It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: The Usenet Message Heard 'Round the World: SPAM Has Arrived.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
On April 12, 1994, the first Simultaneously Posted Advertising Message hit the Internet, making SPAM 10-years old today. The first SPAM, a posting to Internet Usenet groups advertising the legal services of law firm Canter & Siegel, opened the door to intrusive Internet marketing, and the current scourge of the new digital revolution.

CNET News.com By Paul Festa and Evan Hansen Staff Writer, CNET News.com The response was immediate and harsh, offering one of the loudest signals up to that point that unchecked marketing would not be tolerated in the new medium. Thousands of recipients registered their displeasure, and a new label for the burgeoning business of unsolicited mass Internet advertising was coined. It seems like simultaneously just yesterday, and eons ago when I first saw the SPAM message from Canter & Siegel. At the time, I was busy with CD-ROM multimedia (the next big thing if you recall), and wondered why a message for immigration legal services has suddenly appeared in a Usenet discussion group for Macromedia Director users (bonus points to anyone who can tell me what the actual name of Macromedia Director was back then). Just five months later, HotWired.com launched the first Internet ad banner, and the rest, as they say, has been history. More than anything else, rampant SPAM has been a constant problem for current Internet/digital advances. Major networks such as Earthlink, Global Crossing, and AOL report that SPAM e-mail is currently responsible for half of all bandwidth, making the daily cost of supporting unwanted e-mail at millions of dollars. Today, reports indicate that over 80% of all persistent SPAM is sent by less than 20 organizations which resemble organized hackers more than advertisers. They have created ingenious software that searches out slave machines open to attack, implants itself, dynamically alters the parameters of the machine, and sends as many e-mail messages as the machines connection can support. Even servers thought to be secure such as those managed by .mil domains, have been taken over and used by SPAM trojans. 10 years of SPAM. What will the next ten be like? Related News: Stopping Spam Stopping SPAM in its tracks Sophos Fights Spam With Leading Anti- Spam Experts Spamhaus Pitches Anti- Spam Domain Online criminals are 'phishing' for your personal financial data Happy Spamiversary A Gator By Any Other Name Spam busters: 'You're either with us or against us' [Edited on 12-4-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
SO, The next ten years is a big call, given the 'rate of advance'
in I.T. But i think...
Microsoft will lose cred' due to ongoing problems in many
areas, and there will be a slow, but steady shift to Linux...
and Apple(unix) will gain many newbie's too.
Sanc'.

www.wordspy.com...

Is this IRC based

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   
SO, was it Jeremy Allaire?
s.

I meant Rob Burgess, lol
s.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I remember that message and the HUGE furor it caused. Today it seems to be mainly a sucker game of "how many fools can you sucker into paying for spamware." The ones making the spam dumping software and hosting (offshore) the spamhausen are raking in big.

I keep hoping for some good filters. My Spamcop account is reasonably free, but I have an old Unix account and I've got to put some procmail filters on it. The junk is getting overwhelming.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
ummm I was just thinking, shouldn't we all sing "Happy Birthday" ?

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
I remember that message and the HUGE furor it caused. Today it seems to be mainly a sucker game of "how many fools can you sucker into paying for spamware." The ones making the spam dumping software and hosting (offshore) the spamhausen are raking in big.

I keep hoping for some good filters. My Spamcop account is reasonably free, but I have an old Unix account and I've got to put some procmail filters on it. The junk is getting overwhelming.

Here's what i do Byrd, re my inbox.
Don't have your mail open while your'e 'muckin' around', surfing etc.
You can check your mail by going to the homepage of your ISP,
and they should have a "webmail" button. Ppl, don't use this 'clue'
enough, 'cause most homepages(isp) put the emphisis on being
able to check your mail from anywhere in the world, so one thinks
'why would i want to do that? I'm home.
Anyway, click on your ISP webmail, type your details and you can
preview/delete/purge any crud, then open your mail.
Sanc'

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
ummm I was just thinking, shouldn't we all sing "Happy Birthday" ?

Letterman, just a guess.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
The future of Spam is...

www.chainreactionads.com

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
SO,
Linda Clarke?
S.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link