It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bloody Monday: Over 71,400 jobs lost

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
At this time ,we are told there is NOT enough food in the world to feed the entire population,the fish stocks have reduced drastically. We are living in times whereas the POOR of the world is NOW growing, and we/us ? are joining the queue.
Whatever we earn we pay taxes , whether its direct or indirect, this money is used by those in control to use as they see fit, much of it is WASTED. Its nice to have all the latest gadgets, but is it that important to buy these goods to keep people in jobs so that even more is wasted?
In these times of hardship all over the world,our priorities have changed , rather than overtaking the jones, or keeping up with the jones, we should just be ourselves, not what we want to be or do above all else,
Maybe i am dreaming, wanting utopia, the end times COULD be near, we can make it happen, Love thy neighbour as thyself ,ARE WORDS, but we, me and you by ACTION can make it happen,its not easy,life never is,making small steps help.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
This is what happens folks when all you out there voted for GWB not once but twice.

The moron couldn't run the two companies his daddy gave him and yet people actually voted for this arrogant rich sob not once but twice.

Mindless sheep that will believe anything that Fox / CNN tells them.

Now everyone is expect Barack Obama to clean up this idiot's mess he left.

Well to every person out there that voted Republican for eight years and has lost their job, it's your own ignorant party prejudice fault.

What is happening now is the result of the American People voting stupidly eight years ago.

Republicans for the most part are "corporate yes men" they do what the large companies tell them and their agenda is profit at the expense of the common man.

We now have a country where Mexicans, Indians and soon the Chinese will have all our jobs and the middle class is a endangered species.

This is what happens when people do not do their research before voting.

Yes we have Obama, maybe some folks have woken up but it's a little late.

This is what happens when the people hand over all their power to the corporations.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Now there is an idea...

A Wage Tariff...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

You are most correct in your previous post,

This is indeed a war. The elite versus the people.

They haven't orchestrated this "global financial crisis" for fun...

Each and every person that voted for George W. Bush Jr., George Bush Senior and yes even Ronald Regan brought this upon themselves and the rest of us.

Republicans are notoriously Corporate Men that owe their allegance not to the American People but to the many corporations that funded their campaigns (Obama refused corporate funding).

What is happening now I saw coming eight years ago when people voted in a moron that couldn't even run and keep afloat the two companies his daddy bought him.

Now everyone is going to expect Obama to clean up the Republican's messes they have left all over.

You are right it is the elite rich against the rest of us and American's better get ready, this is just the beginning. The middle class is being done away with.

Pretty soon most of us will be living like the rest of the world, in rabbit hutches, working our arses off and barely making enough to feed ourselves.

The American People brought this all upon themselves and maybe they have learned their lesson but it's a little late and will they remember the next time they go to vote. They keep going back to voting Republican and Republicans have a track record of screwing over the common working man.

the trickle down theory does not work. What is happening now is proof.

Will American's remember in four, eight twelve years what is happening now is the cumulation of Republican Rule.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

I always wondered what our "law makers" were thinking when factories were exported to the third world... No regulations, no labor laws, no nothing and then those same traitors export their products back to America.

What we need to do is impose laws or tariffs as you say on companies that import products into the US. Laws that are equal to our own like a minimum wage equal to ours and environmental laws like our own.

It seems to me the government and corporate America are equally to blame for the loss of manufacturing here in this country.

We did it right while the rest of the world was stuck in monarchy or dictatorships and then the greed took over. They couch it as free trade but for who? Those that do the work aren't paid enough to live a decent life and then we buy those products and screw our fellow countrymen out of work and to top it off we are building China's Military by going to Walmart...

[edit on 27-1-2009 by northof8]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

You are mistaken if you think this is a one party issue. This is a two party economic disaster. Barney Prankster was the one who opened the flood gates to give everyone a loan even if they couldn't afford it and that has had a huge impact on the current crisis..

The democrats are no better darlin'... They enable welfare and perpetuate the idea that you don't need to work hard to get ahead. The Republicans provide corporate welfare and say that once you get to the top you don't need to be loyal to your country.

This is a two party "cluster f***" and to say anything different is propaganda..

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by KonigKaos
money.cnn.com...

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The final week of January began with a bloodbath for the job market, as over 71,400 more cuts were announced on Monday alone.

More than 200,000 job cuts have been announced so far this year, according to company reports. Nearly 2.6 million jobs were lost over 2008, the highest yearly job-loss total since 1945.

This is horrible news to the already battered US Economy and heavily over burdened US Tax Payer. I myself have been out of work since Nov 1 2008

who else is being effected by the Economic Turmoil, your thoughts on the bailouts, Stimulus, and possible US Federal collapse of 2009 and anything you have to add would be grateful.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by KonigKaos]

Actually I think it only translates into about 31,000 jobs in the USA. That was according to NBC news last night. The 71,000 figure is for jobs worldwide. Take Catapiller for example, it has 500 facilities worldwide but only 135 are in the USA. ING is a dutch bank. Pfizer

Pfizer also announced a new cost-cutting initiative that will include the elimination of 10 percent of its worldwide work force of 81,900. The two companies employ more than 129,000 people worldwide. The cost-cutting involves eliminating five of Pfizer's 46 manufacturing sites and combining similar business units.
Almost all these cuts are worldwide. This isnt a localized USA problem. As for the guy saying there may be a rebound in the second quarter, I find this very possible. All of these companies are cutting massive amounts of jobs and they are cutting them fast. Eventually there will be a bottoming out of job losses (probably by the second quarter) so the likelyhood of a reversal and job gains in possible by then. Also there will be no federal collapse in 2009. It is going to be a rough year but the US will get through it. So all you people who keep stating this is the end of the USA and it will never get out of this, you all better hope you are wrong, because this is a global problem. In fact I wouldnt be suprised to see the US bounce out of the recession first. I am sure if this site was around in the early 80's most of the doom and gloomers would be saying the same thing. End of the US.. blah blah blah.....

[edit on 27-1-2009 by tide88]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

agree, except i would call it what it a "pay to play fee"..if your company wants the opportunity to sell its products in the best market in the world you must pay to have access to it.. reasonable expectation not a penalty done all the time.

fair trade is bs spin created by large muliti nationals the sell cheap commodities.. we give you access to a multi trillion dollar market you give us access to sell in you third world country. cheap commodities

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
When the #1 REAL premisse of the monetary 'system' is this:
"You need a job to survive, a job that gives profit to someone else."

you instantly build a piramid.

And if the focus of existence is PROFIT, you cant possibly expect fair and
square - you get corruption that quadruplicate profit and distortions
so insane that if you compare the base to the top of piramid you
wouldnt believe how this monster continues...

the thing is, when someone is out of his job, when he is no longer
climbing the piramid and benefiting anymore from the scheme (
therefore a defender os status quo) is damn too late to do
anything.

As long as there defenders we are screwed. An these are the good
working people who STILL got their jobs.

Farming is the way to go. No buy 'less'.. Produce abundance! Give it
for free! When people agree and close the cycle, the piramid scheme
is irrelevant!

survival mode & blind entertainment is the end of the world.
There is no truth, no understanding... just be a robot and watch the tube.

There is not a single day in my adult life that im not watching my back
for retirement and survival.

Is this the world we are going to pass to the young?
Are we externalizing things just like corporations? (Someone gotta clean the mess...).

We are special, unique and beatiful - NOT FREAKING ROBOTS!

(got carried away, sorry)

[]´s
RP

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Here is the plan:

1-lay off a lot of people
2-desperate people on the rise
3-lower the prices and minimum wage
4-compete with China
5-get the firms to come back to the US and employ the desperate
6-everybody has a job and consumes
7-PROFIT!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by username371

Most excellent video. If all americans would learn this, we would again be free.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by KonigKaos

www.youtube.com...

watch up to 2:05 AT LEAST!

pretty cool eh? might be on to something...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
There were quite a few good posts in this thread, while I didn't always agree with what was said in the post I did star as I saw fit...and I tend to be stingy with stars so there you go.

The problem with the US economy was the manufacturing boom during and post WWII. We had it good because almost all the factories in the industrial world (Europe and Japan specifically) were destroyed. Recovery for those countries meant quality goods. The US was the only game in town and the world poured money in to us.

A funny thing happened, those countries no longer needed those goods as they became more self-sufficient. At first is was the easier things such as furniture and textiles and eventually became automobiles. Even as we lower transportation costs by producing domestically in other countries, we find ourselves less and less marketable in manufacturing.

Think of a small blacksmith that specialized in making practical knives and peddles them to surrounding towns. He has to charge a bit more than a local blacksmith due to upkeep on his cart and staying in inns along his route. Now he does throw in a whetstone and the knives are indeed high quality. But local pricing and availability make for harder sales.

Enter the service industry. Well, he can only teach you how to sharpen a knife with a whetstone so many times before you either get it or no longer wish to pay to learn.

As far as outsourcing production to an apprentice, there come a time when he will go into business for himself. Think of that as like China.

So here we are today stuck in a rut because of market saturation and unwillingness by corporations to make a smaller profit margin. We face deeper job cuts. Older solid factories with a specialized market refuse to gamble investment capitol to expand their product into a similar yet different market.

While trying to change the US from a service industry into a "green industry" sounds great on paper. It isn't the idea man that has to be convinced. The company that laid me off produces parts for building locomotives, a large number of those parts being electric motors from scratch. Now given the market demand electric cars, windmill turbines, etc. You would think this company would look into trying to supply electric motors...nope, they only make parts for locomotives.

End of story, lay off some more to keep the bottom line in shape, I almost had to eat a bologna sandwich last week for lunch. And my god, that is what the hourly eat. --(notice the lack of the word "people" in that sentence. That is the mindset that has to be overcame)

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by KonigKaos
who else is being effected by the Economic Turmoil, your thoughts on the bailouts, Stimulus, and possible US Federal collapse of 2009 and anything you have to add would be grateful.

I'm one of the 71,400. Was told yesterday along with a coworker to "get out". All I have to say at this point is "I hope Bush and his cronies choke to death on their money made from Haliburton". Criminals, the whole lot.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Construction supply in washington is below nil. Forcasts say it will pickup after 2011. No work for month and a half. I was allowed to work 1 day today to pay for my health insurance and thats it. Only work around our state is temporary labor at 9 bucks an hour. Everyone says economy is going to get worse. I hope I can find work because with 3 kids, it is hard to feed them when the food stamps run out. I hope the economy does not crash.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I cant speak for everybody here, I live in Ireland and things have never been better for me, I recently got a job with Apple computers, im close to paying off my loans, the weeks are no longer a struggle, if this is what you call an economic downturn then bring it on.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Griff

So was I Yesterday

After working for the same place for over 12 years seniority wasn't worth a thing, and it isn't in this recession economy.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by freedomandliberty

Not sure what you mean about people that take drugs dieing off and then everyone will be be fine. And your second post about making clothes, do a little study and you will find out that you now need to test your clothes for lead, this might put a lot of small companies out of business.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I was hoping that the first thing that Obama would do if he was truly serious about rebuilding the U.S. economy would be to end the tax breaks for businesses outsourcing American jobs overseas but there doesn't seem to be any discussion about that from either party.

Until that happens we're dead in the water and sinking fast.

Any other western country would have been up in arms a long time ago for allowing their leaders to sell out their futures.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by free_form

Well thats exactly whats going to change, our lives and when we stop buying because we cannot afford it, the markets will be forced to lower the price of goods which in turn will make them buyable again.

This is actually not all bad, goods and services have been blown out of preportion for years, they will have to eat the cost and lower prices or go out of business altogether. The businesses that remain will have been the smart ones that droped prices quickly.

The problem with this is that it is a long cycle to recovery and with Obarry blowing our money on pork and other liberal hairbrained ideas, he will make it worse not better.

We dont need to go green, we need cheap, cheap enengy, cheap coal, screw c02 emissions, that is not pollution and really, i would like it warmer here in Chicago.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join