It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sky joins BBC in refusing Gaza aid appeal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Sky joins BBC in refusing Gaza aid appeal

www.cnn.com

Sky News joins the BBC in refusing to show the appeal by the Disasters Emergency Committee, an umbrella group of 13 leading British aid agencies.

The BBC, Britain's public broadcaster, has been criticized by politicians and religious leaders for refusing to show the appeal, which launches Monday. There have been demonstrations against the decision at BBC buildings in England and Scotland.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
"Broadcasting an appeal for Gaza at this time is incompatible with our role in providing balanced and objective reporting of this continuing situation to our audiences in the UK and around the world," John Ryley, the head of Sky News, said Monday in a statement on the company's Web site.
Im happy Sky is smart enough to join BBC. I wonder if extreme muslims will try taking over the sky offices now since they have no respect for democracy. Maybe then should burn thier HQ like they tried doing to the news paper that showing a cartoon on Muhamad in sweden...

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Perhaps now is the time to examine who the policy-makers are and who are simple 'executives' in the circles of media power.

I am not a citizen of the UK so it is improper for me to question your 'ownership' of the BBC. But I would think that as a quasi-governmental (Oh, how I hate that term) organization, should there not be an avenue for redress when confronted with a broadcast company that 'refuses' to air something like this? Or is it that they would make no profit in doing so?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

i think the BBC doesn't make profit anyway, it's a state broadcaster. at least it doesn't advertise, so i assume no profit.

i don't really get how an aid appeal constitutes impartiality myself, but i guess broadcasters have a right to ignore human suffering in the name of an objective view.

also, i think the appeal has all the advertisment required through this refusal to air, as would be expected.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dracula23
"Broadcasting an appeal for Gaza at this time is incompatible with our role in providing balanced and objective reporting of this continuing situation to our audiences in the UK and around the world," John Ryley, the head of Sky News, said Monday in a statement on the company's Web site.

Globalism to English Translation:

"Broadcasting a humanitarian appeal at this time is incompatible with the predetermined understanding of history we have been ordered to imprint into the minds of our audiences in the UK and around the world," John Riley, the head of Ski News, implied Monday in the least caring way possible on the company's web site.

Jon

[edit on 1.26.2009 by Voxel]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Surprise surprise. John Riley is no unbiased head, if you look up his CV, he started at the BBC!

John Ryley

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Dracula23

canceling my SKY suscription in the next couple of Days
shame i cant cancel my TV-licence since the bbc seem to have got a nice deal there.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
i think the BBC doesn't make profit anyway, it's a state broadcaster. at least it doesn't advertise, so i assume no profit.

they don't need to advertise as they have us over a barrel with the TV licence!
It's funny that the two companies in the UK that charge for their services, are the two refusing to air this appeal...

I love the way the beeb spins the licence fee scam...

"thanks to the unique way the BBC is funded"

BS....we have no choice.... Like taxes..

Edit to add.

i think the BBC doesn't make profit anyway,

sorry but that is too funny!!!

[edit on 26/1/09 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

i just noticed that

The bbc makes millions in Phone call competitions, Selling stuff to other channels, Aka top gear and other shows which are shown on Dave and other channels.
and selling shows abroad.

the bbc truely has it made

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Too right... I think it's disgusting the way the beeb is funded and I'm so shocked that they STILL have the monopoly on the licence.
I'm aware that they set up a lot/all of the broadcasting equipment back in the day and were the first company in England to broadcast.... but come on!!

Enough is enough now

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Someone needs to setup a BOYCOTT site ASAP.. Looks like you would get a TON of backing ..

Its time to rise!

[edit on 26-1-2009 by d11_m_na_c05]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by d11_m_na_c05

you make it, i will host it FREE

to much on my plate to work on other projects

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Remember noel Edmunds didn't pay for years and wants to boycott it too.

there has always been talk of it.... but i doubt it'll change.

boycottthebbclicencefee.wordpress.com...

www.spiderbomb.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
You think how many licenses are bought??

A colour TV Licence costs £139.50.... per year.

It's a disgrace!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

soon you will need one if you have a PC
as bbc provide live online services

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Damn man... that is insane!!!

When will the madness end??

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Is anyone REALLY surprised that the Murdoch owned BSkyB has decided not to do this?

I mean, come on..... they are Britain's answer to Fox News for crying out loud.

top topics

join