It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Thanks, Tobacco: You Killed My Mom"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TasteTheMagick
reply to post by ChrisF231

If the government instituted an all out ban, you'd have the same problems we had with prohibition. You're making something illegal that needs not be and making criminals out of behavior that's not a problem.

Prohibition failed because people will always enjoy drinking whether they are alcoholics or not.
Smoking is another kettle of fish. You don't get high or drunk from smoking.
You are just addicted to it.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
reply to post by LLoyd45

My rights end where your cigarette ends? So you use smokeless tobacco? Idiotic laws? Come one - laws are passed because the majority of people agree with them.
No, I smoke full flavor, real tobacco.

All a majority really constitutes is Mob rule. If the majority of people said executing people without a trial was acceptable, I guess you'd go along with that too?

As the song by the Police so eloquently says: "Don't stand so close to me".

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Well I can't go to the pub or most public places because many people will be wearing perume or cologne and I am guaranteed to get a migraine. Where do you draw the line? If the world was a smarter place you would have both smoking and non-smoking bars and restraunts. Let each consumer make their own choice.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by foremanator

Actually you can get a very lil bit high.If you wont smoke for a few hours (let's say six),with the next cig you'll get a bit dizzy.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by foremanator

People get a nicotine high. A lot of smokers do. It's actually been proven that nicotine from smoking chemically makes people happy. Smoking isn't another "kettle of fish". Banning it wouldn't work.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Well I have carpal tunnel thanks to Playboy magazines. Is that there fault? I smoke too and I know the dangers and it's my fault completely if I die because of it.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by disgustedbyhumanity
Well I can't go to the pub or most public places because many people will be wearing perume or cologne and I am guaranteed to get a migraine. Where do you draw the line? If the world was a smarter place you would have both smoking and non-smoking bars and restraunts. Let each consumer make their own choice.

By the same token as your previous post you are probably weak and have some serious medical condition and that's why you can't deal with the smell of perfume. When I read this post after your previous one I was rolling on the floor with laughter. Thank God I don't smoke or my lungs would have collapsed!

Just for info : If someone can smell you from more than a foot away you're wearing too much perfume! It's a class thing - perfume isn't meant to chase away stink, just to enhance those intimate moments. Smoking on the other hand people can smell your smoke from about 15 plus foot away.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by Mynaeris]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
An informational note.

In the mid-80s, Consumer Reports did an analysis and determined that nicotine and cigarette smoking was the most addictive drug, bar none.

It stimulates the body's own endorphins and the withdrawal is due to endorphin cessation.

Thus it might be inaccurate to say that people could quit if they had a backbone. It might not be that simple.

Just a thought. I can't really empathize since I've never smoked.

Nicotine

No other substance known to man is used with such remarkable frequency. Even caffeine ranks a poor second.

Here's a fairly complete reprint of the entire work

Table of Contents

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Hey super girl...

when it comes to smoking laws in the bars that serve food...
As long as there is a door that seperates the kitchen from the bar to prevent smoke from getting into the food prep area, then people are allowed to smoke. (this is in Nevada btw).
So you can sit 20 feet away from me waiting for your food, while in the meantime Im smoking away.
you want to talk law, thats the law. "As long as there is a door".

i also keep seeing you tell people that they have no valid arguement.
I think it is you that has no valid arguement. All you care about is your point of view and your side of the arguement, you dont care about smokers rights.

I was on tour, did a few shows in Cali....well I ended up on the boardwalk and I lit up a cigarette. out of nowhere this 30year old fat lady came rushing after me saying "you cant light that up out here"

I smiled, took a big hit off the cigarette and blew it straight in her face for trying to tell me what I could and could not do. I told her to call the smoker police on me.

Needless to say, she didnt. She ran out of her way from 50 feet away to try n tell me to stop doing something that wasnt affecting her one bit as she was so far away. There was nobody around me at the time.

Pretty soon farting in public will be illegal, if that happens, Ima be locked up for a very long time.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I find it incredibly amusing that not only will smokers defend their right to smoke so vehemently, but also completely excuse the tobacco companies from any wrongdoing.

Now those are some very good chemists making those cigarettes. I actually want to go into their R&D Departments and see how they are able to alter someone's psyche so fundamentally that they would defend their addiction, the harmful effects on their own bodies, the harmful effects on the environment and others around them, and even the tobacco companies that actively market to minors in order to maintain a viable profit margin.

Good video. I wish everyone that smokes would take a second and realize that regardless of the reasons I mentioned above, when smoking begins to destroy your body and contribute to a premature, painful death, it won't be just you that suffers. It will be your friends and family that love you that suffer as you will.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
That is a very sad video and I am glad I never chose to smoke.

I noticed alot of you seem to be missing the point though. As they said in the video she wanted to show everybody why they shouldnt smoke, and that is what this video did.

It was not an attempt to blame the tabbaco industry for her death, it was just an attempt to show what can happen if you choose to take up smoking.

It was meant to say, that smoking can cause cancer and misery and pain and suffering for not just the smoker but for the friends and family of the smoker.

The cancer that she got from smoking made her and her family suffer and in the end it killed her. That is the point of this video. The video is not placing blame, it is trying to help others CHOOSE to not smoke.

Smoking kills, so please choose not to smoke.... That is a great message.

That is a GREAT message.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
Hey super girl...

I smiled, took a big hit off the cigarette and blew it straight in her face for trying to tell me what I could and could not do. I told her to call the smoker police on me.

You can call me Mynah, and if you would have tried assaulting me with your smoke you would be sitting on your *ss a few moments later. I ain't no fat *ass and I ain't sleeping beauty so I don't take no truck from you dwarfs.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Avenginggecko

It's amazing how these same defenders of smoking will try to sue the companies when they get throat or lung or mouth cancer. Suddenly the rules have changed. For all you smoking chicks out there - people will know you were a smoker by the time you are 40 you will be the one who looks 50.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
hahaha.
You are funny. Ill give you that.

I would never blow smoke in your face, unless you came rolling up on me like she did with the attitude that she did, telling me what I could and could not do.

::lights up::

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

See what I mean about the double standard. Since I can't tolerate the smell of perfume I have a medical condition and you don't because you claim to get sick from second hand smoke?

No perfume means healthier air

Colognes - Perfumes - Do they cause cancer?

Perfumes Linked To Infertility, Cancer

Edited to add links

[edit on 27-1-2009 by disgustedbyhumanity]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
I think that it's time to make tobacco illegal.

Think how much it would improve the health care crisis here in the US.

Yeah, it'd really help out the legal system too.

This is the most ignorant post I have ever seen on ATS.

Smokers don't quit knowing that it just may kill them. You think when that craving hits that a smoker cares one bit about a fine? I mean, he just had to drive 40 miles to a down town ghetto to score a couple of black market camels from his dealer. At $50 a pop, it's a good thing that couple he held up earlier for smoke money were loaded.

And think of all the dieing children who may be saved when you narc on their parents who had the audacity to expose you to their 17th hand smoke by driving by your house with their window cracked. One call from a good, law abiding citizen, and CPS will rush right out and give them new parents that aren't broken. One or two might even get the same new parents as their brother or sister.

And while we're at it, we need to make perfume and cologne illegal too. I mean, they don't even consider the fact that someone may have a severe allergic reaction to the chemicals they pollute the immediate atmosphere with. Lock 'em up!

Oh, and possession of an internal combustion engine needs to be made a felony immediately. Every single one of us has to breath in carcinogens spewed forth from their tailpipes.

And someone please tell me why inorganic fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides are legal!!! Do you know how many cancer causing compounds leach into the ground water because people can't pull a dandelion with their hands? Anyone with a weed free, green lawn belongs in an 8 x 10 cell!

Wow, I'm really ashamed to have participated in this thread.

Oh, and I am smoking as I type this, so you guys better run to the doc and get checked out. I hear 30th hand smoke is now transferable over the internet. Hmm, maybe the internet should be made illegal to save the non-smokers!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by disgustedbyhumanity

As far as your vacation illness, there are far many more likely reasons for your chest condition than being exposed to second hand smoke.

Do you read your posts or is it just stream of conciousness? You said it first and I responded. By the way it's impossible to get smokers lung without smoking unless it is via second hand smoke.

In fact I was making it clear that YOU were the one with the double standards. Once again let me repeat : If you can smell my perfume from 2 feet away I have too much on. But sure as hell I can smell your cigarett from 15 feet away. And if you walk down the street so can all the people behind you for the next 15 feet. And around you too and the ones directly in front of you. In other words your analogy is inappropriate. Next batter up!

[edit on 27-1-2009 by Mynaeris]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

It's not impossible to get smokers lung/cough/whatever if you're not exposed to second hand smoke. When I was in 5th grade a bunch of students came down with it. None of their parents smoked and most of them weren't around anyone else who smoked.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
That is a very sad video and I am glad I never chose to smoke.
I'm glad for you as well, and I mean that with all sincerity GST. It does damage your health, and if you smoke enough, it will probably kill you one day. I'm also certain most smokers are aware of these consequences too.

I noticed alot of you seem to be missing the point though. As they said in the video she wanted to show everybody why they shouldnt smoke, and that is what this video did.

It was not an attempt to blame the tabbaco industry for her death, it was just an attempt to show what can happen if you choose to take up smoking.

It was meant to say, that smoking can cause cancer and misery and pain and suffering for not just the smoker but for the friends and family of the smoker.
I beg to disagree with you on your assertion. If they truly wanted to promote a non-smoking agenda, they would've left out the parts where she was puffing away on a cigarette despite choking and coughing.

I personally viewed the video as an exploitation of his Mother's illness and subsequent death. Wouldn't it make a great evidenciary exhibit in a lawsuit? I'll bet if you knew the truth, that's exactly what he did.

I found the videotaping of his mother's corpse to be in very bad taste as well. So much for their being dignity in death..

Smoking kills, so please choose not to smoke.... That is a great message.

That is a GREAT message.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by gimme_some_truth]
Smoking kills, but so does overeating, alcohol consumption, caffeine abuse, or simply breathing the air around you which is full of toxins.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Meh, even though i do believe that smoking tobacco is extremely stupid, it's not like they forced her to do so. Yes they marketed it as a fun thing, without any re-procussions, but the science has been there for atleast 10 years now, and there have been extreme breakthroughs in stop smoking aids in recent years.

Tobacco should be illegal, but as long as it's not, it's the individual's responsibility to see it for what it is and quit.

Tobacco didn't kill his mother, her smoking habit did.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join