It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officer posted video of drunk Aborigine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Officer posted video of drunk Aborigine

www.news.com.au

A POLICE officer has been reprimanded for making a man sing and dance on camera and posting the footage on YouTube.

The footage was filmed in a remote community near Katherine and showed an apparently drunk man, named Chappy, laying next to a paint tin singing Rivers of Babylon, the Northern Territory News reports.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
More regrettable actions from the alleged keepers of the law.

Another case of where a cop think that he can do whatever he likes, abuse someone and then make a joke of it by putting it on YouTube.

Yet, when Joe Public tries to turn the cameras back on to the cops, it's always a completely different reaction, isn't it?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I just spotted this on News.com.au as I was looking for information about the 'race riots'.

Paint sniffing and alcoholism are a real problem in the NT, and for Police to be making fun of it is sickening.

Those people need help and rehabilitation, not to be made fun of and spread for the world to see.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Ewww... This is a problem everywhere isn't it?
Low intelligence in those who are in charge.
Guns and weapons in the hands of those without compassion.
Little boy thug mentality.
Spells trouble for all.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
My Aunty used to work for some bloke in Government that dealt with Aboriginal affairs (excuse the complete ignorance of whom or what exact department - I have a hangover and can't think of them for the life of me.) Although she rarely speaks about her time there, I know she is permanantly damaged from seeing the corruption, scandalism and sheer lack of caring. Every time someone mentions the plight of the Aboriginal people, particularly in reference to the Howard government, she bursts into tears.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Very bad putting it on YouTube.

He would have been better off waiting until the bloke straightened up a bit and showed the video to him. That way he could have seen what he looks like when intoxicated. It really hits home when this happens, I've known a couple of people that have had this done to them, and they had no idea of how they looked to others at the time, and were quite ashamed.

It is very hard to deal with the Aboriginals out bush when substance abuse is a problem. "The book" doesn't really solve many problems. My brother is a police officer and got posted up there for a few weeks. A small group of youths started throwing rocks at his car, and the procedure was to use the car as a shield and try to calm them down. When this failed, he decided to return fire and started throwing rocks back himself. Amazingly, they immediately calmed down and he ended up making good friends with some of them. In a weird way, I think it made them realise he was just a human too.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
A small group of youths started throwing rocks at his car, and the procedure was to use the car as a shield and try to calm them down. When this failed, he decided to return fire and started throwing rocks back himself.

When I read that I thought 'good on him'! He could have just as easily returned fire with something a little more potent, or he could have come back later and arrested them, but instead he played the same game they were playing and he ended up earning their respect!

Very good effort I say, I hope to hear more of these types of stories coming out of the N.T. as people shift their way of thinking about the Aboriginal.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
A video of a drunk person may seem funny to some, but when you video a person who has lost their culture, their dignity and their hopes, it just shows how poorly we treat native people in this country.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

lol... paint sniffing? WTF .. seriously?

Oh and on topic.. to those who say "Native people" .. If your born several generations after colonialization, and your born in the middle of a city to boot...

your not "Native" .. you are a product of what ever country you happen to be born in.

[edit on 1/27/2009 by Rockpuck]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Oh and on topic.. to those who say "Native people" .. If your born several generations after colonialization, and your born in the middle of a city to boot...

your not "Native" .. you are a product of what ever country you happen to be born in.

[edit on 1/27/2009 by Rockpuck]

people are a product of their enviroment, people can be native to a country even 2 generations later because they are treated basically the same way as they where when first colonized.

The main difference is that now there is a token gesture to say we care and don't want what is left of you to loose your culture.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

I know you meant this innocently but in actual fact it is not a laughing matter. Because of the conditions that many Aboriginals have been forced to live in, with very little or no government financial support, many many Aboriginals have turned to rampant alcoholism, paint-sniffing and petrol-sniffing in order to dull the widespread depression and just generally get through the day. It is a disgrace that our government, up until now, has turned a blind eye and/or dealt with the problem heavy-handedly rather than seek out solutions that would help their plight rather than aggravate it.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   

[edit on 27-1-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
munkey66

people are a product of their enviroment, people can be native to a country even 2 generations later because they are treated basically the same way as they where when first colonized.

Might be treated that way .. because they sniff paint...

Kryties

I know you meant this innocently but in actual fact it is not a laughing matter.

I find it hilarious. Sniffing paint, of all things, to get high.

Because of the conditions that many Aboriginals have been forced to live in, with very little or no government financial support, many many Aboriginals have turned to rampant alcoholism, paint-sniffing and petrol-sniffing in order to dull the widespread depression and just generally get through the day.

OK, so you are saying two things.

1. That White Australians are FORCING .. physically forcing, aboriginal peoples to sniff paint, petrol and get drunk?

2. That because the Government is not handing out "financial support" they have to turn to ... sniffing paint and petrol?

And please, remember.. I do not live in Australia, I have never met an Aboriginal person that I know of, and I have nothing against these people..

But the picture painted is not pretty. Helpless, ignorant, dependent, paint sniffing beggars.

Your excuses for them .. do not help either.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

No offence mate, but you really do not have a clue about what life has been like for the Aboriginal people. Many of them are from what is called the The Stolen Generation...

The Stolen Generations (also Stolen generation and Stolen children) is a term used to describe those children of Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent who were removed from their families by the Australian and State government agencies and church missions, under acts of their respective parliaments. The removals occurred in the period between approximately 1869 and 1969, although, in some places, children were still being taken in the 1970s.

This was called the 'White Australia' policy and it affected, and still affects to this very day, the great majority of the remaining Aboriginal people. Our new Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, as one of his first acts as Prime Minister, recently said an official 'Sorry' to the Aboriginal people in what has become a momentous turn of events of Australian history.

These very same victims of the The Stolen Generation are generally the ones who are most at need of help both in terms of financially and in terms of initiating programs that will help to combat the rampant abuse of substances rather than just stick them in jail and lock the door.

Quite frankly I find the fact that you think their paint-sniffing is 'hilarious' to be extremely ignorant of the world outside your own window.

[edit on 27/1/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

These people are just persecuted for being who they are, unfortunately when people become desperate they will do anything to get high, paint is cheaper than drugs and some of the communities these people live in have an alcohol ban,
They had their children taken off them all the way through to the 70's because Aboriginals didn't know how to bring up their children according to the goverment, the children where put in Church run centres and usually subject to sexual and psychological abuse.

Now you tell me again why you think it is funny that these people sniff paint, petrol and when they can, drink themselves stupid.

Not all drink, smoke or get high, but they are usually those who have gone back to close to traditional way of life or adopted the white culture and basically forgo their heritage

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
with todays techology every law enforcement official should be documented through the use of video capturing technology while working

and these images should be reviewed by a civilian panel separate from law enforcement

in a way the law enforcement of law enforcement

its a way of checks and balances that should be implemented into the world

to many of these power hungry fools are abusing the rights given to them

we the people need to take that power back and put these people in their place

maybe with something more then internal affairs to face these power hungry idiots will think twice about doing what they should not by abusing the power we have trusted them with

and to all those who say its not possible because of money

shut up

we're spending millions billions and trillions of dollars on bailouts and cars and bs, yet we cant do it to ensure the safety of ourselves??

new topics

top topics

join