It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couldn't Feel Body

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
So last night I had an odd experience. A friend of mine told me he had a similar experience as well...

I was lying in bed after watching some T.V. and couldn't fall asleep. I was on the verge of an anxiety attack earlier. (I get them frequently). Now I'm staring at my ceiling and suddenly I can't feel my legs. They aren't numb but it simply feels like I have no legs. Then my arms, then my torso, then my head. It felt as if I wasn't part of my body anymore. I was still conscious but without a body. I know it was there because I had not left my bed.

It was really weird. Sorry if this is not the place but I've never had this happen to me before and thought I might get some insight here. My dad told me this happened to him when he was younger as well... But he also said other things in the past and it turned out I had diabetes

Thanks a lot in advance!

-Mitch

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Sounds like maybe you were almost having what people call an OBE or Astral Projection. Was there anything else that happened, like strange noise or feeling?

[edit on 26-1-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Nothing else happened that I remember. Just that strange feeling.

It never happened to me before so it was really shocking. My heart was beating really intensely that night though. That was the source of why I was feeling anxious.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by MitchMagic]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Is it possible it was a dream?

Perhaps you had a moment of awareness that separated your mind from your body? I had a similar experience in a Navaho sweat lodge. I felt as if my mind was 100% detached from the rest of my body and free to wander and explore.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Is it possible it was a dream?

Perhaps you had a moment of awareness that separated your mind from your body? I had a similar experience in a Navaho sweat lodge. I felt as if my mind was 100% detached from the rest of my body and free to wander and explore.

I very much doubt it. I can always distinguish a dream from when I'm awake. After it happened I got up and went to the bathroom...

What was your experience like. Did you actually wander around or did you stay in your position?

Mitch

[edit on 26-1-2009 by MitchMagic]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MitchMagic

It was 21 years ago, but I remember sort of floating about the room. I could sence other minds but not talk to them. It was a very pleasasnt experience as I recall. I pondered existance, and discovered my sprit guide (Desert mouse) But I was 17 and simply did not have the maturity to appreciate what I was experiencing. It was hypoxia induced looking back based on the amount of smoke and relativly low oxygen content in the lodge.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
yea you where about to have an oobe.

what was happening to you was the bodys own natural sleep mechanism. Where when you are totally relaxed and falling asleep your brain will shut down your body...so it is still and motionless and you cannot feel it. Usually starts from feet-head..

perfectly normal, next time go with it some more and dont freak out and you will have an oobe...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Sounds like a sleep paralysis attack. I used to get them quite frequently, both as I was falling asleep and as I was waking up.

Had one once in high school in the nurses office. Was laying there feeling pretty crummy trying to catch some shut-eye when I went to shift my body into another position but couldn't. My entire body went numb and I couldn't control anything but my left foot and my eyes. I tapped the file cabinet by my foot about 6 times before I got the nurses attention. Then I just snapped out of it and had a horrible horrible headache.

Back when I lived with my family I had my sister walk in on me while I was having an attack. My eyes were wide open and she thought I was awake. I watched her speak to me but couldn't hear a word she said. Only way I could respond was by breathing out my mouth as hard as I could to produce some kind of sound. Soon after I snapped out of it.

Hope I helped in some way.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ATSGUY
yea you where about to have an oobe.

what was happening to you was the bodys own natural sleep mechanism. Where when you are totally relaxed and falling asleep your brain will shut down your body...so it is still and motionless and you cannot feel it. Usually starts from feet-head..

perfectly normal, next time go with it some more and dont freak out and you will have an oobe...

This guys has it right. Once you sit still for a long time and in a fairly dark room, your mind thinks your body is falling asleep so it releases a chemical called melatonin. This paralyzes your body so you don't act out your dreams.

Although I would refer to it more as a Etheric projection instead of an Astral. Your conscious mind was simply leaving your physical body and entering your Etheric body.

Congratulation, I'm working on having a similar experience. So you could consider yourself luck.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by SeeingBlue]

top topics

join