It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska Governor Sarah Palin Wins 2008 Rubber Dodo Award

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Alaska Governor Sarah Palin Wins 2008 Rubber Dodo Award

www.biologicaldiversity.org

Palin Has Sought to Remove Endangered Species Act Protection for the Polar Bear, Suppressed and Lied About State Global Warming Studies, and Denied That Global Warming Is Caused by Greenhouse Gas Emissions
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Mods, I hope this is in the right thread, please move if not, thank you.

Personally I do not know what to think of the "global warming" issue, but I do know that something is taking place with our world, and it sure would not hurt for humanity to treat our home with far more respect.

The fact that Palin lied in regards to Fish and Game scientists finding fatal flaws in the sea ice models used by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service just seems like more "business as usual" to me.

www.biologicaldiversity.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Global Warming is real. It was in the beginning stages but thanks to this marvelous Depression it was aborted.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by eldard

Global warming certainly is real.... but the causes for it are not clear IMO.
the whole solar system is heating up.... can't all be our fault??

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I don't know that I believe that it is "all the fault of humanity", but my instincts tell me that we are not helping much at this point.

I was actually momentarily "shocked" at my "not being shocked" when reading this article. I feel that I am becoming "numb" in many ways to the attitude and actions of our elected officials etc. these days.

I am concerned that when people no longer have the feeling of "shock" or "outrage" then we have already "lost" in many ways.

I think we have a responsibility to our planet, and it frustrates me that many people do not seem to recognize this, and even go so far as to lie about information for their own benefit.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by amazed]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by amazed

I agree we should take more care..

But this whole "green" thing at the moment is a massive money making scam IMO.

I'm not saying that there are not genuine issues... Landfills, recycling, wasting of food, smog and pollution.

But the whole "we are heating up the planet" thing... I'm just not sure...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Man....I just spaced it (this was the only reason I clicked on this thread)

I could of swore I read "Sara Palin Wins 2008 Rubber Dil*o Award"

I guess your mind can play tricks on you.....

[edit on 26-1-2009 by TrainDispatcher]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
When a species is multipying at an alarming rate, isn't that the time to remove them from the list. The Act worked...now it is time to move on...or should they stay on the list indefinately, no matter what their population?

Any site that still promotes Global Warming....well that speaks for itself. I think even Algore has given up on Global Warming....BTW anyone here from Algore lately?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrainDispatcher
Man....I just spaced it (this was the only reason I clicked on this thread)

I could of swore I read "Sara Palin Wins 2008 Rubber Dil*o Award"

I guess your mind can play tricks on you.....

[edit on 26-1-2009 by TrainDispatcher]

Oh man, I am still laughing over that one. Thanks, I was feeling a bit "despondent" but now I feel better.

blupblup, you could be right about the push towards living "green" being a scam. But can you deny that it is in our best interest to "free" ourselves as much as possible from oil? I would love to be able to use solar and or wind power for my electricity as well as find a better and cheaper way of running my vehicle. Basically I also feel that taking care of our environment and living within a "greener" environment can only be healthy.

RRconservative, yes when a species is multiplying and not in danger of becoming extinct they are removed from the endangered list, it does happen. The problem with this specific scenario involving Palin is that the population of polar bears are still in decline and two-thirds are projected to disappear by 2050. They should not, because of this reason be removed from the endangered list because they are still endangered.

I think that many of us agree (in regards to global warming), that things are changing, how and why is what is in question and not the actual fact that we are having a climate change. Personally I cannot "hate on" any group that is working towards teaching people to live a "greener" life. Whatever the reason, and I sure do not claim to know all the specifics, the climate is changing, and it is to our benefit to pay attention and stop using up the planets resources as if their is no damage that we could possibly do.

Peace

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   

www.drudgereport.com...

Al Gore is scheduled before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Wednesday morning to once again testify on the 'urgent need' to combat global warming.

But Mother Nature seems ready to freeze the proceedings.

A 'Winter Storm Watch' has been posted for the nation's capitol and there is a potential for significant snow... sleet... or ice accumulations.

"I can't imagine the Democrats would want to showcase Mr. Gore and his new findings on global warming as a winter storm rages outside," a Republican lawmaker emailed the DRUDGE REPORT. "And if the ice really piles up, it will not be safe to travel."

A spokesman for Sen. John Kerry, who chairs the committee, was not immediately available to comment on contingency plans.

Note to Global Warming Freaks....From now on start holding hearings and forums on Global Warming......in the SUMMER! Idiots!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   

reply to post by amazed

This is old information generated by the liberal eastern environmental hate Palin activist groups.

Up here in Alaska we have lower 48 environmentalists and their lawyers on every street corner especially in the summer. They're pests like mosquitoes!

Palin's position on polar bears and global warming is mainstream in Alaska. The polar bears are doing great, even multiplying with plenty to eat.

And don't tell us we have global warming! This is the coldest summer and winter we can remember.

Ms Suckling needs to find someone else to annoy!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
on global warming it seems both sides have proof,,, how can that be???

and i figure,,, whether it's true or not,,,,we are certainly polluting our world with toxic gases, substances, and chemicals and ruining open space and the environment,,,

and that we do need to curb and limit

we as humans feel so entitled

as in a car is a right,, or must have to live

and i can see in a sense it is,,, but it still pollutes and is ruining the world

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Al Gore is scheduled before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Wednesday morning to once again testify on the 'urgent need' to combat global warming.
reply to post by RRconservative

Al Gore is the laughing stock for all Alaska! Check out Frozen Al Gore Unveiled by Critic in Alaska to see how seriously we take Al Gore!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by amazed

I agree we should take more care..

But this whole "green" thing at the moment is a massive money making scam IMO.

I'm not saying that there are not genuine issues... Landfills, recycling, wasting of food, smog and pollution.

But the whole "we are heating up the planet" thing... I'm just not sure...

Exactly. Unknown why some just can't get it that even if the planet is warming, that it doesn't have to be from our actions since it's happened many times before there were even any humans. And if humans aren't causing the warming, it might be the height of arrogance to think humans can do anything about it.

And now I find it pitiful that the eco-nazis have to resort to using Palin as a lightning rod to help them with the sagging support for their pet issues. What's next, picking on her handicapped child for using too many resources?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by amazed
blupblup, you could be right about the push towards living "green" being a scam. But can you deny that it is in our best interest to "free" ourselves as much as possible from oil? I would love to be able to use solar and or wind power for my electricity as well as find a better and cheaper way of running my vehicle. Basically I also feel that taking care of our environment and living within a "greener" environment can only be healthy.

No, definitely not.
The less we rely on oil and fossil fuels the better.
I also would love to be completely self sufficient in that respect(heating/running my home) and look forward to it.

But all these "green taxes" and extra money we're shelling out on this that and the other... is not good.

Also, about your alternative to petrol/diesel biomotors.co.uk... check that link and also google search for conversion kits.... run your car on vegetable oil.... there are many alternatives!!

I agree also, looking after the environment IS only a good thing, but not if it means lining the governments pockets or anyone elses for that matter.

Cheers,

Blup

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
plumranch
I am not a "Palin hater", but I am glad that she is not our vice president even though I am a woman. Personally I feel she showed she would not be a good vice president with her actions and words.

I am not sure what you mean by a couple of your statements such as "we have environmentalists and their lawyers on every street corner" or "Palin's position on polar bears and global warming is mainstream in Alaska.", because I lived in Anchorage for almost ten years and went to University there, and I don't remember any such thing. But you could be right, it has been many years since I have lived in Anchorage.

I do know that in "some" areas the polar bears are "doing great", but the big picture shows that populations in general are declining. We have to look at the big picture here, not just the few areas where they proliferate around humans because of "easy food" ie garbage. In Alaska 42% of cubs now reach 12 months of age, compared to 65% 15 years ago.

www.defenders.org...

My question to Palin would be "why did she fight to keep polar bears off the endangered list"? She sued the Bush Administration in federal court stating that they were too accepting of climate change studies which overstated the phenomenon's impact on polar bears. The result, she argued, would be a negative impact on her state's businesses, including oil and gas extraction. Palin even had three of her own scientist review the USGS studies and they found them sound.

Seems that Palin ignores and denies the studies done by USGS but supports studies funded by the petroleum industry. This shows me where her allegiance lies, and it is not with the general public and the planet, but with the petroleum industry.

a.abcnews.com...

www.alaskatrekker.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

The annual average temperature in Alaska has increased 3.5°F from 1949 to 2005. Temperatures have changed more in Alaska over the past 30 years than they have anywhere else on Earth: winters have warmed by a startling 5-6°F. The growing season has lengthened by two weeks.

I know where I live now that it IS getting warmer, I do not need a "study" to tell me this, I see it, I feel it. Every year they push the date of opening the ski resort later and later in the season. Used to be they would open by Thanksgiving weekend, this year they did not open until almost Christmas. Used to be we had snow by mid October, and this has not been the case for many years. This year we were thinking we would not even have snow by Christmas, but the week before we finally did.

I am a gardener and my plants are growing far later into the season, such as this year I had fresh tomatoes from my garden for Thanksgiving. And now, it being January, I am getting many plants growing already, which should not be the case until about late February early March.

This past year the growing zones were changed all across the country, stating a longer and warmer growing season everywhere. I can grow plants in my area, that used to be I could not as it was in general too cold.

Many of our native trees are dying out, as the weather is too warm for them (or the summer too warm and dry as well as the winters being warmer). We have others being killed by a beetle that normally would die out during cold winters, and this is not happening. We are losing thousands of acres, I have personally seen in just a few weeks whole mountain sides die out because of these beetles. Trees are dying across a wide variety of forest types, at all elevations and all tree sizes. This in turn affects our wildlife and the future of our wildlife. I can't deny the truth of this, as I see it with my own eyes.

What has been so unusual, is that many many days I have been able to go outside and work in my yard, in a short sleeved shirt in the middle of winter, this is not normal for where I live. My son will even go outside to play in shorts and t-shirt and stay plenty plenty warm.

I am not arguing FOR global warming being caused by humans only, but I do know that the climate is changing. What is causing this change in my mind is what is in question, not that it is taking place, but how much of an impact that humans are having.

Personally I feel that living "greener" cannot "harm" the earth and all of us that live here, not just humans but animals and plants.

I ask you, do you feel that we should continue to "suck up" the resources of our home without looking at the possible consequences of doing so? We have 6.756 billion humans living on this planet and the world's population is expected to reach nearly 9 billion by the year 2040. Do you think that we have no impact on this planet? Or no responsibility towards keeping the planet as healthy as possible? It floors me, that many people do not realize the impact that 6.756 billion humans can have. It just seems instinctualy impossible to me, that this number of humans, could have zero impact on the environment, and believe that we can continue as we have been without consequences.

en.wikipedia.org... has some great information, not just about "global warming" being caused by humans, but other causes as well. Seems to me that the question is not "is the earth warming up" but "what factors are causing the warming" and "what does this mean" as well as "can humans be having an impact and if so how much of an impact"?

en.wikipedia.org... has several good charts that are easy too understand.

So, I guess my point is that yes I believe that something is taking place with our climate, but I do not know that humans are 100% the cause, but that it cannot hurt for us to live with the mindset of "green". Therefor lowering the impact of almost 7 billion people, which is something new in the history of this planet.

To me, it is arrogant for humans to think that we have no impact what so ever and that we can continue on the same path we have been on without those consequences "biting us on the as@".

Peace

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Question for all of you Sarah Palin haters:

Are you aware that this story is yet another example of media bashing against her? Are you aware that your own U.S. Government was worthy of this award before she was?

Check out the National Wildlife Federation's official page:

The US Department of Interior announced that the polar bear will be listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act on May 14, 2008, but the listing was filled with contradictions. For example, the administration signaled that it would take no steps under the Endangered Species Act to protect the polar bear from the massive oil and gas development currently planned in the very heart of its habitat.

www.nwf.org...

Why blame Palin when our very own national government is just as guilty of not adequately protecting the Polar Bear?

I'll bet if I tried a little harder I could poke holes in the other two things also. This article quoted in post 1 is a FAIL.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

My question to Palin would be "why did she fight to keep polar bears off the endangered list"?
reply to post by amazed

If you've lived and studied up here it shouldn't be a surprise to you that Palin doesn't side with the environmentalists.

Here is one of my threads on polar bearsClimate worries complicate Alaska drilling (Polar Bear affected?). My point was that in some areas the populations are down and in others they are up. In fact in the Hudson Bay area polar bears are getting to be a problem because of population increases. They are hardly an endangered species unless you take the environmentalist view that any species in decline needs to be on the endangered species list for protection.

People in the lower 48 feel guilty about what they are doing to their environment so they try to legislate what we Alaskans do with ours. Well, we disagree and kindly ask that you mind your own business and keep your lawyers down there.

That fake dodo bird award coming out in September '08 looked very much like some little environmental group trying to influence the ellection. Why else would they do it?

I have devoted much of my life to proenvironmental causes and think there is much one can do at a personal level. Trying to smear Palin with a dodobird award is politics not science IMHO.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Did you miss one of my paragraphs? Could have been easy to do as I did a fairly long post. Surprised myself. And again, I am not a "Palin hater", I don't know the woman enough to hate her, I do know her enough (through the media and her policy patterns that I have studied) to disagree with her politics though.

Here is something from my above post

I do know that in "some" areas the polar bears are "doing great", but the big picture shows that populations in general are declining. We have to look at the big picture here, not just the few areas where they proliferate around humans because of "easy food" ie garbage. In Alaska 42% of cubs now reach 12 months of age, compared to 65% 15 years ago.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

There is no real evidence of the solar system heating up. A few planets "speculated" to be warming up is not evidence. And all can be explained by other very logical explanations.

One of those being pluto. If the sun was heating the solar system up enough to actually heat pluto up, we would be in FAR worse trouble then we are in now. Like, living in underground bunkers.

Jupiter? well what do we really know about Jupiter. The bands in the atmosphere come and go and no one can explain why, much less that that planet is heating up.

Mars is going through a cycle,that is natural for mars due to its wobbly orbit.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join