It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should kids be allowed to work during an economic crisis?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I was in a drug store the other day the girl working at the counter was maybe 16 or so, I had to wait for her to finish texting on her cell phone before she could wait on me and my girlfriend. All I could think about was how many people would be grateful to be her position to have a job. People who have families to feed. That thought led the to this question should kids be allowed to work during an economic crisis? I am looking forward to see what other think about this topic.

Peace
Trustnobody

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by trustnobody

If she was the best candidate for the job and the employer is staisfied with her performance, then by all means, she should have that job.

Where I live, there isn't much competition for those type jobs. Yeah, some people are out of work, but those jobs don't pay a living wage so a sole bread winner can't rely on one.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I don't think it should take an economic crisis to allow children to work. There are several jobs that young teens could safely do. As long as they are emotionally mature enough to manage school and family obligations first, working may actually instill a sense of pride. I also believe that children should be taught from a young age to earn things they want instead of having it handed to them for 18 years and expecting them to suddenly be able to support themselves.

On the other side of this are the parents that would force children to work if it were legal. There would be higher drop out rates for those that could not manage school and work. It may also discourage young adults from wanting to work if mommy and daddy took the paycheck they worked to earn.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Interesting reply, I think in this case he she was lazy and rude. Therefore if she was better qualified than any adult trying to feed his or her family then we are in for world of trouble. I don't believe all High school kids are like her there are some who actually work to save for college etc.. Maybe its just employer looking for cheap labor during these hard times. Rather than hiring responsibly.

Peace
Trustnobody

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Yes.

Send them up chimneys!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
i think you should give your own opinion explicitly in the OP, i get the impression you think not but the title suggests that you would want to have child labour legalised.

i don't think the rules on who can or cannot work should change in an economic crisis. you say this girl was 16 or so, you live in a fairly sheltered world if you believe a 16 year old might not be supporting a family, or children at least.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
No, because then it takes work out of the hands of already-vulnerable people who are also old enough to vote for extremist parties. Not a good thing at all.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Pieman,

I am not referring to child labor laws. I think the age in my state is 14 to work part time. Honestly I am not sure what my opinion is on this. I have not decided yet. It is food for thought. I understand the values a job teaches and benefits of having responsibilities at that age. However what comes first? Survival of a Family? Or allowing a high schooler to have a job so they can learn how to be responsible?

Peace
Trustnobody

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
What I find sad are the seemingly over qualified dudes in their forties or fifties workin a wage slave job after they get laid off.
I wonder how many applications are being submitted for low-end jobs.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by trustnobody

I had to wait for her to finish texting on her cell phone before she could wait on me and my girlfriend.

Not referring to you personally, but, I just don't understand how we as a people take this. If a girl/boy is texting while I am waiting in line, you better believe I am going to have a word with his/her supervisor.

It's like we expect horrible customer service and when we get it, we just think of it and don't act upon it.

One time at McDonald's' a girl stood there and just stared at me expecting me to call out a number one. But, I didn't I just stood there and waited for her to say can I help you or something, some kind of acknowledgment . I kid you not, 7 minutes went by. I called the manager and got my food for free and she was told to go home that day.

I for one, do not let someone just walk over me in any kind of way. The worst part about it, some places I go the manager is about a yr. younger than most of the staff working at the place, and they are clowning around too.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by jhill76]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moonsouljah
What I find sad are the seemingly over qualified dudes in their forties or fifties workin a wage slave job after they get laid off.
I wonder how many applications are being submitted for low-end jobs.

Lol I am one of those old dudes. Just because a dude is old doesn't mean he needs the cash any less than a youngster. I know a few who are just looking for a part time job to make ends meet. Washing cars, Flipping burgers its all good as long as you get paid at the end of week. It's not working at all that really kills and old dudes ego

Peace
Trustnobody

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by randomdan

No No

Have them clean artillery shell casings with their fingers!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by trustnobody
I was in a drug store the other day the girl working at the counter was maybe 16 or so, I had to wait for her to finish texting on her cell phone before she could wait on me and my girlfriend. All I could think about was how many people would be grateful to be her position to have a job. People who have families to feed.

They should be allowed and encouraged to work regardless of an economic crisis. You can't decide who needs a job and who doesn't, just going by age. It teaches them to contribute and pull their own weight.

Some teens are very efficient at their jobs, and in some cases better suited for the job, just as adults are better suited to other jobs.

The girl who served you wasn't a reliable employee. She'll be that way the rest of her life. I've witnessed more adult employees behaving in this way alot more than kids. I really don't appreciate it when an adult (usually female) is babbling and gossiping away to her friend who's in the store, when I'm pressed for time and just want to pay and leave. Or as you say they're on the phone. I'm most irritated by slowness and lack of common sense, you know the type who tries out 5 different sized bags, trying to make the item fit, and it's like watching a baby trying to put the square peg in the round hole, or puts raw hamburger meat in the same bag as a head of lettuce, or is super slow and the line-up is growing ever longer.

Stupid lazy people come in all ages.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by violet]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Within reason and a close to adult age, sure. But it's my job to support my children and theirs to be children to a certain point in their development.
And besides it isn't that bad yet.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
Within reason and a close to adult age, sure. But it's my job to support my children and theirs to be children to a certain point in their development.
And besides it isn't that bad yet.

71,400 jobs lost in one day, I think that is pretty bad if you ask me. We are not far from having to make very hard decisions.

Cheers,
Trustnobody

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I need money for college, and working is one way of how I'm doing that.
So, education might suffer if kids don't get jobs. It's really hard to find them around here because adults are competing for them.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
That 16 yr old working behind the counter text messaging during work hours...good thing I wasnt the supervisor because I would have fired her right on the spot.

There are plenty of qualified workers out there that know how to seperate personal activities from work activities. That 16 yr old should not be working that job, not because of qualification aspects, but because of responsibility aspects.

Being distracted by stupid text messaging could lead to grabbing the wrong perscription bottle, or ringing up the wrong price or not entering the discount information correctly, to a hord of other things that could go wrong.

Its like allowing your brain surgeon to do brain surgury on you and text messaging or checking their investment stocks via a blackberry...the two do not belong together.

As far as allowing young people to work during an economic crisis, if they are of the age that allows them to work, why not. As long as they are responsible and work hard just like adults, there isnt any reason to keep them from working if they want to.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

You make a good point rfburns. I would not be surprised if employers become less hesitant to get rid of dead weight, because it is so much easier to replace people.

Peace
Trustnobody

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

I had to wait for her to finish texting on her cell phone

Personally speaking, I think kids should be allowed to work, as long as they can handle the job. I'm turning 15 soon, and I really need a job.

Obviously the girl at that counter shouldn't be working if she can't put down her cell phone for 2 minutes to help a customer.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CNRHKick

I had to wait for her to finish texting on her cell phone

Personally speaking, I think kids should be allowed to work, as long as they can handle the job. I'm turning 15 soon, and I really need a job.

At least you have a choice, when I was 15 my father used me as slave labor and made mr work for him landscaping. I became so frustrated by being held down by the man (my dad) that I quit after a year and started a punk band that was against work.

Now 25 years later I am still playing in the same band singing about how I hate work, but need the cash. Good luck with job hunting kid.

Peace,
Trustnobody

[edit on 26-1-2009 by trustnobody]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join