It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The worst survival firearms.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I just want to have a little fun with this thread. We always go on about the best firearm for survival and the best caliber lets go the opposite direction in this one and give examples of the worst.

Browning M2.50 Caliber Machine Gun

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Never try anything with this:
Mossberg Brownie Pepperbox .22 4 barrel

Despite it's size and age the one I used still works after all of these years. The trigger pull is at least 20 lbs and you have to use a knife or something to pry the spent casings out of the barrels. I found it to be nicely accurate.

Tiny thing

Don't bother with this one unless you happen to be a collector of failed firearms.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Antique Derringer?, you know one that can only fire once before it needs reloading and is built in the ancient way as to make it more lethal to its owner than the person they are aiming it at?

link   
I would suggest either the Potato Gun or the Orange Cannon

link   
reply to post by angryamerican

Wasnt there some horrible french weapon in WW2 that had an open magazine?
Imagine being in the trenches filled with mud and muck with a weapon with an open magazine!?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Okay, I'll bite.
Right off the top of my head, I'll go with the whole Uzi/ Mac-10/Tec-9 group of firearms.
Rate of fire at about a quadrillion rounds/sec.
Renowned for their accuracy.
The tremendous stopping power of the 9mm round.

P.S. I know there are thousands of variances to this large group, but I'm stereotyping the 9mm machine pistol type.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
The only guns that I can think of offhand that are almost all junk are Lorcins. Most of them are jam-o-matics. They would make great cache items though because they're cheap, and in a tight spot, any gun is better than no gun obviously.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
desert eagle 50ae yes it use large size rounds but ammo would be very hard to come by you are better off with a 45 or a 44 mag if you need heavy stopping power. same can be said ow 454 casull or sw 500 ammo would be to scarce and cost prohibited.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles

Wasnt there some horrible french weapon in WW2 that had an open magazine?
Imagine being in the trenches filled with mud and muck with a weapon with an open magazine!?
I think you might be referring to the Chauchat.

Not a one liner. LOL

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
The early versions of the Charter arms AR7 they were built in such poor quality they were a liability.

The .45 ACP round operated range of hand guns. Fine for combat and breaking up billiard balls but no good for survivalists. 40 calibre and 9 mm are much more user friendly for civilians using guns for self defence and hunting in stressful survival situations.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
My vote would be the Remington 522 Viper. Plastic clips, open sights lol.

Second line, it looks stupid too.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Got to admit I do like the Steyr scout rifle in 5.56 as developed by that famous American chap, its nicely thought out for civilians in high stress environments.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Yeah, the .577 T-Rex ranks right up there...

Vid has been posted before, but it never gets old

.577 T-Rex Recoil Video

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Yeah, it was French and it was their attempt to get a light machine gun for the troops in the trenches that was light enough to be carried by a soldier and his assistant.
It never made into production for the WWI but came out just after.
The open magazine was directly underneath the barrel/Bolt Carrier Assembly, perfect for on a concrete platform, sht for the trenches...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Hah,
I don't think so lernmore. That might be the most useful one yet on this thread. Plus you don't need a silencer.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation: It seems the bigger the gun and caliber the more it sux in a SHTF survival situation! Therefore I would like to recommend the M-388 Davy Crockett (a tactical nuclear recoilless rifle and projectile) as the biggest man portable poser in the survival stakes!

Personal Disclosure: But thats not to say I wouldn't want one in my arms cache!
Sometimes you just need a Strategic weapon and not a Tactical one, RE:- zombie and alien invasion comes to mind!

Edited to say I Starred and Flagged the OP.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Anything chambered in .25 auto. Useless, just simply useless.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   

post by angryamerican

Anything chambered in .25 auto. Useless, just simply useless.

Yes, I've seen those rounds bounce off a tin can. Plus the weapons that fire .25 are so small, that a normal person cannot wield them properly.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Make your one shot count with this one..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join