It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fascinated lurker, now signed up.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Hello. I've been lurking for weeks and have finally taken the plunge to sign up.

Born in 1960, I grew up to the backdrop of technological advances in science, and have always found computers, aviation and space-exploration to be obsessively interesting. Having the misfortune of an education at a good but strictly religous (Christian) school, my adoption of science as the closest concept I had to a faith system often put me at odds with the Bible thumpers who ran the place.

I am old enough to have proudly watched the Apollo lunar landings live, and even bunked off school to watch the wonderful TV coverage in awe. As I grew older I realised that whilst science was about the future, history was just as important, interesting and compelling. It seemed to provide me with the antidote to just being a "techie", sort of ying and yang.

In my lifetime I have witnessed the realisation of science-fiction into fact. Mobile phones, CD/DVD, Microchips, Cloning, MRI scans, GPS, etc. Yet for all our technical prowess as a species some of the most fascinating unanswered questions lay far back in the past. Enigmatic mysteries with experts and cranks all giving their pet theories but neither side ever seeming to land that decisive knockout blow.

Even the present has its mysteries and incosistencies, all with more questions than answers. A world awash with people who don't believe without questioning is good, but the endless conspiracy theories that have spawned are bewildering and often just bizarre. Seeking the truth can sometimes be a punishing experience but is always worthwhile.

Hence I am here, the most interesting discussion forum on the web where I hope to be enlightened, educated and entertained. On top of that, hopefully just occasionally I may have something pertinent to contribute.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Welcome! I am glad you're a part of the family. Sounds like you're going to fit right in. Although, that might not be a good thing. Ha

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Hello and welcome!
You will fit right in I am sure. Happy posting!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by XB-70

Welcome!

You're just a tad older than me.
I got to be Armstrong when us kids re-enacted the moon landing in our living room. Tying pillows to my feet with belts was an awesome way to simulate low gravity. LOL

Really great intro BTW.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Hello. It's always nice to welcome another young person to our family.

I remember a time before there was a television in every home. And...at 11pm the national anthem was played and the TV was off until morning.

Never let anyone say I said those were the good old days. I like this time in my life better than any other.

Yes, you will fit in nicely.

Enjoy.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
what an Epic Welcome note. ...althogh I gotta be honest with you it could have used a little more explosions.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS! Hope you enjoy your stay.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Greetings to you...I'm a former lurker who just registered as well! Great site and I love the forums

new topics

top topics

join