It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikipedia may change over death hoaxes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Wikipedia may change over death hoaxes

news.ninemsn.com.au

"Wikipedia is considering tightening its rules on who can edit the online encyclopedia "

"Wikipedia's founder, Jimmy Wales, proposed the change."

"The proposal, which was approved would not allow first-time or anonymous users to make instant edits but would require that they be approved first..."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story .line from your source.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Wikpedia sold itself as allowing anyone with an Internet connection to contribute or edit content. That was great marketing ploy to get in users to this 'trusted' site.

Now they've achieved 6 million viewers a day, they will control information dissemination.
Not that Wikpedia was a reliable source, but now when editing control is taken from the users we will see lots of history re writes that no one can re-edit and in time they will be viewed by the general populace as 'fact'

Another way to pass false information to the minions....

news.ninemsn.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story .line from your source.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

The opposite also is true, there is a lot of false information on Wikipedia and not monitoring who contributes creates a dangerous situation for both libel and user censorship. More dangerously, it's the verification tool of choice in many news agencies, I know this from experience, and it will get much worse as the industry dumps veterans in favor of younger, cheaper labor that have no news gathering skills beyond the Internet. Sorry, but Wikipedia is BS!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

I think Wikpedia is mildly OK but mostly evil, I dont agree anyone can use it to place informaiton however, my point is that 6 million people a day have been duped into using this product as a source on information and now that they use it, the premise under which they used it is gone and they will be offered whatever the puppet masters want to feed them.

The importance of this cant be underestimated, 6 million a day!!!
Most people look to easy options like mainstream media and wikpedia for their informaiton and news. They have been hooked in, and now they cant start feeding them whatever they want about anything.

More dumbing down of the masses.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

What is worse is that the news media is fully and openly participating in this "dumbing" process. The paper I worked for basically dumped news coverage in favor pointless opinion columns and blogs which have no place in a newpaper. Hate to say this but your average newsroom employee is no smarter than the average person who believes everything they see on the Net, and a lot of them are not capable of distinguishing how accurate the info is they are repeating.
Sad to say but most news workers I know do not read their own papers anymore and many read none at all.
The fact that Wikipedia has that many readers really concerns me as well. This was a good post you chose, I hope others read it as well.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

The Media are now the storm troopers of the evil empire. I have great friend who is a terrific writer and a well known journo in her country, I just finished reading an email from her where she said that basically everyone she knows has lost their job if they are investigative or freelance reporters. She's reporting on gardening because its a safe topic and people still want to read it. Another friend was a top correspondent from Moscow and now the Middle East and she says she has lost a lot of gigs to pretty faces in flack jackets and blue screens or even to Joe the Plumber. The media now provide ENTERTAINMENT, not news.... Wikpedia will provide works of fiction to 6 million readers.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I don't find Wikipedia all that bad. Then again I use it for pretty general information. I'm not sitting here trying to wiki information about Gaza/Israel issues.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

I use it myself for general stuff like 'when was Mickey Mouse born'.
'Spose I'm a little concerned that what we get off Wikpedia will ALL become 'General stuff'. Other than dates of birth, what info will be accurate? what will the controls be? So many people place it in higher regard than us, they will believe whatever is loaded.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by zazzafrazz]

new topics

top topics

join