It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Building a wind turbine generator.Any Helpful Hints?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I recently was asked by a rancher to build a wind turbine generator to supplement his power requirements for his irrigation pumps. I have a background in engineering and I believe I can design and build an efficient device.(since I have given up on ethanol this seemed to be the next step for me).
I was wondering if any of my fellow members have any experience with a project like this, and if so, I would love to hear about it.
Any and all info and feedback would be helpful. My goal is to design and build the entire device from available parts or to machine them myself. Buying a completed device from a manufacturer is not the goal here.
I have been to alot of web sites on this topic but if anyone out there knows of a good one feel free to let me know.
I eventually want to be able to manufacture a large device and supplement all energy requirements, or even "get off of the grid".

[edit on 26-1-2009 by spookjr]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
maybe at www.abovetopsecret.com...

You can subscribe to construction seminars (or just view info) at Otherpower

Vertical if you need to save some space

And somewhere I saw some information on building a very efficient turbine out of an old clothes-dryer... but I'll have to get back with you about that!

I have spent some time on reasearching this subject (though my link-collection is on my other PC) and, also, plan on building one soon. I, obv, haven't done so yet, but why don't you check the other links. I'm sure they can share their experiences!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Carlthulhu

Thanks for the response, OtherPower was one of the first sites I checked out.
I figure it shouldnt be very difficult to assemble a working device, especially when you consider that most of the parts are already available for other applications.
I actually came across a site that showed how to make a water wheel generator out of an old squirrel cage fan.
BTW, is your signature from the ' Gita?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Here you go: www.thebackshed.com...Fisher & Paykel Windmill

wou can also find links to using that Washer-motor to build a cheap CNC-machine (and other interesting projects athacked gadgets)

AFAIK my signature is from the Principia Discordia and in Sanskrit.

edit:
If you browse through TheBackShed Website a little more, you should find most answers you are looking for!

[edit on 2009126 by Carlthulhu]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Building a wind turbine generator.Any Helpful Hints?

Fit a radar reflector on the top, that way your windturbine may avoid being hit by a ufo.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 26-1-2009 by tarifa37]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by spookjr

Here you go, a really good website by someone who built their own and includes schematics for the electrical stuff too...

How I built an electricity producing wind turbine

I'd be interested to hear how you get on as I plan to do something similar on a small scale.

cheers....nerb

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Awesome!!! Hacked Gadgets has got to be the other coolest web sit out there!
The design by Mike Davis is exactly what I had in mind. I can build the one he describes very easily, and even have some improvements in mind.
Thanks!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Make sure there are no substantial populations of bats nearby. I'm sure the ranger won't be none too happy if he finds the mosquito and other pest populations rise substantially and raise the risk of his livestock catching diseases.

Low pressure areas created by Wind Turbines cause bat's lungs to explode.

Not to mention he'd have a mess to clean up with all those dead bats.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

I don't think the OP will be building anything big enough to worry about exploding bat's lungs.

Interesting story you linked to though.

SpookJr...the site I linked for you certainly is a good one. All explained clearly by someone who's done it and like you said, improvements are possible.

Good luck.

(ps, don't forget to "ground" it if tall and it's in an open area incase of lightening)

[edit on 26/1/2009 by nerbot]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
being an engineer you should already know that you cant get off the grid on wind power alone, you need solar aswell, but what about those days where it is not windy enough to generate or sunny enough, then you need a diesel back up generator, the cost and effiecency of such a system is so prohibitive it only serves to feed the ego.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Europe

My current project is a smaller scale for powering only 3 irrigation pumps.
I do not agree with you at all, according to my research a wind generating residential system is a reality already. A personal wind farm might be cost prohibitive for some but I can take all the time I want to build one from scratch.
I think the only one feeding his ego is you, why so negative?
Oddly enough there are lots of bats in that area....

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
True enough. I just needed an excuse to post the story again. You never know, maybe he'll just be in danger of killing very small bats?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I dont need to feed my ego as it feeds itself and is quite content.

What is the power output of the turbines you are planning to build, what is the minimum wind speed required to get the blades spinning let alone producing usable power?

What is the average wind speed of the area you are planing to build in, how much will it cost to replace parts that are custom designed by yourself?

What about insurance?

what about the maximum wind speed your turbines can take before they break apart and go flying off and possibly injuring someone?

What about planning permission for home made and designed wind turbines?

How long are the blades going to have to be?
What shape have you decided on the blades?

I'm even wondering if you have done any research on this?
Im not an engineer, im doubting you are, answer these questions for me and ill believe you.

And there is no need to be rude.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Instructables - www.instructables.com...
Think there's a turbine or 2 on there.
Yep - a 100Watter - www.instructables.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Europe

YOU ACT LIKE A RUDE PRICK AND THEN YOU WANT ME TO ANSWER A LIST OF QUESTIONS?
FAH-Q

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
For everone else here, is the data that I have gathered.

1. Power output is 600 watt 120 VDC
2. Cut in speed is 8 mph
3. Average yearly wind speed is 19 mph
4. Cost is minimal since it is a small system designed for a relatively light load. Not powering a whole house here.
5. Fail speed is around 111 MPH
6. Dont need permission from anyone but the property owner since it is not connected to a residence.
7. Blades are 36", hub is 8" for a total arc of 76"
8. Blade configuation is styled after Chispito System, tapered and twisted.
BTW, Europe, after I got out of the USAF, I went to school for M.E. got a B.S.(ha,ha). Research is what I do.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
just because I did not jump for joy and say way to go man thats a good idea does not make me a "rude prick".

However you calling me one does in fact make you one, funny how that works.
And what does FAH-Q mean?

And you said that these things will be used to power irrigation pumps, will these pumps be on all the time or what?

And why did you put ha ha after you said you got a degree? Is it that you think its funny that they let someone like you pass or are you implying that I dont have a degree?

Im gonna go with the former because my qualifications never came up in conversation.

If the latter is true then the fact that you would even think about laughing at someone who you think does not have an education shows what kind of person you are.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by Europe]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Thanks OP what a great thread. The links will be so helpful for those less able to tackle these much needed improvements to our power. keep us informed as to your progress.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by antar]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Make sure the wear components are easily replaced. Don't forget to plan for "too much" wind, the unit might need brakes, or featherable blades or some other way to limit top speed. The max tip speed of the blades is important too, but I'm not sure off the top of my head what the design rule of thumb is for that. Somewhere below the sound barrier, I think.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Funny, everyone else had a positive response but you, if you are too dense to figure out what fah-q means then well, sorry for you .
The reason I put haha after that was because I think that its funny that a Bachelor of Science is abbreviated B.S.
Why are we at odds BTW?
I am just a poor guy trying to figure out a way to make my world better.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join