It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Thanks, Tobacco: You Killed My Mom"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I found this on YouTube.

It's a tribute of sorts to a man's mother who died of lung cancer caused by cigarettes.

I don't think that I can make a conspiratorial case against the tobacco industry any better than it has already been made by others, especially in this short film.

It's very touching.

[edit on 2009/1/27 by GradyPhilpott]

+29 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
while very touching, i think its safe to assume she killed herself.

nobody put a cigarette in her mouth, and how could you not be aware of the conditions that come along with smoking.

i smoke, maybe a couple a day, but if i were to die it wouldnt be anyones fault but my own.

the tobacco companies put out addictive cigarettes, yes, but nobody is forcing anyone to buy them. its called will power. and when i can gather up mine ill be quitting, or i wont and ill continue. but its my choice, just as it is everyone elses choice.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I'm 23 y.o. I started smoking in my seventeen.All i can tell you is that it was my decision. It's simple as that either ppl wanna see it or not.We do know that it's bad for our health,we know that it's a dump thing that we started it but we still do it.Nobody is forcing us.
So far i've never said "I quit.".If i will,i might post it in BTS just for the heck of it.So,far i haven't said it and i keep on smoking.

I guess this is the part where someone will unwrap the conspiracy (if actually there is one).
You know,if people around the world could see their errors and their mistakes (in politics,way of thinking etc etc etc...) like a smoker does when it's about smoking then the world might have been (i said "might") a better place.

Btw,i haven't watched the video since videos against smoking kinda piss me off.If i missed something that i shouldn't for the sake of the subject,i'm sorry.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by BlesUTP

And is it my choice and I have to breathe in your smoke when you walk past me? And is it your children's choice that they have to breathe in your smoke because you are maintaining your right to smoke. It always amuses me that smokers feel that they have the right to make me inhale their smoke. Yes, yes I know I shouldn't be around you because it's your right. Nope I have every right to be there - what about my not smoking is affecting your health?

Moving on from the effects of first and second hand smoke let's talk about third hand smoke?

"Parents who smoke often open a window or turn on a fan to clear the air for their children, but experts now have identified a related threat to children’s health that isn’t as easy to get rid of: third-hand smoke.

That’s the term being used to describe the invisible yet toxic brew of gases and particles clinging to smokers’ hair and clothing, not to mention cushions and carpeting, that lingers long after second-hand smoke has cleared from a room. The residue includes heavy metals, carcinogens and even radioactive materials that young children can get on their hands and ingest, especially if they’re crawling or playing on the floor."
third hand

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Yeah, she killed herself. Maybe a smoker can admit a total lack of anything remotely resembling a backbone and blame it on something as petty as "peer pressure" but you cant blame it on tobacco companies with any sort success unless you go out of your way to prove you are a complete idiot who lives his life at the whim of advertisers.

For the record McDonalds didnt make anyone fat either.

What the hell happened to people taking responsibility for their actions?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlesUTP
while very touching, i think its safe to assume she killed herself.

nobody put a cigarette in her mouth, and how could you not be aware of the conditions that come along with smoking.

i smoke, maybe a couple a day, but if i were to die it wouldnt be anyones fault but my own.

the tobacco companies put out addictive cigarettes, yes, but nobody is forcing anyone to buy them. its called will power. and when i can gather up mine ill be quitting, or i wont and ill continue. but its my choice, just as it is everyone elses choice.

Well in that case. We should legalize heroine and crack. Why not? We could tax them, and pay of the national deficit a lot quicker. Neither are as addictive as nicotine. And well lets face it. If you are dumb enough to start it would be your own fault...right?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

i never walked past you before

and i have respect for other people, i dont smoke indoors i go outside. its not hard to not be an a-hole

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

and i have respect for other people, i dont smoke indoors i go outside. its not hard to not be an a-hole

Smokers I dislike most are:

Smokers who smoke just outside the doors of stores and malls.

"Polite" smokers who walk down the street and turn away from their companion to exhale and blow it into your face instead.

Smokers who insist on standing in line smoking so that everybody else can inhale their smoke.

Smoking parents who smoke while handling their infants.

Smoking parents with children with asthma who won't quit.

I think thats a good start - there are more if you would like me to continue.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I smoke the occasional cigar, if I get oral cancer I will not blame a plant or the company that cultivated it.

I enjoy alcohol from time to time, if I get liver disease I will not blame the potatoes in my vodka, the barley in my beer or wormwood in my Absinthe.

Doing things that adversely affect ones health removes their ability to blame others for their pain; or perhaps we should and remember to hold gun manufacturers responsible for "Russian roulette" fatalities at the end of it all too.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris

Smokers I dislike most are:

Smokers who smoke just outside the doors of stores and malls.

"Polite" smokers who walk down the street and turn away from their companion to exhale and blow it into your face instead.

Smokers who insist on standing in line smoking so that everybody else can inhale their smoke.

Smoking parents who smoke while handling their infants.

Smoking parents with children with asthma who won't quit.

I think thats a good start - there are more if you would like me to continue.

Non-smokers that I dislike are the one's that are whinning.Excuse me but yeah.
Why vehicles don't bother you?Don't they polute?Yet,nobody complains about them...maybe because even non-smokers want em?How about factories?

To foremanator:Actually...yeah...!Pick the worse drug,still nobody will force anyone to take it.

Come on people...we can't always blame others.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
What the hell happened to people taking responsibility for their actions?

Responsibility for their actions? Like a tobacco industry that markets exclusively to underage minors. Oh and by the way they do. 99% of ALL smokers start before the age of 18. I will give the Government and the industry an A for public opinion shaping though. They have you all thinking you deserve it if you start. Meanwhile the Government makes more from the sale of tobacco than the companys that produce the product.
Not only that, a big chunk of those who have paid in to social services will never get a dime of what they have paid in to their whole life's.
If they really wanted kids not to smoke you would only be able to get tobacco from a pharmacy with a prescription from a doctor.
Some will argue that that would just creat a black market. Dont believe that for a second. People do not smoke to get high. They smoke because they are addicted to nicotine. If you took tobacco of the shelves you would cut tobacco use by 90% in the first year alone.
If you want to point the finger at anyone point it at the Government. They make the most money.

And I don't hold kids accountable for doing stupid things. Its a right of passage. Thats why they are not tried as adults in court. Its called being young and dumb.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
They killed my dad back in 2004 and no, he had no idea what the risks were when he started at age 13. The risks weren't even suggested until much, much later. And I saw him try to quite --- numerous times --- but it was impossible for him for very long. Eventually the emphysema forced him to quit as he slowly suffocated to death. The 'no-one-forced-him' people can shove it.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

thats sad, but nobody in fact DID force him

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I smoke 20 a day, Im telling you now that it is not the tobacco companies fault, they did not make me smoke in the first place, i knew the risks and what would happen if i took it up, I repeat that it is not there fault but mine.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
It's obviously evident the people that say she killed herself have actually never been addicted to cigarettes to begin with. Recent studies from leaders in addictive research have shown nicotine to be more addicting than heroine. Don't believe me. Do a Google search.
I suppose my friends that began smoking in 3rd grade knew well of the risks

[edit on 27-1-2009 by NativeAmerican]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

I'm sorry but still,he wasn't informed,that was society's and maybe even his parents fault.I agree,in the age of 13 we can't hold him responsible but when we're talking about choices wobviously are not talking about kids...!
I'm 150% against cigarettes being sold to kids!!Now this is a subject that you should discuss and it deserves to be discussed.

I'm with ya on this.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
And by the way.
Do you really think that after all these years and trillions of dollars. They couldn't come up with a non addictive tobacco?
More like they came up with a lot more addictive tobacco. And no you are not allowed to grow your own.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by NativeAmerican
It's obviously evident the people that say she killed herself have actually never been addicted to cigarettes to begin with. Recent studies from leaders in addictive research have shown nicotine to be more addicting than heroine. Don't believe me. Do a Google search.

lol Personally,when i was 19,i even reached three packs a day (big story and i'm lazy to tell it right now).That's why i'm buying tobacco and i roll my cigs.

I think you could say that i am addicted.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Tobacco is the only product that when used according to the way it should be used will kill or sicken a certain percentage of the people that use it. It is also highly addictive.

Imagine for a moment any other product that caused this number of deaths and/or cancers. Wouldn't there be huge product liability lawsuits?

Since it is addictive it should be regulated by the FDA and should only be available by prescription.

Just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I think that it's time to make tobacco illegal.

Think how much it would improve the health care crisis here in the US.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join