It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racist Violence Mars Australia Day Celebrations

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

How awful.

Tell your friend that this will die down as quickly as it started, it always does.
Not that it will be much consolation.

We have heaps of Japanese tourists who come here to honeymoon and get married , so for the most part, this is still a very popular destination.

Would be a shame if she thought this disgusting behaviour happens EVERY DAY because it doesn't.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Way to lump an entire country with something that was performed by a group of idiots. As we have said many times in this thread, which you obviously did not bother to read, these are the actions of a FEW idiots who think they can go around doing that crap. There has been a big public outcry here about these idiots and what should be done about them.

You are only hearing one side of the story, and from a very limited perspective. If any of my mates acted that way I would punch them out, and I know a lot of other Aussies that think like me too.

So way to put us all in the same bag as these bunch of idiots, real classy that. That's what I like to call the dictionary definition of ignorance.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by vox2442

Way to lump an entire country with something that was performed by a group of idiots. As we have said many times in this thread, which you obviously did not bother to read, these are the actions of a FEW idiots who think they can go around doing that crap. There has been a big public outcry here about these idiots and what should be done about them.

You are only hearing one side of the story, and from a very limited perspective. If any of my mates acted that way I would punch them out, and I know a lot of other Aussies that think like me too.

So way to put us all in the same bag as these bunch of idiots, real classy that. That's what I like to call the dictionary definition of ignorance.

I read the thread.

My friend in Sydney, however, didn't. She had the experiences I relayed.

She is quite well traveled - did a solo backpack across Africa about 10 years ago. With her current job thrown in, I'm hard pressed to name a country she hasn't been to. She's well traveled, and her instincts are telling her that Sydney is NOT a safe place for a foreigner to be at the moment.

Like it or not, her experience will be relayed to her customers. Anyone looking at booking between Christmas and mid February will almost certainly be warned about this kind of racist behaviour. I know if she had a customer today, she'd likely warn them off Australia for good.

You may not be representative of the people responsible, but their actions right now reflect on you and your country. For her, as a professional, to ignore that this has happened more than once at this time of year - putting her customers at potential risk - would be negligent at best.

Who is to blame? You say it's a bunch of individuals. Others say they are the product of their environment. Others say it's system wide and ingrained. The distinction means nothing to me, because it's not my problem. It's yours, as an individual and as a nation.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

Like it or not, her experience will be relayed to her customers. Anyone looking at booking between Christmas and mid February will almost certainly be warned about this kind of racist behaviour. I know if she had a customer today, she'd likely warn them off Australia for good.

And she would be very wrong for doing so. Her customers would miss out on seeing a beautiful country with great people. The only problem is that there are a few bad apples, but there are bad apples everywhere in the world. If she cannot look past that and realise this was the actions of a few idiots in a city of over 4 million people, then she is very narrow minded and ignorant.

You may not be representative of the people responsible, but their actions right now reflect on you and your country.

I can tell you for a fact that if I was there I would have done everything I could to stop those idiots responsible, as would most Australians. If your friend had've turned on the TV she would have seen headline news articles condeming their actions.

Who is to blame? You say it's a bunch of individuals. Others say they are the product of their environment. Others say it's system wide and ingrained. The distinction means nothing to me, because it's not my problem. It's yours, as an individual and as a nation.

So in your mind the actions of a group of perhaps 25 people, out of a city of over 4 million and a country of over 21 million, somehow the actions of 25 people implicate a whole nation? Wow, that's is perhaps the most ignorant thought process imaginable.

Honestly, if that's the way you think about our country then you may as well stay at home, please.

[edit on 28/1/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

So in your mind the actions of a group of perhaps 25 people, out of a city of over 2 million and a country of over 7 million, somehow the actions of 25 people implicate a whole nation? Wow, that's is perhaps the most ignorant thought process imaginable.

Read what you quoted again.

It's not my problem. I don't care who is responsible. It's your problem to deal with, not mine. I'm a Canadian ex-pat living in Japan. How is it my problem? You're Australian. You deal with it.

I read this thread last night, and happened to get a call from my friend today, telling me she's off to Thailand, and thought I'd add that to the thread. Bit of a new perspective.

From her perspective, one incident, or two, or maybe even three can be written off. It's like going to a restaurant with lousy service and great food. Get a lousy waiter once, and you can give it a pass. twice, three times even. After that, you have second thoughts about coming back. Based on your experience of one staffer.

Her judgment is telling her to get out of Australia - based on about a week's worth of daily incidents. I'm sure that what happened will be repeated to others when she gets back - in the same way you'd talk about a restaurant with a lousy waiter.

That's all.

[edit on 28-1-2009 by vox2442]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
This kind of violence is on the upswing and really its misplaced Patriotism that has been skewed by the young drunken morons that are growing in numbers everywhere you look.

There is without a doubt a culture emerging centered around getting maggoted with a group of like minded fools, then a mob mentality takes over. The mob mentality is what really escalates the misbehavior into rioting because if you have a single drunken idiot try and abuse a group of non-white's they get sorted out pretty quickly.

Dutch courage or call it what you like, its starts with the indoctrination they go through at schoolies week and permeates on from there.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   

It's not my problem. I don't care who is responsible. It's your problem to deal with, not mine. I'm a Canadian ex-pat living in Japan. How is it my problem? You're Australian. You deal with it.

Well, that tells me a great deal about the type of person you are. No loyalties, do what you want no matter who you tread on and run away when things get tough. No wonder you are not willing to see past the obvious here and continue condemning a whole country for the actions of 25 people.

I read this thread last night, and happened to get a call from my friend today, telling me she's off to Thailand, and thought I'd add that to the thread. Bit of a new perspective.

No, you took it as an opportunity to have a go at us and our country. You thought it would be 'easy pickings'. Hence where you say....

reply to post by vox2442

Way to go, Australia. Pure class.

From her perspective, one incident, or two, or maybe even three can be written off. It's like going to a restaurant with lousy service and great food. Get a lousy waiter once, and you can give it a pass. twice, three times even. After that, you have second thoughts about coming back. Based on your experience of one staffer.

Her judgment is telling her to get out of Australia - based on about a week's worth of daily incidents. I'm sure that what happened will be repeated - in the same way you'd talk about a restaurant with a lousy waiter.

You are equating an entire country to a hotel? Wow, just wow....

That's all.

Somehow I don't think the ignorance ends there......

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

As I noted earlier in the thread one of the reasons could be the fact Australia has the highest immigration rate of any country in the world (6.34/1000 vs 2.92/1000 in the US which I use as a benchmark because it's well known as a pro immigration country). Lots of cultures being mixed together at a fast rate could be the cause of ethnic tensions. The melting pot needs time to simmer and at this rate it isn't getting that time. I have to wonder what Japan would be like if it had the percentage of immigrants coming into the country per year that we have. In a mono-culture I imagine there is less racial tension then a culture that is more rapidly being multicultural then any other in the world. If less people wanted to come here ethnic tension might be reduced so perhaps the problem will cause the solution as less people want to come here because of the increased ethnic tensions.

www.cia.gov...

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

I'm a Canadian ex-pat living in Japan.

Are you sure your not the same ex-Canadian who has already regaled us with their stories and who has also traveled (or your friend in this case) to every country in the world but never one as bad as Australia. Whose first post in these forums with your other account was in this thread...

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by butterballs8

I am a young, petite, ok looking girl with manners. I always say thank you and sorry when need be and NEVER rude to anyone to thier face.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by butterballs8]

so what happens when you go online, you show no manners or respect, dont say sorry for completely ignorant "head up your backside" generalised comments, and are rude to the country and its citizens that greets you with hospitality because your too cowardly to say it to an aussie's face?

i bet your not telling the story truthfully, and that you probably gave as good as you got and are not "all innocent and friendly" during the taxi incident.

[edit on 28/1/09 by Obliv_au]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
as many have said, this is a minority of idiots, and im sure idiots like this could be found in every country around the globe.

minority is the key word that should be used here.

take this example below.

Mohammed came from bangaladesh to work and live in australia.

he had been in australia about 6mth when he come to work with us, and had NEVER complained about anything racial. he even stated that he had actually got a very warm reception from near everyone he met.

after working with us for about 3wk i mentioned that i was going to drive 4hrs to compete in an offroad racing event and that since he always said he wanted to see the country i offered to take him along with us, but i wouldnt have much time to spend with him during the actual meet as i would be very busy.

if anything i actually learned a lot from him during that holiday.
so many things we take for granted that he was just so overjoyed to see and enjoy for the first time. he was like a kid in a candy store with the most simplest of things (flinders mountain ranges, how you might see one or two houses every 20km (remote living in rural areas)

he made friends with the local racers from whyalla and i get home to find images like this in abundance on my camera.

if australia was as racist as some of you have said, how is it that within an hour or two he's not only made friends with near everyone but has got close to their children.

look how much fun those kids and mo' are having.

racist country? only if you have your head up your"backstairs passage"
at the next meet i attended i actually had many people ask "where's your mate Mo', he had such fun last time"

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mazzroth
This kind of violence is on the upswing and really its misplaced Patriotism that has been skewed by the young drunken morons that are growing in numbers everywhere you look.

There is without a doubt a culture emerging centered around getting maggoted with a group of like minded fools, then a mob mentality takes over. The mob mentality is what really escalates the misbehavior into rioting because if you have a single drunken idiot try and abuse a group of non-white's they get sorted out pretty quickly.

Dutch courage or call it what you like, its starts with the indoctrination they go through at schoolies week and permeates on from there.

I quite agree with some of the points you stated. I think to really tackle this issue it needs to be bitten at the butt. It really stems from a social problem that we have in Australia, but also I notice it in other countries around the world. I think this mob mentality can be seen on both sides of the fence also. Shouldn't we be talking about how this comes around? And how we can stop it from occurring or even escalating?

I also want to state that I do believe in assimilation. If your going to move to another country you must be understanding of their cultures and beliefs. I think this needs to be undertaken for you to gain that same type of respect that you have shown them.

Also I 'alerted' some of your posts because they either have been off topic, trolling or haven't inputed to the overall discussion of this topic.

I've participated in a lot of racism threads before and it always seems to get out of hand like this.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
its actually misguided patriotism thats anti- australian and you could even classify them as a minority group of drunken urban terrorists and lout's.

when people wear our flag as a cape or wave it as a sign of national pride and democracy thats all good and well. national pride can be a truely great thing.

but when you display actions of racism, urban terrorism and hatred while wearing or displaying our flag your actually un-australian and desecrating the meaning for which our flag stands.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Obliv_au

Thanks for posting those pics.
What you've posted is the norm rather than the exception where I live too.
We all work and live next door to people of many nationalities.
We all share the same shopping centres, public transport, cinemas, restaurants and eateries. With no problems whatsover.

I think some here have totally glossed over the fact that this Australia Day incident came on the heels of ethnic racist riots between the Serbs and Bosnians at the tennis 2 days before.
Of which there were NO ARRESTS.

If the police had've charged the Serbs and Bosnians with AFFRAY like they should have, then I truly believe the riots on Australia Day wouldn't have happened.

These goons obvioulsy thought they could get away with it because the Serbs and Bosnians didn't get arrested.

There has to be a new age in the attitude of policing, especially in Sydney which is the biggest melting pot.

ONE LAW FOR EVERYONE not a go easy on some because of the colour of their skin.

[edit on 28-1-2009 by Flighty]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Im hoping that we dont have repeat of those race riots when they catch the middle eastern bloke that allegedly shot that poor guy over a road incident on Australia Day

Crap like this shouldnt happen, and its another blow to the Muslim community, I really hope we dont end up with another Cronulla situation

[edit on 28/1/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Obliv_au

Great pics
A star for you. This is the Oz I know and love.

I am a very lucky person because I have had the pleasure of working with people from all over the globe during my adult life.

I really enjoy getting to know about other cultures. I have also been invited by many of my non Aussie friends to go to their homes and share meals with their families. I have been treated with respect and kindness and have wonderful memories.

The drunken fools who drape themselves in our flag are sad because they are so scared of cultural differences they do not understand. They are blindly ethnocentric. They do not represent us (me).

res

edit for grammar

[edit on 28-1-2009 by resistancia]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I don't think we will OzWeatherMan...

Both Cronulla and this riot didn't happen in a vacuum and have only happened twice in 30 years since Multiculturalism was introduced.

We've read here about riots around the world lately with the financial melt down and with people losing their jobs sometimes it's too easy to take it out on immigrants who some percieve as stealing jobs that should go to locals etc.

It's blown way out of proportion. Of course even one incident is bad but riots have been predicted everywhere, so I find the outrage about this one puzzling.

Roits aren't the same as peaceful protests. Riots are riots where things get out of control. I could find at least 3o links of people predicting riots and almost taking it as a given in this financial climate and yet people act shocked when it happens.

The riot was appalling yes, but I can't say from coming to ATS and reading what's going down with riots in lots of places, that I'm shocked or even surprised.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
here I am in northern nsw and we find in the local paper blown way out of proportion for the sake of a story that a fight of 500 young drunken teenagers start a fight over who gets to use a bbq at lake ainsworth lennox head bs
so what really happened is apparently 7 teenagers that are unable to control their emotions when drinking let fly at each other their were about 300 people enjoying the day some were trying to break it up and the rest were watching in horror. Someone panicked rang the coppers who came down hard and destroyed a lot of family's day by telling them to move on .Yes there were underage drinkers and etc but it was'nt racist it was drunken stupidity that could have been stopped early by simple foot patrols thru thru the crowd.

The biggest blot was later at night when a gang of drunken iced out youths from Lismore descended upon an out of town local hall that has an annual dance and music for people to celebrate Australia day minus alcohol.They smashed cars punched people broke bottles and flailed clubs causing thousands in damage.

They were eventually driven off when all the women joined hands and approached the perpetrators chanting a peace chant.

Alcohol and drugs my friends brings the worst in us out

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

I am really sorry that your friend was targeted by these cretinous knuckle dragging oxygen thieves.

Not all Aussies are bad buggers but the ones that are get all the publicity.

res

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by johnnyrobbo

That really is disgusting.

I am glad that the women stood up to them though. That was a really gutsy move by those country ladies

res

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join