It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Finds High-Fructose Corn Syrup Contains Mercury

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by thefreepatriot

Oh man, I eat Quaker oatmeal bars and Nutri-Grain bars pretty frequently. I didn't even think to check if they'd be using artificial sweeteners like HFCS.

Well, those are going straight in the garbage.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by PuRe EnErGy

Well, I don't disagree with your point that it isn't "just about money."

If someone is trying to make me dim witted and tired -- well, I feel it. It seems a struggle every day to have energy now. I imagine how productive I would be if I could manage a healthy diet again.

But you raise kids, work late, cut a few corners, drink too much coffee and pretty soon, you are serving microwave dinners and medicating away the pains. When you are younger, you can make a few mistakes and bounce back, when you get older, every mistake carries momentum. So it takes personal fortitude to be healthy in America, that I think MOST of us lack.

That's the trap and what pisses me off most about all these "self-made" folks talking about personal responsibility for the food we eat. "You have a choice America, you don't have to eat at McDonalds." Right, you don't have to fall into a black hole, but there it sits, on every damn corner, and inexorable force of nature and to avoid it, you must invest an hour or two of patience as you talk your kids down from their Happy Meal.

And if you avoid McDonalds, well, there's everything else that is affordable at the grocery store. You can go straight to the produce section, and "choose" to pay more for organic, and then you have to cook it. Do you have time and energy to do so? Hooray-- you've one. You made the gauntlet of choices today that will provide you with health -- tomorrow, you get to see if you can do it again.

If you fail, you end up with sugar cravings. Maybe a caffeine withdrawal headache.

It's kind of like lining the entire inside of your house with clones of Jessica Alba in the nude, making lurid gestures at you. If you stay true to your wife in that situation, you are probably gay.

So, we all have a weakness. And this idea that everyone can control everything,... ridiculous. I can't test my water for lead, because I have to spend that money on organic spinach, and I blew money on my home salmonella testing kit.

Of course, I could be addicted to gambling, Oxycontin, or Golf -- any of these will send me to the poor house.

Everybody has one weakness or two. Eventually, something gets to us all.

Folks, we have to mandate a few things to make food healthy again. We have to protect people at least enough so that being healthy isn't a struggle.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

Have you tried the expensive stevia?

I have a bag of dried stevia leaf that I use in tea, but not in anything else because the aftertaste is slightly bitter.

Recently did some work building a patio for an older couple, and the old lady sweetened the tea with stevia (they are both heart patients and can't have some types of food) and it was darned good. No aftertaste either.

I asked about it and she showed me a bottle of refined stevia that looked like powdered sugar. It was much sweeter than sugar, and with no noticeable aftertaste.

She said it was around $20 at the local organic food store but also said that one largish bottle lasts her almost an entire year.

Going to buy some off eBay as soon as I collect my next paycheck.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by invisibleman11
fanfrickentastic, ive lost all hope in the FDA. i think im going to go buy a bottle of high frutose corn syrup and off myself.... just kidding that would probably slow and painful

That is the funniest thing i have heard in a while. Mainly because it is probally true

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by synyster.

If it's sweet, chances are it has HFCS in it. ALWAYS check the label. Also, some foods you wouldn't suspect such as ketchup, barbecue sauce, etc. have it.

I read an excellent book a couple of years ago called Against the Grain (sorry, can't remember the author's name) which explained many of the problems of modern agriculture, including how HFCS ended up replacing sugar in so many processed products. However, lately I've noticed several items in the supermarket boasting on their labels that they contain only natural sugar, no high fructose corn syrup, no doubt in response to many people starting to become aware that HFCS can cause diabetes as well as other health issues.

FYI...Mercury is one of the more toxic substances. It usually ends up stored in fatty tissues in the human body, the brain, the nervous system. It's been implicated in causing miscarriages. It's a component of some vaccines (as a preservative), such as the flu vaccine. Oh, and if you have those old-fashioned silver fillings, it's in your fillings, too. Unless you're experiencing problems with your fillings, you're probably best off leaving them where they are, because removing them may result in your being exposed to more mercury.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
My wife just picked up a box of Truvia (made from the stevia plant) and absolutely LOVES it. She says it's not as bitter as Stevia but still has the sweet.

I think it cost around $3.29 for a box of 40 packets.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join