It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Interview with Al-Arabiya

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
News Story Here

This will make some happy.

It will also tick off others.

Obama said in the interview -

"What I told him is start by listening, because all too often the United States starts by dictating," Obama told the interviewer.

In the mode of all the extreme left - he goes overseas and is negative about the USA. Hat in hand. Chamberlain style. Apologizing for things that there is no need to apologize for.

The blame-America-First crowd will love this guy.

I'm sure it'll make many on the left happy here.
But frankly, it makes me sick.

"There are Israelis who recognize that it is important to achieve peace.

:shk: Check the language. He made it sound like he discovered a few Israelis who want peace, but the rest don't? BAH! Israel just wants to be left alone in peace, but HAMAS keeps hitting them with rockets intended to mass murder. He SHOULD have said 'Israel wants peace so tell the 'Palestinians' to quit raining rockets down on them so we can all get on with life.'

They will be willing to make sacrifices if the time is appropriate and if there is serious partnership on the other side."

Check the language out. The Israelis will make sacrifices if the Palestinians agree to be partners? Partners accepting Israeli sacrifice. No mention of sacrifice (like STOP TRYING TO KILL ISRAELIES) on the part of Palestinians.

Immediate edit

[edit on 1/27/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Thanks for this post. I brought this up in a thread last night. This guy really is startimg to scare me. I really want to know who is pulling his strings, Who is the puppet master? What other executive orders can he push through. Maybe before his term is up he will change the constitiution with an executive order to abolish the Presidential term limit.

First I think we are going to have a shocker and get to see the birth of a baby Obama in the white house.

Please lets keep an eye on this guy.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
It's interesting the way Raw Story is spinning this: that it is his FIRST televised interview.

rawstory.com...

In first televised interview as president, Obama speaks with al-Arabiya

For his first, formal, televised interview as President of the United States, Barack Obama could have gone anywhere.

But instead of CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS or any other major American outlet, he's spoken to al-Arabiya, the largest network news provider in the Arab world.

So after only allowing photo media released of the second swearing, and shunning the majority of press, he grants his first interview to an Arab station?

That's pretty unprecedented...or is it??? Obama hates the press? Or just certain press? Or he really is Muslim, as Berg claims is on his Indonesian records. Very strange days indeed.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

While the left may be pleased with this interview (although I doubt for the reasons put forth here), many people outside the right/left paradigm are also going to be pleased.

I think the inference that Obama is apologetic or blaming America is absolutely incorrect. I don't see this new type of hopeful, positive approach as apologetic or blaming America at all. It's pragmatic, and less emotional. We all live on this rock together and this new approach is likely to bring new results.

It's not negative to state the truth. And if we look at the entire quote instead of picking and choosing phrases, the picture becomes more clear. For example:

"All too often the United States starts by dictating -- in the past on some of these issues -- and we don't always know all the factors that are involved," Obama told al-Arabiya. "So let's listen. He's going to be speaking to all the major parties involved. And he will then report back to me. From there we will formulate a specific response."

Source

and

“Ultimately, we cannot tell either the Israelis or the Palestinians what’s best for them. They’re going to have to make some decisions,” Mr. Obama said. “But I do believe that the moment is ripe for both sides to realize that the path that they are on is not going to result in prosperity and security for their people. And that, instead, it’s time to return to the negotiating table.”
Mr. Obama said Israel “will not stop being a strong ally of the United States and I will continue to believe that Israel’s security is paramount. But I also believe that there are Israelis who recognize that it is important to achieve peace. They will be willing to make sacrifices if the time is appropriate and if there is serious partnership on the other side.”
Source

The snippets in the OP standing alone, without the rest of the interview, cannot demonstrate the overall message of the interview. The interview should be seen in full (link below) before making judgments about it.

I WELCOME that this new administration would start listening sometimes, instead of bull-headedly charging forth, assumptions and anger in hand, to "solve" problems that we have with other parts of the world. So, even though I'm not on the extreme left, I am very pleased that Obama is taking this diplomatic step toward peace in the Middle East and around the world.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
The fact is that it is a hallmark of politicians on the left (and hollywooders as well) to travel overseas and, in front of foreign audiences, blame America for the worlds' woes.

And since 'words are important' - to quote Obama ...

They will be willing to make sacrifices if the time is appropriate and if there is serious partnership on the other side."

Check the language out. The Israelis will make sacrifices if the Palestinians agree to be partners? Partners accepting Israeli sacrifice. No mention of sacrifice (like STOP TRYING TO KILL ISRAELIES) on the part of Palestinians.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I think the inference that Obama is apologetic or blaming America is absolutely incorrect.

I'm not at all surprised that you think that way.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Bush called it like it is and that certainly wasn't appreciated by the wider world.

Let Obama talk his talk and dance around with his eloquent style and bon mots. Thats what he was elected to do.

Don't worry. His actions will still be firmly pro-imperial.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
In the mode of all the extreme left - he goes overseas and is negative about the USA.
The fact is that it is a hallmark of politicians on the left (and hollywooders as well) to travel overseas and, in front of foreign audiences, blame America for the worlds' woes.

Obama did not travel overseas. This interview was in his own home. The audience was the world. Yes, some are foreign, but this interview was in the US for the benefit of the US.

Check the language out.

I agree it's important to notice the language, but the inferences you make are different than those made by others. That's why I think it's important to take the interview as a whole, and not snippets that FOX News thinks are important. Their agenda is to feed anti-Obama rhetoric.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cudafox
Thanks for this post. I brought this up in a thread last night. This guy really is startimg to scare me. I really want to know who is pulling his strings, Who is the puppet master? What other executive orders can he push through. Maybe before his term is up he will change the constitiution with an executive order to abolish the Presidential term limit.

First I think we are going to have a shocker and get to see the birth of a baby Obama in the white house.

Please lets keep an eye on this guy.

whaa??? huh?? yeah... all that talk about peacefully living together is scary, right?. well, i guess you got to keep the fear level up somehow.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Upon whom should such blame be placed in our stead?

Is there any other single political entity whose meddling has resulted in such widespread and far-reaching problems?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Obama did not travel overseas. This interview was in his own home.

He was at home but the interview was for the Arab world.

Yes, some are foreign, but this interview was in the US for the benefit of the US.

Not 'some are foreign'. It was a FOREIGN news outlet. It was an Arab news outlet. It was for THEM.

You can claim this was for the benefit of the US because you believe that. Obama may even believe it. But the fact is that he was 'hat in hand' on a foreign news network - one that very, very few Americans take note of. I don't consider that 'benefiting the USA'. Not at all.

the inferences you make are different than those made by others.

The inferences I make are THE SAME as those made by others as well.
SO WHAT?

edited immediately to fix quote

[edit on 1/27/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Has anybody who speaks Arabic heard the Arabic version? I am interested to find out if they translated him correctly or if they edited out certain parts?

as per the quote Obama stated "All too often the United States starts by dictating -- in the past on some of these issues --"

First, I have never known a superpower not to dictate the terms of the deal. You see how well things work out in the UN when everybody is trying to dictate the terms. With success comes power.

Second, I wish he would have given examples. Pretty cheap for him to make a general statement IMO.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by mister.old.school

ahhh ... the blame-america-first bunch are showing up.
Welcome to Chamberlains America. I'm sure YOU will be happy.
(for a while)

Originally posted by Cudafox
I really want to know who is pulling his strings, Who is the puppet master?

The Bildebergers .

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Well I'm not loving it.

I absolutely think we have a critical need to repair our image around world and certain key relationships as well. And while I do think we should reach out to moderate Muslims everywhere and I'm glad Middle East issues are high on his priority list, I think this move is indicative of the over-estimation he has of the comfort level many Americans feel with regard to his background and agenda.

As a supporter, I don't believe the rumors and innuendo, in fact I think they're all pretty ignorant - but if I was inclined to believe them, this would definitely concern me. Not to mention the gloves were already off with one of his biggest detractors, Rush, after trading barbs this weekend. This is just more fuel for the fire.

From a domestic PR standpoint, this was not wise. Citizens are looking for domestic stability and are willing to give Obama a lot of leeway to achieve it. The "nontroversy" this will cause will only distract from that goal. Timing is everything.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
From a domestic PR standpoint, this was not wise. Citizens are looking for domestic stability and are willing to give Obama a lot of leeway to achieve it. The "nontroversy" this will cause will only distract from that goal. Timing is everything.

I have to agree there. And that's why I posted the rawstory version. I notice how everyone has avoided that little issue so far, and I would really like to hear more opinions on it...

What advantage does he seek to gain so soon by granting his first televised interview to an Arab station? I mean really. Think about that. It is important, no doubt, but FIRST? He has a country in ruins to tend to here first.

I will bet my bottom dollar the top media dogs right now are in high level executive meetings beating their heads against walls on how to handle a President who is clearly is not going with the program. And his press secretary ain't doing much better. So far. But that's already too far. If there were true colors to be shown, I sure didn't expect them this quick. I am honestly and totally baffled by the move.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   

It was an Arab news outlet. It was for THEM.

Can you explain why an Arab news outlet would be any worse than any other?

I'd like to read your thoughts on this.

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
one of his biggest detractors, Rush,

OMG .. I just ate my breakfast. Now I have to go take some tums.
Why'd ya' have to bring him up so early in the morning!

Seriously though ... the LANGUAGE he used was typical hat-in-hand blame-america-first. It was also making the impression that he managed to find some Israelis who wanted peace and who would make sacrifices, and all the Arabs had to do was show up and accept those sacrifices. I didn't like it at all.

He said this to a foreign network. An Arab one that have VERY FEW Americans who pay attention to it. It will go over with alot of Americans like he's trying to 'play' them and hide the words from us.

Bill Clinton at the Camp David talks proved that Israel wants peace. (God bless him .. Bill Clinton REALLY TRIED!
) But Obama is making it sound like he somehow managed to find a few Israelis who wanted peace - when in fact most of the nation just wants to be left alone in peace.

Repair relationships? Absolutely. But it can be done without going to an Arab TV network and speaking like this. It's degrading. Not humbling. Degrading. And over there it could easily be seen as a sign of weakness - not one of 'friendly change'. The Arab world has a different psychology then the USA. He can't approach them like he would someone from here.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
This was not for anyone's "comfort level" this was for peacemaking purposes. and an announcement for all humans to grow up and live together. Of course there are politics getting in the way. There always are.

Some are bound and determined to find maliciousness in everything Obama does. He is trying to lead us and so far I think he is doing a pretty good job. Our country and it's politics here and around the world are pretty messed up right now. It's going to take a while to turn things around.

The other day I said I hope Obama grows some bigger balls when dealing with repubs. on the economic bailout... well I take it back the man has got some brass ones. It seems some people need some coddling though.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Some of you are seriously nuts. How can this not be a good thing.

George Bush and others have damaged America's name in the middle east and what Obama is trying to do is repair it. Show them some respect and they will respect you. Its a stinking interview, who cares if he gave it to a Arab TV station. He did plenty with American TV station before and will give plenty more in the future.

Would you rather him continue bushes policy and have the Arab world hate us or try to make allies of them. This man is a genius! By getting the Arab world on his side and letting them know that America respects them and clearly explaining that America's true enemy Al-Qaeda has not done anything good for them is turning the Arab world against the true enemy which is Al-Qaeda. Why fight a war that you don't have to. Try for peace with your enemy rather than war or tension. Form allies in the middle east and you will see how easy it will be to capture Al-Qaeda.

You right wing people are crazy. You had your 8 years now please sit back and allow this man to try and fix what your president messed up. Well mine as well as I voted for him in the first round

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mister.old.school
Can you explain why an Arab news outlet would be any worse than any other?

Don't even try to turn this into an anti-muslim thing, if that's where your mind is going. It's NOT.

It's a FOREIGN news network. One that most Americans don't keep track of and wouldn't know what is said on it. Sometimes what is said on a European network will make it's way into the news here in the USA. But for the most part what is said on Al-Arabiya doesnt'.

Usually we only hear about what is on Al-Jaazerra when someone is mocking it in the news. They are so wild in their reporting.

When he played to their audience, at the expense of Americans, it LOOKS LIKE he was playing to them knowing that most Americans wouldn't be hearing about it.

As I said - Hollywood is infamous for doing this. Playing to foreign press - to be popular over there - while diss'n America and/or Americans.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I woke up to this interview this morning and it made me all warm and fuzzy inside to see the face of America showing humility.

I hate to say this, but DAMN it feels good seeing you patriotic yanks whine about this, it feels good out in every cell of my body and soul to see you people not beeing the popular opinion anymore.

I feel cured by you losing your power. I feel optimistic about the future of our society and the planet for the first time since i was a child.

I thank the higher powers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join