It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bloody Monday: Over 71,400 jobs lost

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by KonigKaos
The voting of most of the clows into offices of power is really the peoples fault, who blindly vote straight down there party lines and refuse to look at the facts and qualifications of who they are electing.

I don't think the mess we are in is the common man's fault at all. The educational system and TV, are bought and paid for by government and the corporations, and they are used to misinform and divide people. People are purposely not getting a good education.

None of this mess, the economy, or the wars are my fault. I didn't have a vote in any of it, and our so called "representatives" don't vote based on the will of the people, they vote based on who bribes them.

The economic problem is the fault of elitist globalists, most likely rich banking families that go back to European nobility who have created the central banks and bought US government policy and have waged a campaign of fear upon the common man.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Corporations are the ones putting their people in politics, so how you figure they are going to react to 'remove all corporate ties in politics'. It's not going to happen in Corporatocracy.

Sad thing is, loads of corporations also use this 'excuse' to lay off people they wanted to get rid of for a long time.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Guys i'm glad to see people are catching on to what is going on in our econemy but let's save the lable (bloody) before any day of the week until we atleast even come in sight of hitting the tip of the ice berg.

It's gonna happen but anyone who thinks we are even 10% of the way to where our country is heading better look again.

I'm in the midst of loosing my job due to this and honestly i'm not worrieing about ifi will next week but how far behind i'll be when the chaos breaks out.

I guess on the bright side i'll be more prepared and less shocked.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Sorry, I just thought this was funny to point out.

What does MSN.com have to report on monday's unemployment drop?

Nothing.. except that McDonalds is opening 1000 more stores.

ATS FTW

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
See my comments in Italics below...

Originally posted by daddyroo45
Look,we have to stop playing their game.The people we vote into office consider us buffoons.Tax money tax money tax money; that's what they thrive on. They have to stay up late at night trying to contrive new and different ways to spend it. We have to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.Cut the tax money!!

Drive less= less fuel tax
Here in OR, they want to tax us on how many miles we drive to work and back. Their reason? Because there are alot more green cars on the roads now and the taxes are shrinking. LOL go figure!

Buy less= less sales tax,less excise tax,etc.
There is no sales tax here...yet and we've buried it multiple times, I lost count after 6x already, with a resounding NO! but, our state taxes are among the highest in the nation. The real problem is, taxes are just a bandaid, till the economy re-opens the gaping wound and it begins to hemorrhage...kinda like it is now.

Work for hire less= less income tax
Only problem with this is, living expenses are such that ppl need to live and try and stay on top of it all without using credit. The only way to do this is either live off the grid or get a higher paying job...and we all know where we are with this now.

Barter and trade for goods and service.Hard to tax,hard to even trace.
I'm not sure in this age, it can be effectively done.

Personally, it's coming down to where none of us will be able to buy sell or trade without some sort of new tracking system and people will gladly clamber to whatever TPTB offer to save their lifestyle. As the book reads, to a bitter soul, everything is sweet.

These so called civil servants are hard core criminals Imo.They have taxed and spent us into slavery to the system.
Stop playing their game!! Every little bit helps!!!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

I'm totally 100% in your corner on this! Our current CEO makes 2mill a year, and in a economy that is in a flat spin and about 8,000 ft from the ground, that just does NOT compute. Yes, the directors and upper management did get a raise as neither did the rest of us, but, I didn't see him cut his own pay. When I do, I'll log it for remembrance!

and most companies wonder why they're not making a profit????

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Great video was planted a few posts ago, what a great find about the coming Economic crash and "Revolution" lets see if this comes to light. His Jan 26, 2009 remark fits well with the massive layoffs and jobcuts that started this thread.

McDonalds its good to see they are doing well and creating jobs. But McDonalds causes problems in itself, as I dont not go there and hopefully never will again. But thats a different subject, as far as job creation they are golden.

To who mentioned there should be a cap on what the CEOs of companies make, I would have to agree with that ranking in Millions are year, Private Jets, Lavish Parties while there workers struggle and blow there brains out its pathetic.

Heres an example of the growing jobloss section of people

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
71.000 jobs is just the tip of the iceberg. Microsoft alone laid off 5,000 last week. This recession is going to become a depression, no doubt about it. And it's becoming world-wide.

The cause of this is what Alan Greenspan called "overexuberance" on Wall Street (read pure greed) and the increasing deregulation of the markets, which has been going on since Reagan and reached its peak under Bush. There are no longer any curbs on big business and the financial sector at all. They can do anything they want, and they have. Insofar as the Democrats went along with what was happening they're responsible, though they have historically advocated some regulation, and are calling for it now.

Many economists advise us that the way for the average consumer to battle this depression is, as far as possible, to keep on spending. During the Great Depression of the 1930's people stopped buying things and hoarded what little money they could, which, because money was not circulating, made the depression worse, which led to more layoffs and more panic, etc.

This is the advice we've been hearing from the Wall Street Republicans and many Democrats. The small government Republicans in Congress want to stop spending altogether and are voting against any stimulus measures.

My job is not a high-paying one, relatively speaking, but it is pretty secure, so I can depend on some income at least during this crisis. I have no credit cards and have been living as modestly as I can for some time.

I hear what the economists are saying but my gut reaction is to keep saving as much as I can, so I'm not sure I'll even be taking my own advice.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I say we vote everyone out of their position. We can do that you know. What we need are people running this country who actually know what it's like to work for a living. Then they can make an Amendment, which is the correct way of changing a Constitutional law, crushing the banking system which has raped us for so long. That's a start at least.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
This is a little off topic, but well, it's almost laughable....

drug money was used to keep the banks afloat??

VIENNA: The United Nations' crime and drug watchdog has indications that money made in illicit drug trade has been used to keep banks afloat in the global financial crisis, its head was quoted as saying on Sunday.

Vienna-based UNODC Executive Director Antonio Maria Costa said in an interview released by Austrian weekly Profil that drug money often became the only available capital when the crisis spiralled out of control last year.

"In many instances, drug money is currently the only liquid investment capital," Costa was quoted as saying by Profil. "In the second half of 2008, liquidity was the banking system's main problem and hence liquid capital became an important factor."

www.iht.com...

ya, I think things are bad when the only money flowing through the system is coming from black market drug trades!!

oh, but ya, that's right....

the answer to all our problems is.....
more birth control to the poor!
ya!
and other stupid, meaningless, items that are more than likely over 50% of that stimulus package they are insisting needs to passed quickly to save us all...

life has gotten to be just too much of a barrel of laughs! I want to just crawl into a hole till the insanity stops!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Re CEO salaries...I got to thinking...as a kid I can remember learning about the Great Depression image of the bankers and Wall Street guys leaping from windows to their death. What a twist now...they're laughing all the way to the bank, with their exorbitant salaries. And it's employees who are killing/committing suicide, so distraught over lay offs.

Re drugs in the economy. Hey, it's what kept the economy floating along in the 1980's, when Reagan oversaw the reining in of inflation by increasing unemployment. I never saw so many luxury car dealers spring up and so many houses being paid for in cash. The infusion of drug money into the system kept many families from going under back then, or allowed them to continue to afford a few of the latest technologies (for back then) like a vcr.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by willzilla
I say we vote everyone out of their position. We can do that you know. What we need are people running this country who actually know what it's like to work for a living. Then they can make an Amendment, which is the correct way of changing a Constitutional law, crushing the banking system which has raped us for so long. That's a start at least.

The first part yes, but we don't need an Amendment. JFK signed an executive order for the Treasury to start making our own money just a couple of weeks before he was killed. It still stands today.
If we do an Amendment work, it would be to recind the 16th. It was never properly ratified anyway. Besides, it is initself unconstitutional.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeeingBlue
McDonalds is opening 1000 more stores.

Well at least some of us might be able to score a job at McDonalds

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
The only way to trade the stock markets successfully is for one's intuition to guestimate the next move of the author.

The 'Conductor', Arthur Anonymous, is at the helm of the symphony.....while with a mischievious grin on his mug, pauses while the 'fellows' await in desperation for the way of his wand.

With all the heat in the band, the instruments are getting swapped with sweat and tears of gratitude for a getting a 'peak' at the table of contents.

The music was terrible; not a note made sense. The crowd grew irritable and began to make a scene.

It took all day for the media to edit the performance for public use.

The Fellows got together after the performance for a review.

They began to wonder if their Boss had the same thing in mind for 'their' children's children.

Something began to echo in their minds:

"You all are on a Need to know basis and the list is past full."

Carry on. Back to work. You have Bills to pay.

The dreaded alarm brings forth a New day?

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
We must restore tariffs and withdraw from all of these unfair trade agreements!

Excellent! Just like Hoover did it with Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act witch triggered global trade wars and Great Depression
. And USA in 2009 is not a shape of USA in 1930s.

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
The US is in urgent need of it's manufacturing base creating value from real assets and selling them on the open market. Unlike many nations we are fully capable of prospering without the aid of other countries.

With imposing tariffs USA would die quickly as there is no manufacturing base.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by cindy22761

Thanks Cindy, a maximum wage, now that would be interesting. It seems that these modern corporate crooks, er executives, have more ways to steal, er compensate themselves, than government could keep track of. I think taxes should be paid in ratio to the wealth owned, because essentially the government's main job is protecting property rights, so people should pay taxes in proportion to the wealth they have obtained. The top 1% own around 50% of the wealth in the U.S., so they should be paying 50% of the nations taxes.

I think it is really obscene that these giant corporations can buy up a small company, shut it down, cheat the people who made the company successful, the workers, out of the wealth that the workers created. Often this theft is done purely on credit. This is what happens in these leveraged buy outs. The technology developed by the workers in the company is taken, and moved overseas where they can pay the workers slave wages. Of course this leads to our current crisis, because people earning slave wages can't afford to buy the goods that they produce, so in order for the markets to continue to function, the goods produced in third world countries have to be shipped to first world countries where the people make enough money to buy those goods. As the jobs are shipped away, the loss of wages is replaced by debt to keep up the demand side of the formula, until the system crashes, as it currently is. People who earn slave wages, or do not have jobs, or money, can't buy stuff, so demand drops below productivity, goods stop selling, the surplus of goods causes a slow down in production, which leads to further job losses, which drops consumer demand even further, and the cycle continues. This is the nature course of no holds barred capitalism.

It has been this way since the industrial revolution created these giant corporate entities which people can hide behind to committ their misdeeds. It takes a great deal of wealth for mass production, so these giant corporations are created. What I see happening however, is that with automation and the internet, and eventually alternative energy sources, mass production will be possible with a small business, and the need for giant corporations will slowly fade away. I think this is the way into a bright new future.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Vojvoda

The great depression was already in full free fall by the time Smoot Hawley was passed in June 0f 1930, let alone before it could be enacted and begin to fully take effect. The Great Depression bottomed out around the beginning of 1932, by which time Smoot Hawley would have just began to have its effect.

The Great Depression was a result of government not taking action, instead of government getting too much involved.

econ161.berkeley.edu...

The Federal Reserve thought it knew what it was doing: it was letting the private sector handle the Depression in its own fashion. It saw the private sector's task as the "liquidation" of the American economy. And it feared that expansionary monetary policy would impede the necessary private-sector process of readjustment.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I saw this whole thing coming over 10 years ago when manufacturing jobs were being outsourced and all that was being sold to Americans was crap made in China. Well it finally caught up! I'm kinda surprised it took this long. We lost too many jobs while the population keeps growing...there haven't been enough jobs to support the population for quite some time. And the cost of living just continued to inflate. And nobody saw this coming!

And the people that lost all their money in all those get rich quick ponzi schemes. Just being greedy if you ask me. I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for you...if you wanted to make money you should have invested it yourself in short term buy and sell and on a much smaller scale but you wanted to make the big bucks without much effort.

The only way to avoid this economic crisis would have been to cut out all the imports forget tariffs and keep our jobs here and to have come up with alternative energy solutions while creating more jobs to keep up with population growth...but that would be in the perfect world not a capitalist world of greed that we live in now.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
www.foxbusiness.com...

This is an Update this time Boeing Slashing 10,000 jobs, putting a strain on the already horribly weakend economy and hard to find jobs!

When is this gonna stop!

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
expect to see more of this in the coming years. people are going to be left by the roadside as we get closer to the end.

...and it's the people on the roadside who will be the solution, the new people-driven economy.

Listen everyone! your government has patently failed you, it's failed us all. We have to start building our new economy from scratch, and this time we wont need money lenders. We work for each other, we trade with our friends to get the goods and services we need.

We start with barter, we can exchange tokens, receipts, just like the "old" money worked, but the capital we build will be from the credit from us all working for each other, rather than being based on being in debt to a moneylender.

It's amazing how much wealthier a community can get if none of its members are charged interest.

It really works, now is the time.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join