It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasty Odor Plagues St. Louis Area

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Nasty Odor Plagues St. Louis Are

www.stltoday.com

ST. LOUIS -- A foul odor that has been hanging around the greater St. Louis area since Sunday morning has not been found to be dangerous, authorities said this morning.

Officials say that worried residents from St. Louis city to as far south as Herculaneum and as far north as Alton have complained about the smell in the air, but safety checks show that it is not natural gas.

St. Louis Fire Department Capt. Robert Keuss responded to a reporter's question on whether residents had been calling about the stinky situation, saying, "Oh, gosh, yes. On Sunday, we responded to 20 calls all across the city and that was just from 6 a.m. until 6 p.m."

Laclede Gas and firefighters used instruments to check the air and found nothing dangerous in the air. The cause of the smell is still a mystery.

One thing they do know, it is not the usual suspect: The rotten egg odor put in natural gas so that humans can detect it.

"It doesn't have that natural gas smell to it," Keuss said. "The smell has hit a pretty widespread area, but no one has been able to determine it's origin."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-1-2009 by tombombadil]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Hello Friends!! I live in St. Louis and I smelled the smell as soon as I pulled my car out of the garage. Its smells like rotten meat to me. Lots of people are saying it smells like sulphur or a dump smell. Someone commented to the article that they thought it might be "Seismic Venting". I hope it goes away soon any ideas.....???

www.stltoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-1-2009 by tombombadil]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tombombadil

Great find TomBom.. Does it smell like Seweage? I tried to find some related info. Could sesmic gas release under the Mississippi? I will search some satellite images for gas clouds

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I did some further digging the smell could becoming from the East St. Louis

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
St Louis was the 'gateway' through which many a wagon train and many
a mountain-man went through to conquer their piece of the formerly
native-american 'West'.

perhaps, like in the Ghost Busters story line... there is a temporal
Anomaly in the fabric of the continuium and the astral dimension
is quafting stink because of the historical profile of StL...

IOW.... Karma delayed?

Or perhaps, the Arch is being used as a 'Star-Gate' & the smell is originating from a distant, far-away place...
as that alien environment clears 'Their' air,
at the expense of the StL residents noses ?

[edit on 26-1-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Yea, thats what it says in the article. I am not sure that its possible to see real time satellite images of sulphur clouds? Whats weird about the smell is that is everywhere how could one factory or something get the smell everywhere.....??

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tombombadil

Interesting, as soon as I was reading this, I was wondering if it was a sulphur smell.

How many miles can it be smelled for around the area?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Any football fan can tell you the answer of what stinks in St Louis... it's the Rams, pure and simple.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Oh snap, it's on.
You must be a cheesehead.....!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
www.crawford2000.co.uk...

A friend just sent me this article......Very scary....!!!!

The smell can be smelled over a very wide area. From the Mississippi downtown all the way to Imperial. It covers the entire metropolitan area and some surrounding counties.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by pwood
I did some further digging the smell could becoming from the East St. Louis

The family that owns this wagon can attest to the smell in E. St. Louis

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I'm in O'fallon, Illinois about 10 minutes East of St. Louis...I can't smell anything.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Could this be connected in any way with the thousands of dead birds that are being found in NJ?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Well did you ever think, there is the possibility the probability, of an anomaly occurring.
Where 90-95% of people all fart at once?
Its very possible.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
My wife just called her aunt in an STL burb. She asked her aunt if she smelled anything. Her aunt asked how my wife knew she smelled something. The aunt had been trying to track down a gas leak in her house. We told her what we knew. Thanks OP.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
There was an article yesterday about hundreds of dead birds being found...I think it was illinois...cant be sure ..will try and find the link.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
They were found in new jersey ..here is the link

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sueloujo

It is in New Jersey, where all the dead birds are.

Interesting about the smell, does anyone know if the water taste a little funny too?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Natural gas seeping from the ground would not have a smell would it, because its the gas company that puts the odour into it? I don't know if the other suggested culprit, Methane has its own smell?
Whatever is up, if there is indeed a confluence of similar occurrences around the globe of masses of dead birds and bad smells then its worth monitoring.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I live in South St. louis city....and smell does have tint of methane or gas smell like someone left the gas on......People has far as 50 miles away have reported smelling this stench....its very strange and is permeating throughout the St. Louis area with no signs of leaving.....only getting stronger....It could be a precursor to something else....Maybe like the The Reeker...JK....Could be seismatic in nature or somekind of chemical spill that is being covered up the govt....There alot of refinieris in East st. louis very close to O'fallon..that is one possibility....Very stimulating this mysterious smell...and awful at the same time

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join