It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst Winter Storm in 20+ years!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
As far as the Iowa winters is concerned, all I can say about it is that the storm was down-right scary as hell. And I say that having watched Tornados several times. I would much rather sit on a hilltop and watch a tornado that is close-by than have every thing in my yard shatter with the sound of a shotgun (although an actual direct hit from a tornado would probably sound even worse).

This storm was the first time I was actually SCARED of a storm, and we get severe storms here often.

As far as strictly winter storms are concerned, my boss spend a good deal of his life in the Northern States (Minnesotta, North Dakota, Montana) and in the higher altitudes of the Colorado Rockies (Steamboat Springs) and this storm scared HIM. This is the same guy that used to brag to us about surveying land wearing snow-shoes.
However, I don't really think it is appropriate to argue about it, so I'll just, once again, say that I hope everyone is alright.

Jn

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky

Yep a picture can say a thousand words.

Today in the news was this story, quote taken from this ATS thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=435486

Originally posted by numo16

Belfast environment chief bans climate change ads

news.yahoo.com

DUBLIN – Northern Ireland's environment minister announced Monday he has banned British government TV ads on climate change and denounced their energy-saving message as "insidious propaganda."
Sammy Wilson has repeatedly raised eyebrows since winning the environment post in Northern Ireland's power-sharing government last year. The hard-line Protestant, a leading light in the Democratic Unionist Party, argues that global weather patterns are naturally cooling, not warming — and humanity should invest in coping with God-driven climate change, not trying to slow down a man-made problem.
(visit the link for the full news article)

ATS thread www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=435486

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Hi everyone. I'm still kicking! Today is two weeks without power. There were over 3000 power poles broken by this ice storm (just our power companies)and crews have come from all over to help them out. Some have been told it may be March before they get power restored. The past two days it has been in the 70's and tomorrow they are calling for thunderstorms, some of which could be severe. That is the last thing we need right now with all the weakened trees and power lines...

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
In response to Jn post; Dublin

Tell it to the people in Kiribati...

RSOE EDIS posted this week.

Kiribati, a Pacific island-nation in danger of being submerged because of global warming, may purchase land elsewhere to relocate its people, President Anote Tong said. “We would consider buying land,” Tong said in an interview in New Delhi. “The alternative is that we die, we go extinct.” Kiribati, between Hawaii and Australia, is the second island-nation after the Maldives that’s floated the idea of buying land should their islands be swamped by rising seas and more powerful storms.

Warmer temperatures are melting icecaps, expanding the volume of oceans and causing more intense storm systems. Higher tides in Kiribati’s 33-island archipelago are making potable water for its 100,000 residents too salty to drink. Tong appealed Feb. 5 to leaders who will meet in Copenhagen in December to turn their attention to islanders hurt by global warming. “I can fully understand why responsible leaders of countries like Kiribati and the Maldives want to take action now and I think we’ll see more of this,” said Kim Carstensen, climate-change program director for the environmental group WWF International.

Increasingly, “we’re facing a situation where hundreds of millions of people will be at risk from the consequences of climate change in the form of rising sea levels for small island-states and low-lying countries like Bangladesh,” Carstensen said Feb. 6 in a telephone interview from Copenhagen. “We are the face of the victims,” Tong said. “There has to be an international commitment that those countries that are willing to provide land will be compensated and a fund will be provided. But we will be willing to spend our own money if nothing else was coming forth.” )

[edit on 9-2-2009 by Absum!]

Jn

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Absum!
In response to Jn post; Dublin

Tell it to the people in Kiribati...
[edit on 9-2-2009 by Absum!]

What has that island got to do with CO2 and carbon footprint TAX?.

Do you know what CO2 is and how ESSENTIAL it is to this planet and nature, and how we have NO impact on its levels?.

That islands change is probably to do with the WOBBLE and change in movement of the earth, but NOT CO2!.

Dont know?, well watch this i learnt alot from this documentary!.

SCIENTISTS explain why the so called 'CO2 man made global warming' is a Swindle!.

"The Great Global Warming Swindle" (documentary in link below).

www.viddler.com...

www.viddler.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
My power came back on this evening!!!! Woohoo!!! I learned to never ever take it for granted again! I am one happy woman right now!!

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

I am happy to see you back. I hope it was not too bad for you. I can't imagine having to deal with that cold and no heat.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Thank you!! Actually this was a valuable learning experience. I cooked on a two burner propane camp stove, heated my home with a kerosene heater, dipped water from the pool for toilets, heated clean water (we always keep at least 10 gallons just in case) on the kerosene heater for bathing and washing dishes. I am a candle freak, so light was not an issue, well I did break out the trusty hand crank radio/flashlight and the small battery operated fan for ambient noise. I learned something about myself through this mess! I learned that I am a big old wuss that couldn't handle the pressure and after a week and a half went and bought a generator!

[edit on 12-2-2009 by Greenize]

[edit on 12-2-2009 by Greenize]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

I'm glad you're well & in better spirits. I can't imagine being in the cold & dark for that long.

My parents just got their power back Feb 6, but my Uncle and Grandmother (in the same area) are still without power to this day. They say it might be a long time before power is restored completely.

I found a few more current articles regarding the KY outage:

Officials say fewer than 50,000 still without power

Kenergy customers want answers to power outages

Ice storm wreaked havoc on Kentucky communications

Is the Kentucky Ice Storm Obama's Katrina?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Evasius

Thank you for the links! These poor power companies. They have help from all over the country, as a matter of fact a man from Minnesota was killed this week when the pole he was on broke. Yesterday we had 63 mph winds and alot of the people that had had power restored lost it again. This is been a long winter and I look forward to spring. All we can do is re-plant trees in the yard (small squatty ones) and pick up the pieces. Thank you all for you prayers and concern!!

Jn

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Absum!

I wasnt saying about polution and such, obviously the environment needs looking after, and we need to be prepared for nature.

The point is the people who push this man made global warming thing, arnt bothered about environment or your survival, they just want to TAX $$$$$$ you over so called "co2 man made global warming", which SCIENTISTS say is a HOAX anyway.

How does paying Al Gore trillions of $$$$$ help the environment?.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join