It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Finds High-Fructose Corn Syrup Contains Mercury

page: 1&mem=
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Study Finds High-Fructose Corn Syrup Contains Mercury

www.washingtonpost.com

Almost half of tested samples of commercial high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) contained mercury, which was also found in nearly a third of 55 popular brand-name food and beverage products where HFCS is the first- or second-highest labeled ingredient, according to two new U.S. studies.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
One critical thing missing from the story was the actual quantity of mercury found in the corn syrup. Without knowing that its hard to say if this is a big story or not.

The defense offered by an associate of corn farmers didn't bother to refute however that the amounts were insignificant. Rather they seem to claim that they used contaminated old corn rather than new mercury-free corn, which seems ridiculous to me.

See their defense at: prnewswire.com

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

mod edit to fix link

[edit on 27-1-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by truthquest

Another good find, Truthquest.

Regardless of the amount, heavy metals and your body's natural biology are arch enemies. I've been researching a "heavy metal detox" lately that I'm going to start on around the same time I get my wisdom teeth/metal fillings taken out.

The thing that pisses me off about the most about this -Snip-, is there's actually a nationwide campaign going on right now.

I noticed they've ramped this up as of late. I wonder if it has anything to do with Vilsack being appointed Secretary of Agriculture.

If all the HFCS that is steadily replacing natural sugar cane is extracted from a GMO source, problems like diabetes, sterility, and cancers will supercede that of obesity and "over consumption."

Mod Edit: Do Not Circumvent The Censors/Post Profanity.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I actually did a study with myself and HFCS vs. Real sugar.

I found that i had increased muscle aches, headaches, weight gain and allergies with HFCS.

I will take real sugar over HFCS anyday.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Here's another tidbit of info on HFCS. The first ingredient that is used to make HFCS is sulfuric acid. It's used to break down the dried corn kernals.
Not something I want to put in my system. Would you?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

I HATE THOSE COMMERICALS.

They are so freak'n stupid.

They make it look like the people who know not to eat High Fructose Corn Syrup don't know what they are talking about.

Every time we see them, and the person is asked 'why shouldn't I eat the corn syrup' ... we all chime in and talk over the commercial guy who is sitting with a stupid look on his face not knowing what to say ... we all chime in on exactly why.

It ticks us off so badly that we actually talk to the TV.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
For those of you Soda Lovers out there...

I have been turned on to something recently, which I really enjoy, and feel tastes better than American Coke.

It's commonly referred to as Coca Mexicana.

In the spanish section of the Kroger in our area you can find Coca Cola from Mexico... the difference? Made with sugar. Not HFCS.

You can actually taste the difference... and it is amazing.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
fanfrickentastic, ive lost all hope in the FDA. i think im going to go buy a bottle of high frutose corn syrup and off myself.... just kidding that would probably slow and painful

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
For those of you Soda Lovers out there...

I have been turned on to something recently, which I really enjoy, and feel tastes better than American Coke.

It's commonly referred to as Coca Mexicana.

In the spanish section of the Kroger in our area you can find Coca Cola from Mexico... the difference? Made with sugar. Not HFCS.

You can actually taste the difference... and it is amazing.

Thanks for pointing that out. If that drink uses sugar chances are its not the only one on the market using sugar. I think brown sugar is significantly more healthy than white sugar. And of course the most popular sweetener in health circles is honey, which I'd bet no soft drinks will have as a sweetener though I imagine if used it would taste even better than sugar.

But you aren't really totally in the clear by drinking Coca Mexicana either because they probably use ordinary tap water meaning Coca Mexicana could contain sodium fluoride.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest
But you aren't really totally in the clear by drinking Coca Mexicana either because they probably use ordinary tap water meaning Coca Mexicana could contain sodium fluoride.

Not to mention possibly GM Sugar as well...

I've decided to kill my soda habit for good as Soda and Cigarettes are really for the sheeple anyways...

Put the nix on the occasional Starbucks as well - even tho you know what your getting there isn't healthy - they don't even try to hide it.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Yes, I have tried this kind of Coke also, and you are right..it tastes better, goes down easier, and...it costs more. But it is very good.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
HFCS causes me to have breakouts. I stear clear of it as much as possible, but you would be amazed how many food products have HFCS in them. Seriously, get up and look in your fridge and cabinets. Read all the ingredients in your food that you have at your house. I have found HFCS in foods that I never would have thought of it being in. I stopped drinking soda a long time ago and noticed a huge difference with how I felt overall and the decrease in skin irritation.

Jones pure sugar cane Soda
I buy Jones Soda when I want the taste of a soda. Its has a great taste. There is a locator on the site that will tell you what stores they are sold in. It may help if you want to try it.

Also if you send a picture in it might get picked and end up on the bottle/case. Just thought I would add that

[edit on 27-1-2009 by A NeWorlDisorder]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by truthquest

I think brown sugar is significantly more healthy than white sugar.

Sorry, Brown sugar is nothing but white sugar with molasses added.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Muundoggie

Not in the raw sugar... get turbinado sugar which is sugar cane crystals in its natural state...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I think he means demerara (sp?) sugar. The unrefined stuff.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
www.iatp.org... direct link to studies.... and here are the amounts of mercury detected per food product

www.healthobservatory.org...

will try to turn into jpeg to upload directly... ANY AMOUNT of mercury is unnacceptable as it accumalates in the body...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I don't eat anything with HCFS because for whatever reason it reacts very poorly with my digestive system
After reading this I'm glad I don't use it.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazyninja

I think he means demerara (sp?) sugar. The unrefined stuff.

That of course would be different. However the "brown" sugar next to the white sugar on the grocery shelf is just as I stated.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I stopped eating processed food a couple of years ago. I was able to get off of antidepressant medication when I stopped consuming the poison.

Now whenever I do eat processed food (in a restaurant or at my parents house), I get headaches, fatigue, RLS (restless leg syndrome), depression and anxiety. As soon as I get back on my normal organic diet, all of those symptoms disappear.

People just have no idea how badly they're being poisoned. Another one is MSG... it's in EVERYTHING... and it's hidden (not on the food labels). And it's now linked to obesity.

Check out the links in my signature... the truth will set you free (in addition to scaring the hell out of you).

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join