It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Classified US military secrets on MP3 player

page: 1/
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Classified US military secrets on MP3 player

apcmag.com

A New Zealander has inadvertently gained access to US military secrets after buying an old MP3 player for $NZ18 ($14.50) from an op-shop.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.abc.net.au

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
There is not an awful lot to report so far because it is still a new story. I would imagine he will have to give up the data and testify he has not kept any data.

Apparently there is a secret mission briefing stored on the MP3 player. I imagine it was used as a storage device as well as music.
How could you sell something like that? Unless it was stolen then sold.

snip
"Although most of the files are dated 2005, TV One said it rang some of the phone numbers and they were answered by the corresponding personnel."

Not that old for secrets then!!

apcmag.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by majestictwo

Good thread, mj2, Star!

I think it's commendable that this guy turned it in; and didn't try to sell the
secret info! Very patriotic, for America, from a New Zealand citizen... Chris Ogle should be rewarded a little, to set a good example for others.

Likely this story will be pulled/buried out of embarrassment on behalf of the U.S. gov., though.

Reminds me about a story with similarities dating from 2001, before the World Trade Center tragedies.... (If I have this correct) FBI Special Agent John O'Niel (part of our anti-terrorist taskforce at the time) was drinking at a bar he frequented one evening, and forgot his briefcase full of classified documents, and a secure cell phone, and was fired for it!!!

I looked for follow-up stories of the incident for weeks, and heard nothing more about it...

A little later, through his connections, he was hired at the WTC as head of security, and died in the collapses on 9/11/01...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by FRIGHTENER

i thought that the briefcase was stolen from his hotel room, and i also thought he retired and was not fired. maybe my recollection of the event is wrong?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Surely it can’t be as simple as saying “excuse me Sir USA I’ve got your secret files” .
He went to the media and they phoned people up. Do you reckon they took a copy, sure they did. I expect they said they didn’t but the secret file keeper also knows that.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by g raj

You're right, g raj, my mistake, it was as you said about the briefcase, and retirement... Star! Good recollection! FBI Agent John O'Neill

I don't wanna be guilty of hijacking the thread, or going off topic, so I must include something I found about Chris Ogle, and his second-hand MP3 player: He offered to give it back to U.S.

I read that Janine Burns, spokeswoman for the U.S. Embassy in Wellington, had nothing to add about this incident, and no response to Ogle's offer to return the classified info...

WOW! Shouldn't she jump at the chance to retrieve it right away? The longer she waits, the more chances increase that the data could fall into the wrong hands!

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

No, I guess not, mj2- thanks for reply. But it turns out, that's what he's doing, offering it's return!

Suppose it's possible, most people probably would! Me, I wouldn't. I'd call some authorities, either local or FBI, or high up as I could find, cause I'm an American patriot!

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by FRIGHTENER
Suppose it's possible, most people probably would! Me, I wouldn't. I'd call some authorities, either local or FBI, or high up as I could find, cause I'm an American patriot!

If by chance you accidentally heard the contents of the mp3 before realizing what you were listening to, and let's say it's the sort of thing a "patriot" such as yourself really didn't want to hear (if you get what I mean), would you still just turn it in and forget about the whole incident? Or would you do the truly patriotic thing and expose those #$%@, no matter who they are?

Just curious.

[edit on 28/1/09 by Navieko]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Navieko

Really good question there, Navieko, thanks!

I guess if it only contained names & numbers and mostly unharmful info, then YES; I'd turn it in.

But, if it contained specific info, relating to some type of cover-up by high-ranking powers that be (if that's what you meant), then NO... which creates a problem for me at that point, doesn't it? Who to trust?

Regular media might look like an option, but to me, they aren't always on our side... except maybe PBS like their 'FRONTLINE' show.

Wow, you got me thinking. YES, I'd want to expose them, but allow me to pose that question back at you- How would YOU expose them? Who would you trust? Certainly not gov, or MSM, or even the wrong friend...

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Symphony Of Destruction

The secret: Michael Jackson's latest album actually doesn't suck, but they're keeping that from the public.

On an ever-so-slightly more serious note, it is rather disturbing to consider that classified information pertaining to U.S. personnel and operations in Iraq and Afghanistan somehow ended up on an MP3 player in New Zealand.

Where's the RIAA when you need them?

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Wow, you got me thinking. YES, I'd want to expose them, but allow me to pose that question back at you- How would YOU expose them? Who would you trust? Certainly not gov, or MSM, or even the wrong friend...

The Internet my friend, the internet.

In fact, you'd hear about it right here on ATS first.
Once it's out on the net, then I'd contemplate which sector of MSM to trust -- so that we can really let the world know. That would be the toughest part, I agree.

But yeah, as long as you'd want to use the information to expose the corrupt & help take the trash out (assuming that's the sort of data on the mp3), I consider you a patriot.

[edit on 28/1/09 by Navieko]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Okey this is funny and interesting. i mean the us beeing sooo sloppy with their secrets. i think they need more red menace in order to keep them so that they actualy get a challange. and this is extreamly interesting, is there anyway we can get to hear what was on the player ?

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I'm guessing if any of the files are all that sensitive they will confiscate all his electronics and go through everyone to make sure he had no copies of the information.

If they did find a copy on say his lap top well he can say good bye to the lap top. Sense he did view the info on what appears to be a lap top chances are if it's only in a cache file then they will keep his and buy him a new lap top.

Now this would only happen if the material was very sensitive. He will probably be grilled a little bit to make sure he didn't give the information away.

However sense they know he has it and they are not trying to actively get it back as of yesterday anyway, the info on it is pry pretty useless at this point other than the lists of military personnel information.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Navieko

Thanks for reply... and a patriotic Star for you!

Of course the internet! Duhh! Here I am ON the internet, but still an old-schooler, never even thinking of it yet! Thanks! (hey, I used pay phones back in the day!)

But, as a deep thinker, also, I must ask: How would we get it posted on the net, anonymously? Aren't all IP's trackable, and traceable? Call me paranoid, or just experienced with au6th6or6ities, but if the data WAS as revealing and damaging and potentially some kind of threat to the super- powers-that-be, wouldn't "they" be scanning the globe for it to pop-up in a phone conversation, or online?

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   

If it was something that needed exposing and my guess it would not be. I agree it’s difficult to be truly anonymous.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Hey thank-you for the reply majestictwo. Star!

Yeah, it probably wouldn't be anything that juicy...but remember, "eyes of the beholder!"

Yeah, guess it's difficult to avoid one's ID online.

Maybe Navieko has an idea...

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Hey thank-you for the reply majestictwo. Star!

Yeah, it probably wouldn't be anything that juicy...but remember, "eyes of the beholder!"

Yeah, guess it's difficult to avoid one's ID online.

Maybe Navieko has an idea...

Have been away for a few days and I’m in thread catch up mode. Hence the brief reply.

I would cost money to be anonymous. As this guy is in NZ and he wanted to release something to open public he would probably have to wait until he next went to the USA. Buy disks make copies post in news media mail boxes without envelope and finger prints – just an idea.
I think they should be more worried about someone who put sensitive data on a personal MP3. What else has happened like this? On the other hand perhaps the person who lost it lost it on purpose.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   

No Star? What am I; chopped liver? just kiddin.

Glad you're back. Thanks for reply again, Star!

Good idea. And you make a great point, that MP3 player could be traceable through serial #, if purchased with card, original owner may be known that way.

If military, then person could get reprimanded, if, like you suggest, on purpose!

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Hmm I posted this 5 days ago...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Hmm I posted this 5 days ago...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry Chadwickus – This has happened three times lately and after a search. I’m going to have to investigate my search maybe there’s a problem.

Anyhow perhaps those already here would like to follow up on your thread.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join