It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The worst survival firearms.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

Ma Deuce will never be the worst of anything.

ANYTHING

Rohm Revolvers

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
To The worst survival firearms:
In my humble opinion, in a survival situation... even the worst firearm would be better than no firearm at all.

I would rather be caught off guard with am AR-15 than just me and my biceps. The AR's don't like to eat dust and dirt well due to the lower receiver design, and nor do I.

Thats my O2 at least,
T-minus

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

OK that's got my vote. Yikes not in a million years. I pride myself in the fact that I will shoot any thing. Now I have to change that to almost any thing.

reply to post by telemetry

I agree some thing is better then nothing how ever having a fire arm tends to make people a little braver then they would be other wise and if its the wrong tool making you brave then bravery can make you dead which is the direct opposite of survival.

reply to post by OmegaLogos

You get my second vote. great call I was about rolling on the floor because of the ridiculousness of that weapon. Thanks for the laughs.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

As a worst fire arm for survival, I'd rate any compact semi-auto pistol or revolver no matter what the caliber.

Give me the .45 ACP over the Gimp-9 or the .40 SWA, any day of the week as a survival round. It can be easily adapt to fire in a number of revolvers with moon clips. I've taken both deer and eating sized wild boar(under 200 lbs) with the .45 ACP from a pistol at distances of about 50 yards. The deer took a single round to drop and the boar required a second shot after it staggered about 10 feet. You might kill a deer at 25 yards with a 9mm but unless you want to crawl through the underbrush after you wound the boar to finish it off, I wouldn't attempt it past 10 yards. It will be wounded and angry and from personal experience, wild boar are the only creatures that I've ever seen that you can truly see hatred in their eyes.

One of my uncle's has a Marlin Camp .45 ACP Carbine with a 4x compact scope on it. I've seen him hit 2lb coffee cans at 200 yards with it. That's about 4-5 inches wide maybe 8-9 inches tall. When the RA during WWII developed the DeLisle suppressed bolt action carbine, it was chambered in .45 ACP for its superior stopping power and better long range accuracy over the 9mm Para.

Someone had mentioned the .25 ACP as useless but I've fired at target pistol chambered in it that had a 5 inch barrel and I wouldn't want to be on the business end of that round fired at any distance under 50 yards. I've also seen an semi-auto rifle converted to fire the .25 ACP and it is at least the equal of the .22WMR in power when fired from a 16 inch barrel. The .25 ACP has been hampered but the guns they chambered it in. And like the .22 Short Rimfire, it will kill at short range with good shot placement. If it bounced of a tin can, my guess is that the shooter likely bounced a bullet into the can. Most of the .25 ACP pistols I've fired have horrible ergonomics which will cause the average shooter to shoot a foot low at distances as short as 10 yards. They are strictly hide out weapons of last resort.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
anything in 22 short;
about 10 years ago, I working working as an ER doc in a rural ER when the charge nurse told me a cop was coming in after having been shot in the forehead. We immediately went into trauma prep mode, expecting massive bleeding, need for intubation, bp stabilization, need to minimal cerebral edema, etc etc.
To our shock, He, the cop, walked in and sat down on the exam table. He had a 22 short bullet lodged in his forehead right between his eyes. I took a pair of forceps and pulled it out. There was some bleeding, typical of all head and face wounds, and he required a couple of sutures. The cop thanked me, and got up and walked out.
I'll never forget that. The cop told me that he had been shot from about three feet away, point blank range, and immediately felt a splitting headache and thought he may have been dead, not knowing what he had been shot with.
Yes, i know about all the stories of deer being taken with 22 long rifle, etc., but this case shows that to be sure of your results, one wants a heavier caliber WTSHTF.
wardoc

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
What about a .22 revolver and a claymore?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Armalite AR7, after firing two boxed of ammo they go full auto.
have that happen if you are shooting at a police range if you want funny looks.

will not reliably fire subsonic ammo unless you change out the recoil springs

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
reply to
post by telemetry

I agree some thing is better then nothing how ever having a fire arm tends to make people a little braver then they would be other wise and if its the wrong tool making you brave then bravery can make you dead which is the direct opposite of survival.

I get what you are saying there, as a firearm does provide a false sense of security to the operator, and in fact alot of tools could fall under that same idea. Interesting notion you got me on.

It would all come down the person I guess... I mean individual A wouldn't try to depend on that lowly rimfire .22 to kill a deer for eats. Even worse would be depending on that as a primary means of defense and food procurement. Individual B on the other hand might try to kill something smaller like a rabbit or something, just to get some food in the stomach... but overlooking the simple things that would be plenty nourishing and readily available. Some would use it as a last resort only...

In that case, who would be better off?

Thanks for making me expand my mind a little.

Back on topic:
I still vote for that AR
Downsides are the dirt issue, and being a black gun draws too much attention for me.
Most non savvy rambo's get one and instantly think they are gonna survive just on the looks alone. Get meh drift?
but the upside is the caliber...

Carry on,
T-

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I would say the worst type of firearm in a survival situation would have to be a replica, espcially those one with the flag that pops up saying BANG!

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

On the topic of revolvers, I favor them. I would take one over a auto anyday... reason being, when I pull the trigger I want to hear boom. If no boom, then pull again. No silly changing mags etc.

Neh,
I'll pass on the claymore, but I'll take the .22 revolver if you got one you want to get rid of

The old H&R .22 I have has served well, and it always makes people laugh when I put on the old leather belt and holster... looking like John Wayne or something. Good camo indeed.

Cheers,
T-

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jkd Up
What about a .22 revolver and a claymore?

I think that depends on which one you plan on firing first

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   

I don't really know if they are any worse than your guns, but...

I have only two. "This is for Fighting and this is for Fun."

Okay, actually they are not bad, just mediocre. Average caliber, average velocity, average rate of fire.

So how many Survival Guns do you have? Let's talk about GUNS! I think we should really grab our guns and start shoothing when the ACLU hits the streets, don't you?

I hate those hippie pinko commies trying to grab our guns away from us.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Etsivä Romppainen

Your new so I will over look the fact that there are other threads to talk about peoples personal fire arms. This thread is just a fun little thread to discuss what people consider the worst Survival Firearms. Kindly stay on topic please.

Also you really may want to check the TOS on weather you should have that link in your sig this early on. They have a very specific set of rules about that.
Just saying

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I gots something like that.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
the Liberator. single shot .45 ACP, smoothbore barrel, takes longer to reload than to assemble. Not much going for this one

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Potatoe cannon/spud gun. fun to watch especially at night, not to accurate but you can eat the ammo.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Had to dig up one I had laying around.... from my own personal collection of worthless shooters, here ya go:

Gnarly little pepperbox, 4x .177 cal. bb's/black powder/percussion cap is the method. I actually shot it once.... smoked like hell and made a loud bang. I never hit the target I was aiming for. It's more or less a conversation piece now, utterly worthless in the real world.

Here is another pic.
It's a little guy. Perfect boot gun methinks, if the noise wouldn't frighten the perp away, at least you could escape in the smoke screen. heh...

(Cigarette shown for size comparison)

Cheers,
T-

[dang tiny pic links]

[edit on 09/2/3 by telemetry]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join