It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jellyfish appears to be immortal

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   

"There's no telling how many animals have gone extinct since man stepped foot on this Earth, but if we are to live forever on it, there will be no more animals, because we would eventually run out of food including meat, edible plants, then drinkable water." Human are more important than animals. One human being is worth the numerical totality of every other species on this planet. If animals and ecosystems perish so that Humans can have life, then so be it - No price in animal flesh or environment is too high that we cannot bring more humans to Life. The good earth will provide. (I've watched earth's population double twice since I was born - people such as yourself whined about the same things you whine about now, slandering their own species when they should be complimenting it.)

Yes.. but at the same time , you need oxygen to breath and animals to eat.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I really , really hope that Mankind doesn't experiment on these poor jellyfish for its own gains, I'd hate to love in a world where we all have to go through the awkward puberty and daft teenager years again.
Its bad enough now, what would it be like if we all reverted back to a baby again and then had to grow up?

Think of the implications for the future, No marriage would last 'till death do us part' - positive note ( you'd get bored with your current wife and know what to avoid next time)

All your debts would carry over - Negative note ( you'd never clear your debt and gain more over your concurrent lifetimes)

You'd have to learn everything again - postive note ( unless stemcell research allows your memory to improve and retain information)

Instead of funerals you would have 'rebirthings' - Negative note (you'd have to listen to your grandparents moaning about the war again and again and again.

Birthday's - Negative note ( birthdays would change all the time, you'd never be able to remember all the different dates.

Feel free to add more

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
not sure if people are being comical or serious, i hope comical as the close-mindedness if serious is truly sad

if we can understand how this truly works, in the scientific realm of todays capabilities, let alone tomorrow's capabilities, there is no reason we can not find a way to have this pertain to our own human species

and in all honesty

if i had to choose between dying and having sex, or living forever and only having sex with myself

i know for a fact i cant wait to get to know myself MUCH better every night from here to eternity

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by DJMessiah

I agree humans living forever is not a good idea for this planet. However an extended life span would be wonderful, even if it was by five to ten years. Life is too short and there are many who spend their lives accomplishing good here that never get to see the fruits of their labor.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

Also, the more modernized a society becomes, the more the birth rates drop - to the point were Canada, US and most of Europe have to rely on immigration in order to maintain the required population growth (ie. having young workers to replace pay for the retired ones - and pay taxes...)

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by A NeWorlDisorder
So I suppose all of the senile super Elite will be screaming to have their DNA spliced with these jellyfish in order to live forever so they can be close to their money...forever!

They already have a good head start...

They're spineless!

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DJMessiah

OK , so your saying if we become immortal that we would stop researching technology? No way...
of course we would find ways to artificially make food, and other things that we need. Technology does not stop to advance until it destroys its self
SO, as an example... If Albert Einstein were to become immortal he would stop to invent things? Or if Nikolai Tesla were to live for ever he would have invented the death ray! Just saying forever, is a VERY long time to think... we can solve All the problems in the world if we re animate the corpses of Albert an Nikolai... Don't know but humans are stupid so by the year 10k we will definitely kill each other using psychokinesis But of course there are also other life forms millions of light years away which probably will visit us with their technology... Which will be far superior to ours... Two choices !death! or inter planetary relations which would be so cool
and if we visit other planets we will either like what happened to African Americans and the Europeans or the Native Americans and the Europeans... Slavery, humans are horrible creatures which were probably let out of Pandora's box lol jk , (but we are horrible) but hey if you look at this way humans with immortality will get rid of one parasite
the fetus! Oh yeah also immortality would scare the **** out of religions i mean really... Its like taking away someone source of money, science will become the new religion and there will be no more religious tensions for they shall all be proven incorrect and everyone will know that there is no religion no more money to the churches lol... Am I right? Hopefully immortality does not pass the ethical stage, because i mean we should be able to live forever but if we get like a chunk of meat blown away we shouldnt be able to regenerate it, A body which stops aging at a certain age is all that is needed, Nothing more, Nothing less. Anyone wanna talk about this further into detail.... Darkcamalance@yahoo.com

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Interesting, I doubt this could be applied to humans, jellyfish living forever, seems to make some sense, the only other animal I've heard of that can 'live forever', is the crocodile or aligator, according to some animal expert they seem to live and grow forever.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
reply to post by Black_Fox

This is why I love ATS, discussing jellyfish turns into Highlander references

This is very interesting but I don't see how it will help humans. We aren't at all structured like jellyfish are we? This is just my perception, not sure if I'm correct...

[edit on 26-1-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

mmmm... no.

we're not "structured" like jellyfish.. we obviously don't have the exactly identical physiological shape.

but we share 13% of our DNA with freaking daffodils.

and the observations made in this thread are relevant to the point where the fact that this transition from a sexually developed stage BACK to a sexually undeveloped stage... can happen like a light switch going on and off..
helps us understand that we can augment this potentiality into our own genome within certain circumstances and methodologies within time..

we have pigs, rabbitts and monkeys that glow in the dark because they have been inserted with specific genes that auto-flourescent jelly fish had...
theres not an overarching "we're not structured liks so and so"" issue involved...
it's more of a...

we're all "DNA". end of story.

we can turn on and off any switch and combine any modification.

the "going in and out of sexual maturity" switch... isn't dependent upon whether we're "structured exactly to the tune of a floating water-mushroom.

-

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
When I was about 10 years old me and friend used to go to a small inlet beach,we used to catch jelly fish and stingrays we got 50 cents a piece for them,put a jelly fish in the sun for a while see how immortal they are

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Well I guess if you want to be an immortal jellyfish most of the human race is dumb ,greedy and apathetic enough to find the idea attractive .
But how evolved is a Jelly fish in the scheme of things ? not very .
There are a number of ways to cheat death with technology . Cloning is one way . But Clones are by definition a shadow from the past ,not part of an ongoing evolutionary process .
Cryogenic suspension is another option but you miss out a lot and end up being even further behind .
Getting old and decrepid is unfortunate , but its negative effects can be minimised by healthy diet and exercise .

There is another way to cheat death using gene therapy via nanotechnology . It takes very advanced technology and computing power but it can be and is done . But when does the physical body cease to be 'alive' and instead become a 'life' supporting system held together by liquid nanites ?

Immortality becomes a curse . Your body becomes an emotional torture chamber as everyone you love grows old and dies . So you fake your death to spare them the pain and keep your distance . You crave love and intimacy knowing the love that is given will eventually see you as a strange monster . You break hearts everywhere you go yet your wandering soul draws women to you like a moth to a flame . You are a mystery to them and women find your emotional distance a challenge to be overcome. They pity the loneliness in your soul .

Wherever you lay your hat becomes your home , and only those who share your curse can possibly understand .

Imagine being imprisoned for life .What would it be like if your were immortal in a mortal world ?

There is no past of future .Just the endless monotony of watching mortals make the same stupid mistakes over and over . Your wisdom is lost on them ,so you shake your head and turn away because youve seen the same lies repeated over and over because ironically those mortals who fear to live steal their childrens futures to postpone their own death .

You should live on through your children but many mortals rape them instead and the one great gift that mortals have been granted , to drive evolution , becomes a corrupted degenerate in breeding program.

When you collapse evolution through fear of death ,you collapse time and the fabric of life itself . Yet even now ,when the proof of this is staring humans in the face, they still cling to their precious greed driven religions and corrupt politicians .

Its 'easy' for an immortal to lead men in to combat when he has no fear of death . Thats what the mortals say , the ones who know and envy his secret. But its not . The only recourse for an immortal is memory capping when the endless horror brings his soul to madness . But eventually the memories bleed through and the only choice left is the lesser of two evils .

Only fools want to live forever .

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join