It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islamist fighters seize Somali government seat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Islamist fighters seize Somali government seat

edition.cnn.com

Islamist fighters on Monday seized control of Baidoa, Somalia -- the headquarters of the country's U.N.-backed government -- raiding the parliament building and demanding that several lawmakers publicly surrender, according to a journalist in the city who witnessed the public spectacle.

The situation left Somali lawmakers stranded in the neighboring country of Djibouti, where they often convene and where talks on forming a new government are currently under way.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Funny, sign a cease-fire and as soon as the aid troops leave, we take the government.

I don't much know the history of the region as i've been busy with the Middle East for quite a few years, i do know that they've been fighting for what seems like decades now, do we have any subject matter experts who can help us understand what's goin on here?

edition.cnn.com

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
A lot of posters have been abusing the Alternative forum lately.
This ain't Alternative News, dude. Seeing that it came from Chicken Noodle News...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by eldard

I did post an alternative source from Reuters, which is pretty reliable.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I am interested to know what and why the Solamlians are fighting in this region...however, the last colonizers may be a good place to begin....anyone know?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Alternative means not sourced from MSM. Reuters is supplier to MSM.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I think its better to leave somalia as it is, if the US and ethopians couldnt take care of the mess there than NO ONe can except these islamists.

These somalians, they don't only kill but they would literally eat you.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Funny, sign a cease-fire and as soon as the aid troops leave, we take the government.

I don't much know the history of the region as i've been busy with the Middle East for quite a few years, i do know that they've been fighting for what seems like decades now, do we have any subject matter experts who can help us understand what's goin on here?

edition.cnn.com

What is funny is your obsession with Muslims where ever they are and what ever they do.

There are Muslims everywhere, they come in all shapes and sizes with all kinds of problems just like everyone. I even met a Kalahari pygmy bushman who was a Muslim. To allow for his religion, other bushmen allowed him to cover up his buttocks!

The Somali conflict is a tribal problem. While it is a Muslim country, it is a resource rich African country in a strategic position that catches the eye of the major powers and have always maintained an interest there.

Incidentally there are African countries that are also Christians with genocidal wars such as in Rwanda and DR Congo with the Lord's Resistance army contributing to 6 million slaughtered yet you don't hear Muslims calling Christians, Christianists.

The term Islamist is a reductionist expression designed to negate any geopolitical concerns or ambition for progress of people who happen to be Muslim in any part of the world. The only category of people exempt from this designation is the criminal classes.

It is well worth investigating the origins and purpose of the term Islamist . This is a new word not older than about twenty years and seems to be part of the American neocon and pro-Israeli lexicon.

[edit on 063131p://am3110 by masonwatcher]

new topics

top topics

join