It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netanyahu would let West Bank settlements expand

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Netanyahu would let West Bank settlements expand

news.yahoo.com

JERUSALEM – The front-runner in Israel's election said in an interview published Monday that he would let Jewish settlements expand in the West Bank if he's elected prime minister, threatening to put him at odds with the Obama administration.

The remarks by hawkish Likud Party leader Benjamin Netanyahu come just before the new U.S. special envoy to the Middle East, George Mitchell, is scheduled to visit Israel, the West Bank elsewhere this week for talks [...]
(visit the link for the full news article)

This is what the expansion has been like over the years:

Image Source: apjp.org...

[edit on Mon Jan 26th 2009 by DJMessiah]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Ladies and gentlemen, this is the exact reason why Israeli's and Palestinian lives are in danger. When Israel expands its borders into Palestinian territory, military groups repel Israel's military, which causes Israel to retaliate by taking control of the area's resources and then start the bombing, which in turn creates greater attacks on Israeli settlements.

First Israel expands and builds its military settlements into the Palestinian refugee towns, then come the Israeli civilian settlements in the same area. Then the Palestinians fight off the Israeli expansion, which then causes the Israeli military to build their military settlements in even further to fight off the Palestinians. The process then repeats.

This process is what has caused groups like Hammas to come into power, because there is no one willing to help stop this land grab.

This man cannot be elected as PM or else more civilians will die on both sides.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
This could very well just be him doing his job as a politician. He is promising big things only to get elected. Once elected he minimizes the promises he made. Wouldn't be the first politician to do this.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

That would be true if he were in the US, but being in Israel, there would be little political objection from the far right wing which controls their politics.

US has asked Israel to remove settlements, and they have, but they just rebuild military settlements once again in the coming weeks.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Guess it is going to be interesting to see how Obama deals with this and if Congress will back him up if he decides to get tough with Israel. Wasn't too long ago Congress showed its solidarity toward Israel. Also be important to see how much Mitchell plays into this.

Good thread.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Thanks.

I think the most Obama can do without being pressured by lobby groups and his cabinet to avoid any direct action against Israel's border expansion is to give them a warning. Any political action would involve repercussions from pro-Israeli lobbyists and goverment officials, which will lead Obama to kiss his 2nd term goodbye.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
Any political action would involve repercussions from pro-Israeli lobbyists and goverment officials, which will lead Obama to kiss his 2nd term goodbye.

Which is exactly why I hate this #ing country.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
If any US goverment official held the same magnitude of allegiance to another foreign goverment or country as they to do Israel, it would be considered as treason.

Just imagine what it would be like if Russian or Iranian lobby groups pressured our goverment to follow their country's policies. People here would start a revolution.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
And on the West Bank Israel is building a light rail system connecting settlements on occupied Palestinian land to Jerusalem. The rail tracks run through more confiscated land displacing the indigenous population.

The cost of this project is $2 billion and is being financed by the US tax payer in the hope that this infrastructural program will be paid for in the coming decades. The illegal settlers benefiting from these developments are insisting that the light rail service be free for them because they were originally moved out of the illegal settlements in Gaza.

In occupied East Jerusalem, the Israeli light rail system currently being built in violation of international law on seized Palestinian land by Veolia, a European company, will fundamentally change the landscape. Veolia and partner Alstom have continued their involvement in the disputed project, drawing the attention of financial institutions and civil organizations.

apjp.org...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Cost and infrastructure aside, this would benefit the Israeli goverment greatly, because if they're made to dismantle any future settlements, they could argue that this rail system would also have to be dismantlement since it's also on settlement land. No one will be willing to dismantle a $2 billion rail system or even a fraction of it (because what good would a rail system missing 1/10th of its railing be?), which would give the Israeli goverment enough excuse to keep the settlements as well.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DJMessiah

Israel has zero intention of allowing any Palestinian people to remain in Palestine. I suppose it may allow a small number in future but they would expected to be not only psychologically defeated but servile.

I don't say this lightly because the lower orders of Israeli society, who mainly constitute Asiatic Jews are already treated as second class citizens and have been conditioned to treat any Arabs as beasts. It's always the psychology of the abused becoming the abuser in Israel.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I will agree with the OP that its things like this that cause groups like Hamas to come into power. When people keep on losing their houses so that settlements can expand they are more likely to listen to extremists. I hope he doesn't get elected because this will only cause more suffering and violence.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Israeli Professor - 'We Could Destroy All European Capitals'

An Israeli professor and military historian hinted that Israel could avenge the holocaust by annihilating millions of Germans and other Europeans.

Speaking during an interview which was published in Jerusalem Friday, Professor Martin Van Crevel said Israel had the capability of hitting most European capitals with nuclear weapons.

"We possess several hundred atomic warheads and rockets and can launch them at targets in all directions, perhaps even at Rome. Most European capitals are targets of our air force."

Creveld, a professor of military history at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, pointed out that "collective deportation" was Israel's only meaningful strategy towards the Palestinian people.

"The Palestinians should all be deported. The people who strive for this (the Israeli government) are waiting only for the right man and the right time. Two years ago, only 7 or 8 per cent of Israelis were of the opinion that this would be the best solution, two months ago it was 33 per cent, and now, according to a Gallup poll, the figure is 44 percent."

Creveld said he was sure that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon wanted to deport the Palestinians.

"I think it's quite possible that he wants to do that. He wants to escalate the conflict. He knows that nothing else we do will succeed."

Asked if he was worried about Israel becoming a rogue state if it carried out a genocidal deportation against Palestinians, Creveld quoted former Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Dayan who said "Israel must be like a mad dog, too dangerous to bother."

Creveld argued that Israel wouldn't care much about becoming a rogue state.

"Our armed forces are not the thirtieth strongest in the world, but rather the second or third. We have the capability to take the world down with us. And I can assure you that that this will happen before Israel goes under."

Islamic Association for Palestine (IAP)
www.iap.org...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by gnothiseauton

The sad thing is that these evil men know this is what is causing the attacks and yet they keep the Israeli civilians blinded to this fact, claiming that they're being attacked solely because of their race/religion.

They're, in essence, using the Israeli civilian population as the sacrifices to claim ownership of what used to be the boundary and borders of Israel mentioned in the Torah/OT.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I'm reminded of that old saying; "Those that don't remember history are doomed to repeat it" .

Israel/Palestine is a living, breathing example of that saying.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
"Israel has zero intention of allowing any Palestinian people to remain in Palestine. I suppose it may allow a small number in future but they would expected to be not only psychologically defeated but servile.

I don't say this lightly because the lower orders of Israeli society, who mainly constitute Asiatic Jews are already treated as second class citizens and have been conditioned to treat any Arabs as beasts. It's always the psychology of the abused becoming the abuser in Israel."

I was going to post but after reading this I dont feel the need
you hit the nail on the head

Israel dont want peace with Palestine because it would mean giving up land that dont belong to them.

Therefore Israel will do all in its power to scupper any peace deal

[edit on 27-1-2009 by tonytone]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by DJMessiah

Wow! That Map looks like One Giant Parasite is on the loose.

Someone, quick, break out the detergent.

We need to clean this mess up.

Hey you, over there, throw that stuffed doll in the fire, I'm getting 'cold' out here. Toys are for Tots and I'm starving. What's that old woman have in the basket? Just some food for her family. What kind of food? She could only a$$ord a few pita breads. Well, what are you waiting for, Take It already. I said I'm hungry! Move it Corporal! You're getting 'soft'. What did I say about toys? It's Not what you have in 'your' hand.

Tell that Aid boat to stop obstructing my view, I'm trying to think here. On second thought get US some health rations. If they give you lip, pull their plug. We'll just plant a weapon on the boat and claim self-defense, the world's too distracted to know any better anyhow.

He sais: "Who in the Hell is my Boss's, Boss? "Why don't they tell us who's giving him the shots and why do all the Parties follow their will in the End"

Where could he be anyhow and where is all the money going? I here a huge sucking sound?

He spun the wheel of 'hope' and found his Master on vacation of all places. Though it wasn't what he could have imagined.
Got Dice.

Corporal!! Your Not Paid to think. Now knock out 50! Don't think, do it Now!

Looks like we might need a little "Raid" over there.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$@@@@@@@@@@@@@$$$$$$$$$$$$$@@@@@@@@Gold.

ekrkfverelfDekluietyAolziegeSwoeititSwoietthOoeiifjeewhM

If you can see this above, you're one step closer to a solution.

People, there is something seriously wrong with this picture. Can we not see the Haystack the in Needle?

If only ones mind could travel?

Could we bear witness?

We Reeeep what we sow ..........and sow what beaRS.. though do we think unto whom we Bear our Des..tru..cTion?

DASSOM? "By way of Deception, Though shalt do war."

"Yes, that's why I'm opposed to this action. But that's the directive, and I must follow it. Hopefully, you and I will be done with our little operation before anything big happens. After all, we have already destroyed his nuclear facility, and we are making money by selling hlm technology and equipment through South Africa."

WatchaTalgonaboutWillis?

Did we ask one to 'cure' us of 'our' ways?

Everyone needs some Checks and Balances.

It's good for 'their' development.

By no means do I mean to imply any history or affiliation with this group.

Hopefully during orientation to something like this, one doesn't check their conscience first before they leap. A leap of faith for 'another'. The same one who killed my neighbor?

~May threads like these become the Fabrique of society~

[edit on 27-1-2009 by Perseus Apex]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Why does one yearn for the "Strangest Tribe" as Eddie Vedder once alluded to? Are the answers found in the 'other', like some distant planet far, far away? Did he not discover that "I Am Mine"? And he was a 'Dissident'. That was impressive.

Do we 'listen' to our Conscience?

Good Nacht.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by Perseus Apex]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Perseus Apex

clapclapclapclap

very well done! Improves the quality of comments diabolically

(Though i did not understand)

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Well, i would like to hear him say it to American representative in the area. Just to remind you - Netanyahu is the one who transferred/ returned Hebron to Palestinian authority. Under huge criticism from his own party and other right wing parties. You know why? Clinton kindly asked him to do so. No doubt that during Obama this promise will not be fulfilled. Just a pre-election junk intended to pull right-wing voters from other competing parties to Likud.
And as for your map - care to explain why in 1917 map it says 2.5 Jewish and does not say how much owned by Arabs? Because government also owned land!!! Lot of land by the way. This is just propaganda statistics, hide obvious in the sleeve. I have no doubt that Palestinian Arabs owned much more land then Palestinian Jews in 1917. Not 97.5 (by far) though as creators of this map want you to believe.
Also, if you would pay attention you would notice that Israel returned land between 1997 and 2006. And yet terror was not reduced but opposite happened. Terror is not fighting occupation, purpose is (as it was in 1948) to "remove" Israel completely.
Another funny thing is your map of tram in Jerusalem. It does not connect any "settlement". It runs between neighborhoods in Jerusalem, and only in the West Jerusalem. You can easily spot it by using Google Earth and following the streets especially since map have 1967 border-lines on. But in propaganda anything goes, as long as people are ignorant to the truth.
p.s. - If "tram-fighters" were capable to stop its planning i would be only glad. Another one of Olmert's "presents" to Israel. It creates huge traffic jams for several years and it will take at least another two more.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join