It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racist violence mars Australia Day celebrations!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

IT was a day to celebrate all things Australian but it quickly descended into an afternoon of violence and racism echoing the ugly stain of the 2005 Cronulla riots in NSW.

Once the embodiment of all things good about the country, Australia Day today became a scene of brawls and vandalism across NSW - with anger spreading from Shellharbour in the south to Port Macquarie in the north, The Daily Telegraph reported.

Wild brawls were also reported on the Gold Coast at Burleigh Beach, with hundreds of teenagers coming together in a series of violent confrontation on the popular family beach.

The brawls occurred at about 3pm and a heavy police presence was on hand. Several arrests were made.

In the Sydney subrub of Manly, hundreds of youths draped in "Aussie pride" livery wore slogans declaring "f--k off we're full" as they smashed car windows and ran up the famous Corso targeting non-white shop keepers.

Link: news.com.au

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Being of Asian descendant and living in australia for more than 15 years now I can honestly say that these types of actions do not represent Australia as a whole. It never will. Some of my best friends are Australian and they would be disgusted knowing that their own race could do something like this.

Also to mention that my family supports our society like no other do. My dad works at the local hospital, my mum is a pre-school teacher, my sister is a nurse and i'm currently at uni studying to join the Army to become a legal officer. We give so much to the community and we don't want a slap to our face over this.

All in all I just hope that there is no backlash from the ethnic community and I hope things do not escalate from this point onwards. This is exactly why there will always be segregation in our society if idiots like this cannot accept or tolerate other cultures and beliefs.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
There is already a thread on this...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
My bad, someone close this thread!! I'll repost my comment on the other one!

top topics

join