It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Judiciary Chairman Subpoenas Karl Rove

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

House Judiciary Chairman Subpoenas Karl Rove

www.foxnews.com

The chairman of the House Judiciary Committee has subpoenaed former White House adviser Karl Rove to testify about the Bush administration's firing of U.S. attorneys.

The subpoena Monday by Michigan Democratic Rep. John Conyers continues a long-running legal battle. Rove previously refused to appear before the panel, contending that former presidential advisers cannot be compelled to testify before Congress.

Conyers also wants him to testify on whether politics played a role in the prosecution of former Alabama Gov. Don Siegelman, a Democrat.

"I have said many times that I will carry this investigation forward to its conclusion, whether in Congress or in court, and today's action is an important step along the way," Conyers said. "Change has come to Washington, and I hope Karl Rove is ready for it. After two years of stonewalling, it's time for him to talk."

Rove was asked to appear for a deposition on Feb. 2.

Rove's former boss, ex-President George W. Bush, upheld Rove's legal position but it has been rejected by U.S. District Judge John Bates and the Obama administration. President Obama has called Rove's claim "completely misguided."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
So, what do you all think about this one?

What'll happen next? Will Cheney be subpoenaed? Will even Bush eventually have to defend what he did while in office? Is Bush still able to hide behind executive privilege if that happens, or is he even able to to begin with?

Or is there a way that Bush and others still can avoid being subpenoaed?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I think it is a waste of taxpayers money. This will be dragged out for years to come. You would think at this point Congress would be more interested in fixing the economy.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Please God, Please God, Please God, Please God, Please God, Please God, Please God, Please God, Please God, Please God, Please God, Please God!!

Say hello to your new roomate Bubba!

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
I think it is a waste of taxpayers money. This will be dragged out for years to come. You would think at this point Congress would be more interested in fixing the economy.

They waste our tax money on so much crap, I for one would be happy to spend my tax dollars on putting these criminals behind bars. I wish there was a way to allocate precisely where your taxes go; I would give all of mine to John Conyers.

Until people in those positions are held accountable for their crimes, they will continue to commit them. Prosecuting these individuals would be the best investment in national defense our government has ever made.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
And I'm sure he will show up to this subpoena just like he did the last one. Seeing how he is such an upstanding citizen and all that.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I think it's amazing that they're finally gonna make that little whelp talk. I wish they'd put him in prison for his political playbook but that's another thread intirely.

I think this is the tip of the iceberg for the Bush administrations upcoming legal battles. It's a good start in my opinion, now if they can put George on the stand to testify for war crimes, that would be splendid.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
/me Is proud to be a Michigander

GO JOHN We got your back ..

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

I bet if it was congress looking into Obama's birth certificate you'd be all over it huh?

If the majority of the American people want someone held accountable for dragging their good country's name though the mud, that is their right.

Conservatives
, as McCain said, "The American people have voiced their opinion, and spoken loudly".

Obama would have to nuke a US city for America to vote Republican again because republicans have transformed into grouchy old farts ready to start a fight like you Jam. The time of pre-emptive strikes and support for israel is fading, a new generation, who doesn't care about your skin or race is emerging as the dinosaurs slowly die out.

Is this how the government takes over? Allows your hated for one so deep that you give full power to the other?

FYI, I'm not liberal, and would like his birth certificate looked into.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by breakingdradles]

Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Novastar824

John Conyers needs to get a life and let go of the hatred he has
for George Bush and his administration.
Carl Rove would make them all look like fools IF he shows up
to talk to those clowns.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
I think it's amazing that they're finally gonna make that little whelp talk. I wish they'd put him in prison for his political playbook but that's another thread intirely.

I think this is the tip of the iceberg for the Bush administrations upcoming legal battles. It's a good start in my opinion, now if they can put George on the stand to testify for war crimes, that would be splendid.

Dream on.

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I never liked the guy, but everybody gets their time in court. If he did do something illegal
Bush will wish he was in office long enough to pardon him. Imagine the things that could possibly come out!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by PammyK
I never liked the guy, but everybody gets their time in court. If he did do something illegal
Bush will wish he was in office long enough to pardon him. Imagine the things that could possibly come out!

Get ready for a big goose egg.
Nothing will come out.
Look forward not backward.
Stop wasting your time with this nonsense.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
not a waste of taxpayers money at all.
get to the bottom of the Siegelman case.
Watergate wasn't a waste of taxpayer money either.
They went after Capone for "tax evasion" didn't they? They know what Rove did and if they can get the ball rolling with the pretext of inappropriate political moves, they can open the door to bigger things like Siegelman and maybe Plame and maybe other things that will lead to Cheney getting a knock on his door. Accountability is crucial if you want credibility as a government. I don't care if they be Democrat or Republican or Independent. No one is above the law.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Dude, you're kidding, right?
They are wanting to talk to the man for the firing of Federal Attorney's for political reasons! This is the height of corruption. Politicizing the JUDICIAL BRANCH of government! Destablizing the checks and ballances of our Government organization!
Hell no, Rove is GOING to go to court to testify in the role that the Executive played. Guess what? If they can hook him in a lie, someone at the top is going down, but you can wager it will be Rove. If there is even an inkling of a hint that he might squeel on his former boss, Rove will be offed. Car wreck.
And this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Obama has stacked his Judicial appointees with folks who were critical of Bush, and we already know he is moving forward in pursuit of the torture issue, as the UN has said that if he doesn't, they WILL. Not to mention the fact that Pelosi is on record supporting such action, sentiments followed by another Senator (can't remember his name)...

No sir, the writing is on the wall, justice will be served towards these criminals! At least this is my ultimate hope, and it appears it is being answered...
And don't give me that "look forward and not back" BS... All men are to be held equal in the eyes of the law. Past, present and future. I took the time to excerpt something out of "Great American Trials - 200 compelling courtroom dramas from Salem Witchcraft to Rodney King" just FOR people like you...

"The Prosecution of an Ex-President's Cabinet:

The Teapot Dome Trials: 1926-30

Defendants: Sherman Burns: trial 3; William J. Burns: trial 3; Henry Mason Day: trial 3; Edward L. Doheny: trials 1 and 8; Albert B. Fall: trials 1,3, and 7; Harry F. Sinclair: trials 2,3, and 4; And Robert W. Stewart: trial 6
Crimes Charged: Conspiracy to defraud the U.S. government: trials 1 and 4; Contempt of the U.S. Senate: trials 2 and 5; Contempt of court for jury shadowing: trial 3; Perjury: trial 6; Accepting a bribe: trial 7; Giving a bribe: trial 8
Chief Defense Lawyers: Frank J. Hogan, George P. Hoover, Wilton J. Lambert, William E. Leahy, Martin W. Littleton, R.W. Ragland, G.T. Stanford and Mark B. Thompson
Chief Prosecutors: Neil Burkinshaw, Peyton C. Gordon, Atlee W. Pomerene, Owen J. Roberts, and Leo A. Rover
Judges: Jennings Bailey, William Hitz, Adolph A. Hoehling, and Frederick L. Siddons
Place: Washington, D.C.
Dates of Trials: November 22-December 16, 1926; March 3, 1927; December 5, 1927-February 21, 1928; April 16-21, 1928; May 31-June 14, 1928; November 12-20, 1928; October 7-25, 1929; March 12-22, 1930
Verdicts: 1. Not guilty; 2: Guilty; 3: Guilty; 4: Not guilty; 5: Not guilty; 6: Not guilty; 7: Guilty; 8: Not guilty
Sentences: Three months imprisonment and $500 fine: trial 2: Sinclair, six months, Day, four months, Sherman Burns, $1,000, William Burns, 15 days: trial 3; One year and $100,000: trial 7

SIGNIFICANCE
Teapot Dome in the "roaring twenties" was the largest scandal in the US government since the administration of President Ulysses S. Grant. It became a permanent symbol of corruption in government. It marked the first time in U.S. history that an officer in a president's cabinet was convicted of a felony and served a prison sentence.

*Page 332 of "Great American Trials from Salem Witchcraft to Rodney King" "

I don't want to hear the "We aren't a banana republic" "argument" you heard (and buy whole heartedly) from Rush Limbaugh telling us that this behavior is unamerican. Stop justifying criminal behavior under the guise of "patriotism" which is nothing more than loyalty to a failed regime, and increasingly, political ideology.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

You think it is nonsense? Why, if Karl is being called by the Law to testify, let the system decide. Don't you agree?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
From the whole Gonzales mess to the breaking of the torture statutes that administration was dirty. I hope they get this information out, but I very much agree if they think he is going to give up Cheney and Bush he will need some sort of protective custody.

This is going to be a very interesting year indeed.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

Eh, protective custody won't do him any good. Remember, the Secret Service (SS) are responsible for protecting the President and Vice President. I imagine that they would have influence over A LOT of the military and law enforcement of this country.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Best news of 2009! I hope this gains traction in the post Bush "climate of hope". It could just be the thread that unravels a very large and evil cloak.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Well by what I see, he is already condemned, so it is no suprised to me he said no, people have already made up their mind without giving the man a trial.
Not defending any of the mans actions, but I at least think he should be tried before being condemned.
If he is not tried, then that only means that nobody has any hard evidence of anything, besides outside speculation. And if they do have the hard evidence, and he is not tried because of his position, then so be it. Move on, all you are doing at that point is beating a dead horse.
All of this is just to deter the focus off the new administration,and make the new administration look like the good guy, and if you dont see that, then i am sorry for you.
So many people say they want to move on from these past horrible 8 years, yet everyone still holds onto the past. Its over, get over it, you want change, then change, and stop thinking like you once were.
I just hope people will be this dedicated to prosecuting future politicians that do horrible things, even if they are part of their political party.
This country is getting desperate, and the last thing that we need to be doing is hanging onto old feelings. Lets move it along people.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by Common Good]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join