if that is what happened then, How do we know we wont be causing another big bang theory? One that we wont ever get to see the results of? Like I told hubby, if this is what created the universe then why are we recreating it now?? And if its that big a bang then can we contain the big bang theory inside of a testube basicly?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by pmbhuntress
I think what gets me is that they are saying this is how the universe was created. It was created with 2 of these tiny particles coming together and making the big bang theory happen. Well if that is what happened then, How do we know we wont be causing another big bang theory? One that we wont ever get to see the results of? Like I told hubby, if this is what created the universe then why are we recreating it now?? And if its that big a bang then can we contain the big bang theory inside of a testube basicly?

It's not they are saying this is how universe was created, but once they collide these particles,they will have a chance to see what the building blocks are, what was present right at moment of big bang.

At the start of bang there were no atoms, hydrogen was first to show up, but they want to go back and see what was going on to form all of the things that made matter.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
the created black holes are microscopic and don't even last a fraction of a millisecond. It's just the thought of a BLACK hole being created at all that has the hysteria worked up

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

It's not they are saying this is how universe was created, but once they collide these particles,they will have a chance to see what the building blocks are, what was present right at moment of big bang.

At the start of bang there were no atoms, hydrogen was first to show up, but they want to go back and see what was going on to form all of the things that made matter.

Sorry, I still haven't figured out the quote feature so I copied and pasted. This is more of a question really. I am thinking that they want to smash very small matter together and see what they are composed of and to see if new particles emerge when these particles are smashed together. This would give us a better understanding as to what was going on at the moment of the big bang. I think I have that down pat.

If they are using existing matter how do we know that the test material even existed at the moment of the big bang. I mean it goes nothing, big bang, matter comes into existance. We don't know what, if anything, existed before the big bang correct? From what I can gather the big bang is just a theory as well and not fact. I am excited about the possibilities the collider will open in any event. Even if it is a black hole.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
they have already tested the LHC last summer, a watered, small test, not the full power..and nothing happend. Believe me, I crapped my pants when I first heard about this in 2007, but now that the first test was good, I'm having my doubts that they'll destroy the world. Besides, wouldn't you rather die painless and quick instead of being shot or tortured by CIA or martial law police? this filthy world has had enough of our species and our inability to achieve "peace" . I like this project, and I hope they power it up this year, I want them to show the world the first images of the big bang and to prove to religion, and god that god is just a man-made fairytale for people to sleep well at night. Do you really think that god is real? I sure as hell don't because I think we made him up, we are his creators.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by gusan
They have allready plans for a collider that goes all around the world -equator-!

I'm going to have to call you out on this. At least, it couldn't be actual plans, more like a fiction writers premise to a book.

We can't even keep the fiber optic lines in tact over distances between continents, let alone a sealed tunnel that needs to remain incredibly aligned and never shift.

The constant and slight movement of the tectonic plates would make this impossible, and any scientist thinking of the concept would drop the notion well before they bothered to begin drafting any plans.

On top of the tectonic plates movement, you would have sea bed erosion, currents, pressure changes... just a huge list of ridiculous barriers that would axe the project immediately.

All accelerators so far have been built in their locations because of the stability and reliability of the land they occupy.

Not to mention, we've already gotten particles as close to the speed of light as we're feasibly going to get them (to the point of mass increase). What point would there be in sending them around the entire earth?

Either your source was lying to you, or you made this up.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap
reply to post by googolplex

If they are using existing matter how do we know that the test material even existed at the moment of the big bang. I mean it goes nothing, big bang, matter comes into existance. We don't know what, if anything, existed before the big bang correct? From what I can gather the big bang is just a theory as well and not fact. I am excited about the possibilities the collider will open in any event. Even if it is a black hole.

The theory is that the matter that exist now was present at the begning of bang, the parts that made up the parts made. But there is a order to these things from which they came unknown, only Creator knows.

But in answer to question of before, was sigularity from our perspective is something that aways was and aways will be.
Big Bang is theory but appears so, as appears are mutiple bangs, infinitismal bangs.
What some don't relize is that before bang time did not exist, in reallity the singularity is still where it always was unmoved.
Everthing that could happen has already happened, this is all the paradox of existance.
But like that song, don't worry be Happy.
No universe eating balck hole in this bang, have to wait about 23 trillion years.
This is interesting in the micro and macro cosmic.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by googolplex]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

Hawking, one of the worlds leading minds on Black Holes, has changed his mind once. That is that he originally said nothing could escpae black holes, but now believes that small amounts of "information" (ie energy) can escape over time.

That is detailed in the exerpt you quoted (without a link I might add) and is in total agreement with googolplex, whom you seemed to be trying to discredit.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nick_X
I read somewhere that it would take about 3-4 years for one of these microscopic black holes to grow large enough to consume the earth. 2012 anyone??? hmmmmmmm

If, if, IF there was one created, of which there is the tiniest chance, then it would most likely evaporate after 1 second.

If, if, IF it lasted long enough to consume matter and not evaporate in the process, then it would take billions of years, not 3-4 years, to consume the earth.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoothyKnight
the created black holes are microscopic and don't even last a fraction of a millisecond. It's just the thought of a BLACK hole being created at all that has the hysteria worked up

When man first split the atom he couldn’t resist but go further. When they make the first black hole it won’t be enough. They will want a bigger one then one day it will accidently gain mass.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Scientists are really smart, but sometimes I wonder if they lack common sense.

Thoughts? Comments?

You said it perfectly, actually.... seems to be a lacking not isolated to only the scientists either.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join