It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take Cover! Sky Lanterns Have Invaded The UK!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I've been watching the news looking for UFO stories for years, and rarely do I see such a high concentration of newspapers in one location reporting so many "sky lanterns." I suppose there could be numerous reasons for this -- perhaps there is a really good infomercial playing over there right now that are making people all over the UK purchase highly dangerous, flammable lanterns that can be launched into the sky in an uncontrolled fashion. Or perhaps the UK media is embarking on some kind of 'control the public perception of reality' campaign? What is the Queen up to? Who owns the newspapers? What is going on? You can hardly find similar 'sky lantern' stories anywhere else in the world during the past 3 weeks!

01/26/2009

01/23/2009

01/21/2009

01/22/2009

01/20/2009

01/19/2009

01/17/2009

01/15/2009

01/15/2009

01/15/2009

01/15/2009

01/14/2009

01/14/2009

01/14/2009

01/14/2009

01/13/2009

01/13/2009

01/13/2009

01/13/2009

01/13/2009

01/12/2009

01/11/2009

01/10/2009

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
01/09/2009

01/09/2009

01/09/2009

01/08/2009

01/07/2009

01/07/2009

01/07/2009

01/06/2009

01/05/2009

01/05/2009

01/04/2009

01/02/2009

Okay, that's enough. I'm tired of embedding URLs to UK newspapers.....

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Probably because today is the Chinese New year, and people have been letting these off in the weeks leading up to it as part of the celebration.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
Probably because today is the Chinese New year, and people have been letting these off in the weeks leading up to it as part of the celebration.

But only in the UK? And for the entire month? Maybe the UK is the only country who thinks sky lantern mis-identification is newsworthy ALL the time--that or it is one of the few countries where sky lanterns are legal...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Maybe these are the objects the air force was instructed to shoot down?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Can you put 2 and 2 together?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Some sightings may be these lanterns but not as many as you posted I believe.

Well it makes a change from the old weather ballons and swamp gas routine.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Maybe only the UK allows these fire hazards free reign? Anyone checked on local laws re Chinese Lanterns outside the UK?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Maybe only the UK allows these fire hazards free reign? Anyone checked on local laws re Chinese Lanterns outside the UK?

I've never seen someone launch a sky lantern in my life, but according to UK newspapers, the mis-identification of sky lanterns as UFOs is a daily occurrence over there
The stories have taken over news feeds, that's for sure...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jeff.behnke

This does seam a little strange

I've never seen or know where you can get these Chinese lanterns!
I just can't see the English or British people for that matter playing with theses things!

Maybe its the Chinese populous of the UK that's causing the sightings!

I am also surprised that the UK allow these fire hazards to be let loose above our over populated country!!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Sky Lantern sightings are becoming more frequent in the UK because sky lanterns are becoming popular. They're a relative novelty in Europe and especially the UK, so once someone sees them, everyone around wants them. It's perfectly understandable and basically a fun thing to do. As to the dangers, it's clearly a potential fire hazard, but according to the instructions I read, they're regarded as 'safe' as long as you follow the guidelines. And we all do that don't we?
I'm afraid these 'orange balls of light' are here to stay, so UFO watchers need to take that into account. They will continue to be reported in the popular press until the population is so familiar with their strange apparition, it no longer makes interesting reading. Daily rags like The Sun exploit these mundane sightings by dressing them up as something extra-ordinary and often extra-terrestrial. Much of the confusion over these toys is created by the cheaper dailies grappling around for titbits to wow the readership.

This is why Sky Lanterns are so popular

WG3

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by waveguide3

Well I Never!!!

That is a little sad I've got to say!

I Might have to get some off ebay now!!

[edit on 27-1-2009 by zerozero00]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Hmmm well...

If I add some chemicals to the wax and make my own candles... I bet I could make some interesting colors, maybe even change half way through the burn.

That would get attention I'm sure...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
ONLY in UK? No, the lights, or what to call them, is seen all over the World, although I agree that UK is one of the hot spots. So Chinese Lanterns can circle around in the air, and change directions radically in a blink of an eye, not only drifting in the wind? Wow.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightchild
So Chinese Lanterns can circle around in the air, and change directions radically in a blink of an eye, not only drifting in the wind? Wow.

Yep, they can and they do. Remember these things are lighter than air, so they do whatever the air currents up there are doing. They do zig-zag, they do hover motionless and yes, they suddenly take off at high speed. How do I know? I've been in a sky lantern release. I've specifically watched them to see if they do the things people often report. And they do. Unless you've personally observed these flying objects, it's easy to dismiss them.

WG3

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Hmmm well...

If I add some chemicals to the wax and make my own candles... I bet I could make some interesting colors, maybe even change half way through the burn.

That would get attention I'm sure...

Boring.
For real fun try something like this. Flying octopus anyone?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Quite a few reports are just lanterns, but I'm sure quite a few aren't. People aren't that dumb....lanterns are now a well known sight in the UK, and have now had huge press coverage also, YET people are still seeing something which in many cases has frightened them and even led them to call the police.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by highlander2008]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

For real fun try something like this. Flying octopus anyone?

I love how they light it....and run for cover. Totally safe. Looks like they almost caught the tree on fire, too. Bonus!

I think I understand now why so many people in the UK buy them--they want to burn down their country and claim aliens who were just not happy with the Queen did it.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Well, they are becoming increasingly popular to buy and use.
You can find tons of sites selling them now! Years ago, this wasn't available to the world. That is why we are seeing more and more of them - they are easily available and affordable!

Sky Lanterns

I think they are beautiful and would love to launch a bunch of them if I were having a party!

[edit on 1/27/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Why are there so many of the toy 'Sky Lanterns' being released?

Would it be too far-fetched to accept that the UK MOD is trying to play down real increases in UFO activity? - maybe there is a situation ongoing with particular UFOs that look like little orange 'sky lanterns' ?

The obvious method to kill the story is by releasing toy lanterns all over, then getting the seedy tabloid newspaper The Sun to lead the stories.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by waveguide3

Please give up on the media line, the ufo orbs are not chinese lanterns. They are very real and the lantern excuse is just hilarious. I never saw one person setting off Chinese lanterns and never saw any for sale. Infact when I saw them for the first time in '92 the pair were the white type, not orange. Seen the red, yellow, amber, orange, white, Jesus type white, blue, green. Forget the excuses, the ufo orbs are reality and are buzzing us right now. I don't care if I'm taken out for saying this but they are real. I asked the MOD if I could post my footage and they said it was my property and was mine to do with as I want. The PTB are clutching at straws with lanterns............... UFO ORBS EXIST and I'm gonna put it in capitals but I'm not shouting. The evidence speaks for itself.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join