It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia day or Invasion day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Watching the news last night I saw 2 reports regarding Australia Day.
White Australia considers it A day to drink, celebrate and sit on the beach in 35oC weather, having a BBQ and just enjoying catching up with mates.
People watch the fireworks and throw Frisbee’s while enjoying the day off work.

Aboriginal Australia, do dances and tribal feasts, mourning the loss of their land in what they call ' Invasion Day '. The day British settlers arrived and planted the flag declaring this land Australia.

Now, there's no reason that Aboriginal Australia cannot join in the festivities, while keeping a remembrance of that day.

Why they are placing the argument that the 26th shouldn’t be Australia day is beyond me, Australia day is about Australia, white, black, brown, yellow.

They have more of a reason to be celebrating it than us, they are the original Australians...

So which is it, should Australia day be called Invasion day?

www.abc.net.au...

The new Australian of the Year, Mick Dodson, says the use of January 26 as Australia Day alienates Indigenous Australians because it commemorates the arrival of the First Fleet, and he has urged national debate on whether or not to change the date.

But Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has emphatically ruled out any change with a "simple, respectful, but straightforward no".

www.abc.net.au...

A Tasmanian Aborigine has reignited the national debate about flag burning, after an Australia Day protest in Launceston yesterday.

About 100 Aborigines from across Tasmania rallied in Launceston's City Park against what they call "Invasion Day".

After the speeches, Adam Thompson stepped from the crowd and burnt the Australian flag with a cigarette lighter, to cheers from the crowd.

The Australian National Flag Association's Reg Watson has branded the act "despicable", calling on the Federal Government to make it illegal.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
To add,

A term being overused in Australia lately is '' un-australian ''

Well, yesterday on the news I saw reports of White Australians in Sydney going to indian's shops, pakistani restaurants, Sudanese homes and smashing windows and scrawling grafitti declaring

'' we are full, go home ''

How un-Australian can one be?

To me, the argument from Aboriginals that Australia day needs to be changed to Invasion day is just as Un-Australian as the white Australians chanting racist slogans.

Both of them believe they have the right to tell others who have made this land their home, to go home your not wanted.

Australia day is a day where people become citizens with ceremonies.
Its a day to remember '' sorry day '' the Day that supposidly changed everything for Aboriginals.

Why we seem to be turning on each other in a time when saying sorry and opening your land to unfortunate others is upon is us, is truely UNAUSTRALIAN!

...p.s

Im not even Australian, but I call Australia Home.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Quite frankly I find the idea absurd. Now while I am all for Aborigine's being treated with the same regard as everyone else, and I also know that they still face many hardships particularly in the Northern Territory - this is going too damned far.

Personally, I see Australia Day as the day that we celebrate the fact that we became a great nation, we celebrate the fact that we are proud to be Australian - not a single person I know puts on a BBQ in honour of "The day we invaded the blackies".

We have said we are Sorry, we recognise the need for greater attention to be drawn to the plight of the Aboriginal but damned if I am going to support changing the day that we get to proudly celebrate who we are. We are NOT our ancestors, we personally did not invade 'your' country - jesus it was over 200 years ago for crying out loud LET IT GO.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
A term being overused in Australia lately is '' un-australian ''

That term is just a clever mind control technique to make sheep feel they are no longer part of the flock. It's an indirect way of saying "behave like we want".

I have no problems with Aboriginals calling it "invasion day".

I'd like to see the US to try to convince Iraqis that March 20 is "Iraq Day".

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I think that the media has made this whole situation a lot more volatile than it should ever have been.

I am neither for or against altering the current day that we celebrate this great nation.

On one hand, January 26th is the day we have always celebrated our nation.
On the other, this is the day that the British landed in Australia and began to force the native inhabitants from their land.
Whilst this is considered to be the birth of the nation by many, would January the 1st, the day we became a federation and won the right to self govern our country be more suitable?
What would be wrong with changing the date to the proposed one - the day that aboriginals were finally given the right to vote - the right to decide who was in charge of the country.
Surely as a proud democracy, the date we were all given equal democratic rights is a day that we should mark in some way - the time when all Australias regardless of colour or ethnicity were given equal say in the future.
As noted by others above, most Aussies see this as an opportunity to celebrate our country and show a little patriotism - the date shouldn't matter at all, the fact that we are a self governed, democratic nation made up of people from all countries and religions, that all people are given equal rights under our laws.
That we are a country of innovative and intelligent individuals with a great laid back sense of humour and a friendly attitude is what should be celebrated -- it may be idealistic, but to me that is part of the charm.
Knowing who we are and where we come from, and dreaming of a better future together is what this day should be about, regardless of the date it is celebrated upon.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by ilandrah]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Why would they celebrate the day there people where slaughted?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Exactly right "Let it go". Reconciliation will never be achieved unless both sides Let it go. It happened, lets move on & treat & acknowledge all regardless of colour as 1 Australia as the song says "Where all in this together"

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
i'm not sure if this is a dead thread but i find this conversation very interesting...

Perhaps not now whilst the country is crisis, but another time i was wondering if people would care to comment, did everyone notice how (i believe it was) Chinese new year co-incided with australia day this year? I thought it was fantastic - it was a cause for double celebration. I don't see how anyone could consider themselves more australian (except for our indigineous population).

What really get's me upset are these Southern Cross soldiers.

www.news.com.au...

They do have a website as well... I couldn't find it anymore so hopefully it's been pulled

Yeah these wankers celebrate the Cronulla beach riots as some kind of anniversary

(Sorry, i hope i'm not hijacking your thread. i will make it a new post if you like)

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
it was over 200 years ago for crying out loud LET IT GO.

It was over 200 years ago when the colonisation/invasion etc. began on the east coast.

It took a long time to reach the rest of the country. Indeed there are still relatively untouched places in remote areas where communities sit around fires, sing ancient songs and teach children old stories.

There are people still carrying out ancient ceremonies in places threatened by mining companies.
website

The Australia Day / Invasion Day issue distracts from the real issue of the sovereignty of indigenous nations within Australia.
video

Here is a thread I started specifically related to the geographic area known as South Australia.
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread452292/pg1

[edit on 10-4-2009 by ivycutler]

[edit on 10-4-2009 by ivycutler]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I can see it from both perspectives.(while i prefer the drinking part)

But, Imagine if Indonesia invaded Australia would you or your great grand kids become Indonesian and follow there way of life? i know for a fact i would be telling my kids to they invaded and made sure they told there kids the same.

So i see why they still have a whinge but i dont agree with it....

And on the un-australian(wait for a minute in): -

i lol'ed

new topics

top topics

join