It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Famous quotes..what are your favorites?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I looked for a place to put some quotes but didn't find one. I have a book full of them and a lot of people like using them as their signature. I hope this isn't a repeat of one already out there, but I'm sure it is.

Anyway, The book I am using is "The New International Dictionary of Quotations" Copyright 1986 by Hugh Rawson and Margaret Miner

I have selected a couple of my favorite quotes (that I have read so far) and would love to hear some that may not be in my book.

So here they are:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried" ~Mae West, Klondike Annie

"An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less" ~Nicholas Murray Butler, Commencement speech, Columbia University

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them." ~Paul Valery, Tel quel

More to come as I read them. Hope to hear some of your favorite quotes!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
See my sig. It's for the "selfish" phase of my life.

Rush

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by RustykShade

Ditto... in my signature.

But i have so many that i would overrun your thread if i posted them all.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by RustykShade

To be fair I dont know to many :shk: But i do like this one:

"If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts" Albert Einstein.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

by all means, try and over run this thread.

I am interested in getting a lot of em in here so people can get different sigs. It took me a while to find that book and figured I would share. So post all you have!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MCoG1980

nice I like that one. Truth at its truest.... lol

[edit to add this quote I just found]:

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but they make a good excuse" ~Thomas Szasz, Social Relations in The Second Sin

[edit on 26-1-2009 by RustykShade]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Start of with some funnies.

"[riding a circus elephant]
Peter Griffin: Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

"Bonnie: Somebody save him, he can't swim!
Peter: Oh, he's not even kicking. Kick Joe, kick.
Lois: Peter, he's a paraplegic!
Peter: That doesn't mean he can't hear. Kick Joe, kick!"

"Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios."

"Man is a marvelous curiosity . . . he thinks he is the Creator's pet . . . he even believes the Creator loves him; has a passion for him; sits up nights to admire him; yes and watch over him and keep him out of trouble. He prays to him and thinks He listens. Isn't it a quaint idea."- Mark twain.

"I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death."- George Carlin

"And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.-
Friedrich Nietzsche"

"Existence really is an imperfect tense that never becomes a present.
Friedrich Nietzsche"

"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
Martin Luther King, Jr."

"No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.
Nelson Mandela"

"The pen is mightier than the sword"- Edward Bulwer-Lytton

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people" -
Karl Marx

"Power Corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely"- Lord Acton

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."-
Napoleon Bonaparte

"A great pleasure in life is doing. what people say you cannot do."
Walter Bagehot

"I'll be back" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate."
Sun Tzu

"A leader leads by example not by force." - Sun Tzu

"There is no instance of a nation benefiting from prolonged warfare." - Sun Tzu

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Here are a couple of quotes from ATHF that always give me a laugh. I know they are a little long, but hey, they're still quotes.

Plaque is a figment of the liberal media and the dental industry to scare you into buying useless appliances and pastes. Now, I've heard the arguments on both sides, and there is nothing to convince me of the need to brush your teeth. -- Master Shake

Bling blong baby. It represents my lifestyle and stratus as street-savvy irreverent youth who lives large, yet hunger for the next level in life. You know, Boost Mobile is the premium youth focus communication network and instant gateway to opportunities. That's the chirp! I gotta take this. Hey, where you at dawg?! -- Master Shake

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
"I know my limitations" is a favorite saying of mine. I don't know if it can be attributed to anyone or not. But I use it all the time

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
There is a Quotes thread (I couldn't find it either, using the search function. But it was in myATS since I posted in it a couple times before. )

Post A Quote

" I don't know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot." - Marilyn Monroe

- Carrot

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

thank you for that link. will have to read it sometime. But since this one is here, might as well keep going with it, but with a slight difference. This is "Our Favorite Quotes" thread.
(it is now anyway)

and a special thanks to all who have contributed here!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Most of my favorite quotes are by by Oscar Wilde
One of my all time favorite quotes is.
“The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.”

and some other I like

“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.”

“Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.”

and who can go past
“What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I'm a great admirer of Quentin Crisp. I've used my favourite of his quotes in my signature to honour 100 years since his birth - 25th December 1908.

I think it's about the best warning a person could get.

Here's a link to some more of his sayings:

www.brainyquote.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The mistake a lot of politicians make is forgetting they’ve been appointed and thinking they’ve been anointed.
Anon

No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.
Terry Pratchett

You've got a lot of choices. If getting out of bed in the morning is a chore and you're not smiling on a regular basis, try another choice.
Steven D. Woodhull

It's hard to be religious when so many people are not struck down by lightning."
Calvin, "Calvin and Hobbes"

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra. Jimmy Johnson

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is.
Francis Bacon

The best way to predict your future is to create it.
Peter Drucker

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
Philip K. Dick

It's a strange world of language in which skating on thin ice can get you into hot water.
Franklin P. Jones

Every survival kit should include a sense of humor.
Anon

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Mine's my signature.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
"The [space]ship hung in the sky like rocks don't."

Douglas Adams, most quatable man ever

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Just read the first two in my sig.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
“I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.”

Aleister Crowley

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

Friedrich Nietzsche

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception.

Aldous Huxley

It is a bit embarrassing to have been concerned with the human problem all one's life and find at the end that one has no more to offer by way of advice than 'try to be a little kinder.

Aldous Huxley

All gods are homemade, and it is we who pull their strings, and so, give them the power to pull ours.

Aldous Huxley

Don't fight forces, use them.

R. Buckminster Fuller

If humanity does not opt for integrity we are through completely. It is absolutely touch and go. Each one of us could make the difference.

R. Buckminster Fuller

People should think things out fresh and not just accept conventional terms and the conventional way of doing things.

R. Buckminster Fuller

All phenomena are real in some sense, unreal in some sense, meaningless in some sense, real and meaningless in some sense, unreal and meaningless in some sense, and real and unreal and meaningless in some sense.

Robert Anton Wilson

Nobody sees the obvious, nobody observes the ordinary. There are more miracles in a square yard of earth than in all the fables of the Church.

Robert Anton Wilson

On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

Always Do Your Best. Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse and regret.

Don Miguel Ruiz

Be Impeccable With Your Word. Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.

Don Miguel Ruiz

Don't Make Assumptions. Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

Don Miguel Ruiz

A man of knowledge lives by acting, not by thinking about acting.

Carlos Castaneda

Look at every path closely and deliberately, then ask ourselves this crucial question: Does this path have a heart? If it does, then the path is good. If it doesn't, it is of no use.

Carlos Castaneda

To achieve the mood of a warrior is not a simple matter. It is a revolution. To regard the lion and the water rats and our fellow men as equals is a magnificent act of a warrior's spirit. It takes power to do that.

Carlos Castaneda

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by eye open doors

Nice, I like those.

-----------

I am going to go through these and choose my favorites. too bad we can't hold a contest or something to award points.

anyway, keep em all coming everyone!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join