It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apocalypse in 2012? Date spawns theories, film

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Apocalypse in 2012? Date spawns theories, film

www.cnn.com

The date marks the end of a 5,126-year cycle on the Long Count calendar developed by the Maya, the ancient civilization known for its advanced understanding of astronomy and for the great cities it left behind in Mexico and Central America.

But take the fact that December 21, 2012, coincides with the winter solstice, add claims the Maya picked the time period because it also marks an alignment of the sun with the center of the Milky Way galaxy, and you have the makings of an online sensation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums

* Copy the exact headline of the story into the headline field, don't make one up or sensationalise it. Submissions with inaccurate, biased or otherwise deceptive headlines may be moved, closed or deleted.

[edit on 1/27/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Well this isn't exactly breaking news, but I must admit it's neat to see credible news sources giving this one its time in the spotlight. There's been rumor of the freemasons knowing about 2012 and preparing for it, same with the mormons and several other fraternal order/cults. These are (in my opinion) the same people running our media, so the fact that they're covering this on an international scale leads me to believe nothing is going to happen.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/27/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I forget which one, but there is an entire country in Europe that is preparing for this apparent doomsday scenario as well. I wonder what the Mayans would have been doing in preparation for this celestial event?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Has anybody considered that it working it calendar forward for an infinite amount of time was feasible? They had to pick sometime to stop, and this just seemed like a good choice?

Bueheller?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Quarantine

Already a thread started www.abovetopsecret.com...
Although you have put a little more effort in.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Jnewell33

I think it was the Netherlands that took some preparations, not exacly because of 2012, but more for a coming disaster (which could be WW3 or some kind of natural disaster)... so in these days preparing for anything is not such a bad idea.

And to Aeons, I always asked myself this question, so I'm more than curious where the exact date came from.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by Clairaudience]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The prediction came from the Aztecs. It was their belief that the world was periodically brought to near destruction and those animals that survived evolved and repopulated the world in a new way sometimes with the originals lingering. An example is: after the third destruction I think, the world had no humans was covered and the main animal on the planet was a kind of tailless monkey. Then the earth was flooded almost all over some of the tailless monkeys climbed trees and evolved tail while in other parts the tailless ones survived then the earth was "destroyed" again evaporating most of the water exposing the land. Some of the monkeys with tails started to live on land again and evolved into humans. This is just a small example and may contain some inaccuracies but is accurate to the extent of my knowledge.

top topics

join