It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bloody Monday: Over 71,400 jobs lost

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
money.cnn.com...

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The final week of January began with a bloodbath for the job market, as over 71,400 more cuts were announced on Monday alone.

More than 200,000 job cuts have been announced so far this year, according to company reports. Nearly 2.6 million jobs were lost over 2008, the highest yearly job-loss total since 1945.

This is horrible news to the already battered US Economy and heavily over burdened US Tax Payer. I myself have been out of work since Nov 1 2008

who else is being effected by the Economic Turmoil, your thoughts on the bailouts, Stimulus, and possible US Federal collapse of 2009 and anything you have to add would be grateful.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by KonigKaos]

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by KonigKaos

We must restore tariffs and withdraw from all of these unfair trade agreements!
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that 10 cents an hour labor vs a living wage for workers in the US is an unfair trade advantage! NO TO NAFTA, NO TO GATT, NO TO WTO!! American jobs for Americans and let the foreigner pay tariffs if they want to do business with the US.

Since Reagan the entire plan has been to destroy the US middle class with various paper pushing scams. In order to create REAL wealth you must produce something with added value. The entire "New Economy" was based on Wall St deceptions and shakedowns! With the regulatory green light given by the past administration!

The US is in urgent need of it's manufacturing base creating value from real assets and selling them on the open market. Unlike many nations we are fully capable of prospering without the aid of other countries.

Let's get rid of these paper pushers creating "wealth" by moving paper! Smart guys...so smart they have run our country into a ditch while they prosper with their bonuses and golden parachutes.

In the 1960's the average CEO pay vs the average worker. Take a look at this graph. Do you think they are worth 600 times your wages???

If a company is incorporated in the US it should pay US taxes. If they choose to move offshore then they should be charged tariffs to sell their products in the US!

[edit on 26-1-2009 by Leo Strauss]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Look,we have to stop playing their game.The people we vote into office consider us buffons.Tax money tax money tax money.Thats what they thrive on.They have to stay up late at night trying to contrive new and different ways to spend it. We have to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.Cut the tax money!!

Drive less= less fuel tax
Buy less= less sales tax,less excise tax,etc.
Work for hire less= less income tax
Barter and trade for goods and service.Hard to tax,hard to even trace.
These so called civil servants are hard core criminals Imo.They have taxed and spent us into slavery to the system.
Stop playing their game!! Every little bit helps!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I don't know how everybody is going to get jobs back.
I don't think it's possible.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
I don't know how everybody is going to get jobs back.
I don't think it's possible.

Nonsense - What was created once can be created a second time.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Well,

Let's see how Mr. Obama fixes this one...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Bloody? Bloodbath?

Even if losing your job means losing your livelihood, you're way over the line to call it bloody, or a bloodbath. This isn't a war, it's the economy.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I would have to agree with the posts that have come since I first put this up an hour ago.

CEO's of companies are over payed and underworked, while the works (slaves) create that CEO's vast wealth by working themselves to death for low pay.

Out of country American companies should be Tariffs, this is something I havent thought of personally. I spent alot of time thinking of ways to fix the ecomony if I was in the POTUS position. That is just one more thing I can add.

The voting of most of the clows into offices of power is really the peoples fault, who blindly vote straight down there party lines and refuse to look at the facts and qualifications of who they are electing.

The jobs may eventually return, but its going to be a while if at all as you can see when I company collapses its not going come back and offer jobs its gone for good at that point. It would take time for something else to rise to power and hire all these people back.

As for Mr. Obama time will tell what will become of him and his policies, he has a short time to try and fix this and many may scald me for this before everything falls apart under his watch, the ecomony is shaky we are losing 10's of thousands of jobs every month.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Okay, this Brusca guy in the article really confused me. First he says:

"It's all about the consumer, and the consumer's been hit hard," said Robert Brusca, chief economist at Fact and Opinion Economics. "It's a vicious circle as weakness begets layoffs, which beget more spending weakness."

Then he says:

“Brusca said he agreed with many economists' predictions that the recession will end after the second quarter of 2009. Americans might feel the job market start to bounce back a bit sooner than expected, he said.”

To me, this does not compute. If it really is circular, which I believe it is, then how can the job market bounce back when thousands of people are losing jobs every day? I constantly get the feeling that people like this try to make it not sound as bad as it is because they know if they tell it like it is then people won’t consume and that will ensure that more companies go under.

This statement:

“And there's a silver lining to the gloomy clouds over America's economy. The good news is it's so bad right now that we will have a definite, noticeable recovery when it comes," Brusca said. "We're getting a lot of adjustment out of the way early."

Is just ludicrous. Recovery is recovery whether it’s “noticeable” or not.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that 10 cents an hour labor vs a living wage for workers in the US is an unfair trade advantage! NO TO NAFTA, NO TO GATT, NO TO WTO!! American jobs for Americans and let the foreigner pay tariffs if they want to do business with the US.

This reminds me of history.
Ever hear of the Hawley - Smoot Tarriff?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
expect to see more of this in the coming years. people are going to be left by the roadside as we get closer to the end.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
The scary part is that the U.S came out of war in 1945 when they fired that many people.

Today, the U.S is still very much in two wars and they are firing that many people.

Usually war machines wouldn't see this many layoffs. Pretty sad

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

Today, the U.S is still very much in two wars and they are firing that many people.

Well lets hope that they don't think that the problem is that the war's aren't big enough.

I'm tired of war.

But this just adds to how screwed up everything is right now.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45

Buy less= less sales tax,less excise tax,etc.

Buy Less = Small businesses fail leaving only large corporations that can survive the boycott. In other words instead of hurting the government, you destroy your innocent neighbors and friends.

Small business people who earn not much more than those they employ; employ nearly half the non-governmental workers in the country. They are not the problem. They are victims just like you.

We don't need to destroy the innocent. We need new leaders.

New plan: Vote for new people, stop voting for the same people. Take all their power away. If the DNC or the RNC back them; don't vote for them. Do that and we could be a greater country again. Keep voting Republican and Democrat if you want more of the same. They are the same in fact.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
boycott the tax system? you guys are crazy. try working for food and moving to a trailor park.
The camping market is gonna go through the roof. buy lots of tents. and sell for potatoes.
maybe china is hoarding all the money in the world.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Originally posted by Leo Strauss

This reminds me of history.
Ever hear of the Hawley - Smoot Tarriff?

Ever hear of modern unfair trade practices that hurt American jobs?

A promise to abide by World Trade Organization (WTO) rules was one of the prerequisites that enabled China to join the WTO in 2001.

Seven years later, the WTO has ruled that China continues to break trade rules by taxing imported auto parts at the same rate as foreign-made cars.

Unfortunately, international trade consultants expect slow progress in resolving this dispute. The WTO often takes years before authorizing retaliatory sanctions to correct unfair trade tariffs in the global trade arena.
Chinese Car Demand

Representing millions of potential car sales, China holds a very strong hand in world automotive industry with a vast cohort of wealthy Chinese buyers.

According to Brian Klapper from the Associated Press, Chinese demand for cars soared 22% to 8.8 million in 2007. Trailing only the United States and Japan, China’s car market is the third largest in the world.

While Chinese consumers buy foreign-made automobiles, at least 40% of car parts in fully assembled vehicles have to be sourced from within China. Otherwise, international car exporters have to pay a significant Chinese import duty.

Car makers from Canada, the U.S. and the EU complain that China imposes tariffs on auto parts at the same rate as on foreign-made finished cars, thus violating WTO trade rules that China agreed to when the People’s Republic joined the WTO. At the same time, unfettered Chinese auto exports are booming.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
It was bound to happen sooner or later. The US has outsourced everything and gone up for sale. At the cost of the American peoples allowing this to happen. This is the work of our own willingness to put of with the BS for so long. It was inevitable. Every action has an equal and opposing reaction, this moment in history is necessary for change. However, you still do have a choice, you can turn your heads and allow this to continue or you can respectively show others towards a better way.

Whoever said this is not a war and it was just the economy was wrong. This is a war. Fought with the same weapons used for thousands pf years, poverty. Many would have allowed this to go on and then look back only to wonder. Me, I will be comfortable knowing that this was a long time coming and a bit overdue. It is time for revolution and freedom from their money that keeps us weak and docile slaves to their lust for power.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by 12.21.12]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
KonigKaos, sorry to read of your personal job loss.
We need the green economy of Tom Friedmam. Now. To stay afloat at first, but then to start to swim.

What is worse than having enemies is to suddenly be left behind by other countries, as they realize America is the dimming city on the hill. Whatever we don't get right now could be looked upon as weakness by those who looked up to us. We will no longer be a world leader if we end up a follower in green technology.

Perhaps the past administration's greatest lie told to us was the reason why that sad man Bin Laden hated us. "Our freedoms" That lie distracted us into a war in Iraq and looting at home.

"It is important to hit the economy (of the United States), which is the base of its military power..." OBL 12-2001 The sad truth is our economy was not hit by a crazy Saudi. Our enemies were home grown. Both enemies were fanatical believers in their dogma, one a religious dogma, the other a free market dogma. The deregulators and the watchdogs who fell asleep did what Bin Laden couldn't succeed in.

After OBL's attack we were told to go shopping. After the home grown attack...hell, we can't go shopping!

Jobs, green collar jobs will go a long way to putting this country on a more secure footing. To change to a green economy will involve a shift in attitude with no going back to business as usual. It won't be easy, but it must be done to really make Americans truly secure.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Yeah, these layoffs are causing a cascade. You lay people off and then they buy less stuff and it causes more lay offs, but there's something most people forget. It's worse than that. You don't just lose money from the people that got laid off. When big amounts of layoffs are happening people that still have their jobs hear about it in the news. Even though they still have jobs they get scared and start saving their money too. It's a cycle but we might get out of it. Probably will get out of it somehow because these big companies don't all want to go broke. They don't care about the people, but they do care about lost profits so when it gets bad enough they'll have to start hiring. Even if they hire people to dig holes and hire someone else to come along behind them and fill them up. They'll have to eventually.

I don't know if it's gonna be this time. I think we might bounce back from this one sometime late this year. However, I still think we all need to start thinking about a new way. A completely new idea than what we're doing. Ever since America was started all we've done is try to find ways to eliminate work by either replacing people with machines or new technologies or mass production or outsourcing labor or finding new efficient ways to do things.

Normally this is a good thing for profits and many people have more money. However, I've always worried about some kind of critical mass number of lost jobs. Especially if robots and machines ever become intelligent enough. Kind of like Peak Oil for labor. It's not that we'll be completely out of jobs, but the worker to work ratio will get so far off from each other that we'll have all these people to feed but there won't be any labor for them to do. What do we do if that happens? Is that what's happening now? I wouldn't know how to solve a problem like that.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by tinfoilman]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join