It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasty Odor Plagues St. Louis Area

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

It's amusing all the things there are Government Standards for:

In 2001 a team led by Pam Dalton of Monell Chemical Senses Center developed a substance called U.S. Government Standard Bathroom Malodor. It is a synthesized compound of eight chemicals. The exact eight chemicals aren't available online, and that's probably a good thing. Because this shouldn't be in the wrong hands.

...Volunteers testing the stuff began to scream and curse after just a few seconds exposure. One of the company's researches is quoted as saying, "It fills your head and gets to you in ways that are unimaginable. It's not something you are likely to come across in the real world."

...the Nonlethal Weapons Department of the Department of Defense is funding Dalton's work in large part, as part of so-called "stench warfare" efforts of crowd control, forced evacuation, and suspect-marking (so that they couldn't disappear into a crowd.)

everything2.com...

Also, if I remember correctly, there were government-sponsored experiments, using stench, to test what wind-borne distribution patterns would be, in the event of biological war.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
reply to post by wayno

Also, if I remember correctly, there were government-sponsored experiments, using stench, to test what wind-borne distribution patterns would be, in the event of biological war.

Now that's very interesting. It makes sense yet I'd never heard or read anything about it until your post. Scott AFB isn't that far away (just the other side of the Mississippi in Illinois), would the government use that facility to carry out the kind of testing you mentioned?

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join