It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Thanks, Tobacco: You Killed My Mom"

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
sorry to say this but she has no one to bleame but herself.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

Is this like the question of Is it possible to get pregnant from a toilet seat? Answer: It depends on what you are doing on the toilet seat.

I am assuming you have never been to Cairo - Cairo is one of the most heavily poluted cities in the world and everybody seems to smoke - they smoke often and generally Marlboro or Camels. On New Year's eve it was almost impossible to see the front desk from the elevator - it was approximately 100 feet away.

Trust me I got it from the smoking. Or don't! Just stating the facts - I love travelling but Egypt is a no-go zone after that experience.

You just said that Cairo is one of the most heavily polluted cities in the world. Would you say that their pollution is solely caused by cigarette smoke or are their other factors such as cars and factories? I think you know where I'm headed with this. Once again, you see smoking and right away, you automatically associate your getting sick with that instead of taking all the factors into account. Could it be that your getting sick MAY have been caused by the other pollutants in the air?

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I smoke and if I die from that, its my fault. Pretty much all teh smokers here live up to that.

Whats fun though, are all these mamby pamby non smokers that think their rights trump everyone elses. Guess what, you're outside, that smoke you smell is less harmful than the pollution you're breathing in. Your cologne typically makes me gag, but I don't complain, I just avoid you. and guess what, if people are smoking somewhere and you don't like it, tough toenails. Go elsewhere.

Personally, I make it a habit to smoke wherever the hell I legally can, and if someone complains, they get a facefull of un-inhaled smoke until they go away. And then I laugh and light up another one. Don't like it? then don't annoy me. Don't like dealing with a society that allows smoking? thats nice, go hide in your little house, wrap yourself in bubble wrap, drink some hope flavored kool aid and go post on the internet. We all need the laugh.

Yes, when I know there's likely going to be some of the really self righteous ex smokers around, I have my special stash of good tasting but incredibly stinky cigars on hand. Don't like it? does it make you choke? Too bad, toughen up and stop spreading your genetic weaknesses when you breed. You're the ones bringing humanity down. Happy peanut allergy day.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
While I of course agree smoking should be legal - I know from decades of personal experience that smokers of Tobacco, like alcoholics, become twisted, vile, rude shells of a Human Being over time.

(This is probably just- as you continue to return to your Corporate Masters teat time and time again - like some kind of comical modern day Renfield)

Now this can be reversed, and it probably doesn't incorporate all smokers - I knew a perfectly good gent once who smoked and was still an excellent example of human decency - but it does describe the majority of long term smokers.

In the end - your family who sacrificed for you - and your closest friends -suffer the most - while the rest of Humanity pays the Human cost of your disgusting habit.

Anyone of integrity who is addicted to a mind and body destroying substance should attempt to free themselves from such bondage.

When it comes to things like Meth, Heroin, and Nicotine, there really is no thing as reasonable moderation.

However feel free to do the most absurd mental gymnastics to try and justify your pathetic weakness.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Well for certain the guy buys into the propaganda about tobacco. I think more to the point it's the overall health robbing by repression of beneficial foods (www.phoenixtears.ca...) and the promotion of more deliberately addictive poisoned forms of tobacco like cigarettes that are contributors. But the poor little old natural herb known as tobacco is not to blame. It is just the misdirection for a lot of the other poisonings that are really going on.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthMagnet

I think you made a very good point. This thread, if it does nothing else, demonstrates the power of the addiction to tobacco and how that addiction influences not only behavior, but also the thought processes.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

The Anti-smoking crusaders cannot be satisfied. Now that things have gone their way, they don't know what else to do. If they actually did ban smoking, they'd probably go after the drinkers next. The Anti-smoking campaign has actually created a pretty bitter prejudice towards smokers, which is why they freak out if one person in a crowd has the nerve to light up. To these crusaders, if you're a smoker, then you are a bad person no matter who you are. Smokers are depicted as low life weaklings that don't contribute to society, sort of compared to the most extreme drug addicts. Smokers with children are put down the worst, they are considered sub human. There are ignorant and inconsiderate smokers out there, there's no denying that, but there are a lot of very considerate smokers out there. I grew up with a mom that smoked, grandparents that smoked, my dad smoked for a long time but then turned to chewing tobacco. Did that affect me, no, I don't even smoke. I tried when I was 15, but couldn't get into it. Everybody is entitled to their rights and opinions, but there has to be a balance and an acceptance of each other.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
I think that it's time to make tobacco illegal.

Think how much it would improve the health care crisis here in the US.

I think its about time to make breathing illegal. Think how much it would improve the health care crisis here in the US.
Remember they already tried this with booz and that's a lot worse that tobacco.

I'll bet most of the leftist control freaks here that scream about tobacco are the first ones to pick up a bong...

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Cigarettes killed this lady like spoons made Rosie O’Donnell fat. Does anyone believe in personal responsibility anymore, or are we all just victims. Cigarettes are bad for you, and so what. The leading cause of death in America is coronary heart disease. One of the biggest risk factors is poor diet. So should we have a nationwide ban on pie? It honestly would do more for public health then spending any money worrying about cigarette. But obviously we do not want a ban on pie. Why? Because more important then public health is liberty and freedom. People should be free to make their own choices. Adults do not need that state or anyone else telling them how to live their lives or creating a culture that is completely sterile of all possible threats. People can clearly see that pie should not be ban but when we talk about cigarettes people get all loony. It might not be your fault, the media inundated us with information and most people are not able to deviate from group think. But now that you have read this post I encourage you to think about this issue critically and see what you come up with for yourself. If you value freedom I think you would have to agree with me.
Cigarettes have never hurt me. You know why? I do not smoke them. They are completely harmless to me, all they do is sit on the shelf in the store and mind their own business. If I were to decide to put them to my lips and suck on them then that deliberate action of me smoking might cause some harm over time, but that should be my choice.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
WOW...10 pages discussing and debating a poor choice made by this woman and how her son actually has the nerve to blame someone else for her choice.

Gotta love people...I guess when METH or HEROIN kill we shouldn't blame the person who CHOSE to take drugs...we should blame the maker. TAKE SOME PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ONCE...dang!

i keep saying im not gonna say more on this board but then i just keep reading the craziest things

what do you think the drug war is all about?

its everyone blaming the maker and not the addicts

thats why we're sending billions overseas to "fight the good fight"

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Smoking is forced upon you - anyone that says nobody sticks it in your mouth and makes you smoke is blowing smoke out the wrong end!

This is a highly addictive habit to beat ~ there is tobacco and then there is the other 95% of crap that these companies put into the cigg to assist you in a short life.

Cigg ads are all over the place, they work their magic into marketing their drug to everybody!!!

God gave us tobacco but ciggs are not natural they are rotten poisinous synthetic lethal cancer sticks.

YES YOU ARE FORCED TO SMOKE ATLEAST ONCE - JUST PRAY YOU DONT GET HOOKED!

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
reply to post by BlesUTP

And is it my choice and I have to breathe in your smoke when you walk past me? And is it your children's choice that they have to breathe in your smoke because you are maintaining your right to smoke. third hand smoke?

"Parents who smoke often open a window or turn on a fan to clear the air for their children, but experts now have identified a related threat to children’s health that isn’t as easy to get rid of: third-hand smoke.

Is it my choice I gotta breath in all the Carbon monoxide your vehicle is putting into my lungs everyday???

and all the other products that 100% of the population uses that puts poisons into the air that WE ALL have to breath. Aww, shame there wouldn't be enough space to post all the crap.

You got bigger proplems than second hand smoke, and 99% of it you go along with just like the rest of everyone.

Make sure you have a tall glass of water filled with flouride, after getting your shot of mercury this flu-season.

All you non smokers haven't lived.

You haven't lived till you've had a smoke after some really long hot amazing sex. Or perhaps after a really good hot meal on a cold day. Or while sitting on the throne reading the paper in the morning.

[edit on 28-1-2009 by Nola213]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by bugajk25

There is a big difference between being forced and giving into peer pressure. Being forced means you are pinned down and physically being made to smoke the cigarette against your will. Peer pressure is when your friends are, or not even necessarily your friends, are smoking and want you to smoke with them. Peer pressure is a choice, and it's not different when your friends have beer wanting you to drink. I tried smoking a few times but in my own room by myself out of curiosity, not because people wanted me to even though they tried and would get mad if I didn't and I didn't care. I didn't get hooked cause it wasn't my thing and still isn't. Smoking causes cancer and smoking makes anti smokers grumpy, yes we get it by now.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
reply to post by TruthMagnet

I think you made a very good point. This thread, if it does nothing else, demonstrates the power of the addiction to tobacco and how that addiction influences not only behavior, but also the thought processes.

No, what 'influences' the thought process, is when people try and 'school' us on the dangers of smoking. We already know that, we have the medical community beating it through our heads, and frankly, it annoys us when complete strangers try and tell us how to live our lives.

Non-smokers say they have the right to walk down a street and not have smoke blown in their face, well smokers have just as much right to be there as well. The government has already made most, if not all, establishments non-smoking, what more do you want?

Seriously, if I go into a non-smoking facility, I understand that I have no right to complain. Why can't non-smokers have the same courtesy? If they don't like smoke then find another establishment that is smoke free. It's as simple as that.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I think i'm going to have to agree with alot of people on here.
I'm really sorry that had to happen to his/her mother.
But the fact that cigs can cause cancer is known by everyone.
She knew that when she was smoking.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LysCat

The thought processes that I speak of are those that cause a smoker to rationalize his addiction, even in the face of overwhelming statistics and even graphic films of the suffering endured by the victims.

I smoked for more than thirty years and I remember a time when there were virtually no restrictions on smoking at all.

I will tell you this. The world is a better place because of smoking restrictions.

You can't appreciate this because you have to have your fix in order to function and because you can't smell the stench of cigarette smoke because your senses are dulled.

I believe in personal responsiblity and I know that the woman in the video died because of her choice to smoke, but that doesn't negate the fact that it was in fact the tobacco and it's additives that caused her illness that took her life.

You might be one of the lucky ones who never suffers serious health effects because of smoking, but can you tell me that you are made healthier by smoking.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
WAAAHHHH!!!!

I just lit one up in honor of all the whining here.

I'm not going to argue. You all can think what you want.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

I hope you're speaking in a general rather than at me.

I'm not saying the world isn't a better place because of them. I'm not complaining about it, I'm just saying that when I put myself in a situation where I'm in a non-smoking facility, I'm not going to get indignant and complain about it. I just don't understand why non-smokers go to a bar or other establishments that smokers frequent and then complain.

As for my senses being dulled, uh, no they aren't. I smoke, but I smoke outside. My husband doesn't smoke and out of courtesy for him, and now my children, I take it outside. My father and his wife smoke in their house and whenever I get home, I hate the overwhelming cigarette odor.

As for having my 'fix' to be able to function, is compeltely crap. I've quit three times. Each time was because I was pregnant and I was worried about what that smoke would do to the baby. I always picked it back up after several months, why? Because I like to smoke. If or when I decide to quit for good, will have to depend entirely on me.

Good for you that you were able to stop, I applaud you and others out there that were able to kick the habit, all the more power to you. As stated above, the only thing that will make me quit for good, is when I decide I've had enough. No ammount of lectures or in some cases insults, is going to make me change until then.

I suppose that this matter is going to have be something that we agree to disagree on.

I'm off for the night, take care all!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Beneficial effects of smoking:

Parkingsons: www.data-yard.net...
Smoking and arteries: 85.18.251.150...
Gum health:www.data-yard.net...

Here's one you aren't going to believe. Second hand smoke HELPING children: Here's an excerpt before I put down the link: In a multivariate analysis, children of mothers who smoked at least 15 cigarettes a day tended to have lower odds for suffering from allergic rhino-conjunctivitis, allergic asthma, atopic eczema and food allergy, compared to children of mothers who had never smoked The link is www.data-yard.net...

Reduced chance of breast cancer: Cigarettes may actually lower the risk of breast cancer among women with a gene mutation linked to high rates of the disease, a study indicates.

A link that shows TONS of studies that non-smoking is a direct link to Alzheimers: www.forces.org...

Two studies that show beneficial effects in PREGNANT WOMEN (for mother AND child). GASP!!!! No, it's impossible, you say? www.forces.org... www.data-yard.net...

More links at www.forces.org...

All you people need to LOOK AT THE FACTS before you go off half cocked. Is smoking good for you? Not generally. But there are certain health issues that smoking, or being around someone who smokes, will greatly reduce or prevent.

Don't let EITHER side of this issue muddy the waters.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join