It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Finds High-Fructose Corn Syrup Contains Mercury

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
For those of you Soda Lovers out there...

I have been turned on to something recently, which I really enjoy, and feel tastes better than American Coke.

It's commonly referred to as Coca Mexicana.

In the spanish section of the Kroger in our area you can find Coca Cola from Mexico... the difference? Made with sugar. Not HFCS.

You can actually taste the difference... and it is amazing.

>> Totally agree. I had some coke in Peru, which of course is made with sugar, and it was so much better (and satisfying) than the crap with corn syrup.

Obesity in America kind of trended up about the same time that Corn Syrup started being used as a sweetener. Corn is the #1 thing used to feed and fatten up livestock, so do you think they chose it for it's healthy, diet friendly nature?

Whether or not there is significant levels of mercury, any manner of corn in food that is not just sweet corn bread, or corn on the cobb, should be banned. Corn itself is barely digestible -- if you don't chew a kernel, it passes right through your digestive system without harm.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Brown sugar is better for you than white sugar. At least one reason is that sugar producers use bleach to make brown sugar white, and bleach obviously isn't good for you.

I'm glad--and not a little surprised--that this study actually broke the publicity barrier, particularly in via an MSM outlet as high-profile as the Post.

An idea for someone with more time, motivation and tech skills than I: put together a series of parody ads (a la the "truth" anti-smoking campaign) to satirize the allegedly benign nature of HFCS.

One might include HFCS' recently investigated links to hypertension, diabetes, and obesity.

Also interesting is the fact that the "in moderation" caveat which ends the pro-HFCS ads (see above) sounds more like a drug commercial disclaimer than anything else.

Which disclaimer, of course, is intended to reduce the legal liability of drug makers who know that their products are dangerous when (mis)used.

The question is, does the similarity of these statements reasonably imply that the corn/sweetener industry has similar knowledge w/r/t the potential danger of HFCS?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
As a regular visitor to the USA I have to say that the food out there always made me want to voimt whenever I ate out.

I have always trusted my body when it comes to eating. It always knows what is good and what is bad, and I have trained myself to be even more fine tuned when it comes to actually tasting foods.

I do find that naturally prepared and unprocessed foods are as palatable as foods in my normal diet at home in the UK. However, as soon as I am in the US and unable to get anything organic, I actually feel physically ill now.

I know that it is probably more mental stigma these days, but it wasn't that way in the beginning... at least not until I found out about some of the dirty secrets to do with food and how it is processed.

I only wish that someone out there would do something.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
I have been turned on to something recently, which I really enjoy, and feel tastes better than American Coke.

It's commonly referred to as Coca Mexicana.

In the spanish section of the Kroger in our area you can find Coca Cola from Mexico... the difference? Made with sugar. Not HFCS.

Make sure to always check the label. Some of the Coca Cola coming out Mexico uses HFCS. Personally, I drink Hansen’s Natural Soda. It uses sugar as well. Blue Sky Soda, owned by Hansens's also uses sugar, though their website says otherwise (must be a recent change).

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by thefreepatriot

Do you have a link for that table of mercury laden ingredients you listed? I have quite a few people I'd like to share it with. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Turbanado sugar is the brownish, unrefined sugar. Most white table sugar is produced using GMO Beets. I'm not exactly sure of the process used to turn red beets into white sugar. I'm not sure I want to know.

Turbanado sugar (you might know the brand "Sugar in the Raw") is a great substitute for regular table sugar. You can also find some nice organic cane sugars which isn't priced too terribly high compared to the regular stuff.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Actually, any of the refined products of sugar cane, sugar beets, etc., cause significant (and similar) health problems. For example:

White sugar is 99% sucrose. Sugar crystals are 99% sucrose. Brown sugar is 98% sucrose. Sucrose is a disaccharide (double sugar) composed of glucose and fructose. Glucose and fructose are monosaccharides or simple sugars. Both disaccharides and monosaccharides are rapidly metabolized and have quite a range of negative health consequences. This paragraph draws from the following book:

Sweet and natural: more than 120 sugar-free and dairy-free desserts, by Meredith McCarty. 1999. Copyright 1999 St. Martin's Press, New York.

Those conclusions are also shared by the following books:

Pure, white and deadly: the problem of sugar, by John Yudkin, MD.
Copyright 1988 Penguin UK, London.

Sugar blues, by William Dufty. Copyright 1976 Chilton, New York.

So, what sweeteners do not undermine your health? For home cooking, I most often use organic brown rice syrup, which withstands cooking very well, or can be added to a cup of tea, a cold drink, and the like. A good alternative is maple syrup; maple syrup dried granules can also be had, which are more portable than the liquid form.

I don't use honey; it contains fructose and glucose, both simple sugars; it also contains small amounts of maltose ( another disaccharide) and sucrose. Also I saw a news report today somewhere that stated almost half of some honey samples tested were found to be contaminated with GM - genetically modified - material. Oh, here is that link:

www.organicconsumers.org...

It's a dangerous world.

[edit on 1/27/2009 by Uphill]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Yep, good stuff man.

Also check out Jarritos, you can find it in the Mexican check-cashing/grocery stores. No HFCS, only sugar.

They have all flavors like pineapple and apple, makes some good chaser for bourbon.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
What does everyone think about Blue Agave syrup?
How about "fermented sugar?"

There is Stevia which has no calories -- but I can't stand the stuff.

I realize, that to be truly healthy, I have to kill my sweet tooth. Even totally natural sugar, in abundance does damage to DNA. I've read some articles about how simple sugars in general, bond with proteins in the cells -- it ages them, and is very similar to "cooking." Just a lot, lot slower.

But it's so damn hard to get back to a health lifestyle. Everything seems to get in the way of a balanced, healthy life.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I thought I would also post these links to supplement what you have already found:

Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy

whitepaper in pdf on Mercury in HFCF PDF link

This just hammers home that the ads you see on TV promoting HFCS are very sinister.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Gotta agree.

Mexican coke is WAY better then the american version. It tastes much better, and it comes in a glass bottle.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
They must be trying to make us all stupid or something, this is horrible, I can't believe this crap and all we do is write a thread about it while these jack-donkeys poison us.. Whoops we didn't mean to? come on .. ugh.. It's a shame most of these craptacular conspiracies are coming true.

It's funny how humans can think so negatively all the time yet when it comes to thinking negatively so we can progress it's like .. uhh I'm too lazy for "that" kind of negativity I'd rather just beeitch and moan about it instead of doing anything.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Interesting... I'm gonna put away the Dr. Pepper here and pull out a beer....

Just some background on Mercury (Hg)
Mercury is a pretty rare element from what I know, and not very abundant in the geology of the earth.. IIRC it comes from the natural component Mercury Sulfide II.

As a mineral,
Generally speaking it is pretty rare and found in very low PpM naturally in ore and relatively harmless common form. Being soluble makes it toxic.
Anyway, enough on the lecture as you can find out plenty on the web. It has been around since ancient times.

Originally posted by truthquest
One critical thing missing from the story was the actual quantity of mercury found in the corn syrup. Without knowing that its hard to say if this is a big story or not.

In the first study, researchers found detectable levels of mercury in nine of 20 samples of commercial HFCS. The study was published in current issue of Environmental Health.

My first question is what level is detectable? I'm not much of a chemist but I would like to know what is the PpM that is considered acceptable by current standards. What is the toxicity level?

2nd question:
Where does it come from?
Mercury contaminated Caustic Soda?
Seems kinda odd... maybe it comes from the rendering down of HFCS in the production process. This is something I know nothing of, so any help would be appreciated.

I have read plenty of bad poo regarding HFCS, and to me it seems wise to stay away from it entirely, but one might ask: "how do we do that in this day and age?"

That right there, is nice info bro!

First place to start the cut is with the beverages.
All those times I was hanging around the taco truck last summer it was right under my nose.

But if a cold carbonated beverage is your calling, like many;
You may even find it in the supermarkets out here in the west USA:

Jarritos
Hey, at least if it all comes down to it... maybe we can use a couple of cans of mercury laden soda while we are out panning for gold.

Cheers,
T-Minus

[ed.... speller]

[edit on 09/1/27 by telemetry]

[edit on 09/1/27 by telemetry]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
So, while reading this post I was drinking some Lucerne "Very Berry Strawberry Milk" (which is damn good in my opinion
) and I decided to look at the nutrition facts. I thought "Hey, it's milk, why would they put HFCS in this?"

And what do you know.
In milk, they are adding this junk.

Ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I try and stay away from HFCS but it's so prevalent it's sometimes difficult. I pretty much have it gone. I do use lots of stevia, good stuff. It's sad that I can use my food stamps to get sugar, corn syrup, whatever, but I can't use it to by stevia.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by synyster.

Really?! I was unaware they added that to milk, I only drink organic stuff since my GF got me hooked on that.

Maybe it is in the chocolate?

hrmmm, I'll stick to beer.
Great taste, less filling.

T minus

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuRe EnErGy
They must be trying to make us all stupid or something, this is horrible, I can't believe this crap and all we do is write a thread about it while these jack-donkeys poison us.. Whoops we didn't mean to? come on .. ugh.. It's a shame most of these craptacular conspiracies are coming true.

It's funny how humans can think so negatively all the time yet when it comes to thinking negatively so we can progress it's like .. uhh I'm too lazy for "that" kind of negativity I'd rather just beeitch and moan about it instead of doing anything.

Look, most people are decent.

It's just that, certain folks addicted to money and who have no compassion, will poison your kids for an extra steak dinner. They hire PR agents to smooth over the discrepancies. Thus, you have the explanation for 90% of the misery in this world; someone makes a buck.

Our EPA, FDA and other three lettered agencies, have abandoned the notion of "what is good for us" to go for a new standard; "what doesn't kill a rat in 3 months." So, if we all get stupid because of mono-saturates, corn syrup, MSG, and mercury -- meh.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

Agave is primarily fructose, according to online sources I just checked quickly. That is not particularly encouraging, especially since agave is very expensive. I will see if I can get more information together on agave.

And yes, I'm pausing for a beer right now myself. Good nite, all.

[edit on 1/27/2009 by Uphill]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I honestly don't think this has anything to do with money really, .. to keep people at bay intellectually to usurp power and maintain an edge on everyone it seems to be the best idea to calcify certain glands and to destroy other functions or maim them in such a way that proper development becomes a struggle and a very tedious task.

I watched a documentary about corn I HIGHLY suggest watching it.
King Corn - imdb.com

About The Movie

King Corn is a feature documentary about two friends, one acre of corn, and the subsidized crop that drives our fast-food nation. In King Corn, Ian Cheney and Curt Ellis, best friends from college on the east coast, move to the heartland to learn where their food comes from. With the help of friendly neighbors, genetically modified seeds, and powerful herbicides, they plant and grow a bumper crop of America's most-productive, most-subsidized grain on one acre of Iowa soil. But when they try to follow their pile of corn into the food system, what they find raises troubling questions about how we eat-and how we farm

When they checked what his body was using to construct itself they found that he was "made" of corn because it is in almost ALLLL of our food, it was kind of creepy when I watched that part, it was awhile ago as well which is why I'm not quite sure of the test but that basically sums up what the findings were.

But Mercury! ...... Shameful, truly shameful to feed this to people.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by PuRe EnErGy

Thanks for the link... very interesting video, Just skimming over it and all.

When they checked what his body was using to construct itself they found that he was "made" of corn because it is in almost ALLLL of our food..

I seem to remember reading something about tiny people being born (or made from) corn kernels when I was younger, some Native American legend or something. For the life of me I can't remember it now. Anyone?

Is corn able to or does it absorb mercury more readily than other grains?

hrrm.

T Minus

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join