It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racist Violence Mars Australia Day Celebrations

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

this driver was pure bred Aussie ..... I said nothing. but give him directions to my destination and offered him money for the ride. He threw a fit at me, told me to follow the rules... and that it is the law to carry the correct fare" in the most rudest tone of voice ....hes just trying to pick on me because I look naive... anyways, it was uncalled for. This would NEVER happen anywhere... Ive travelled to over 20 countries and I NEVER argue with cab drivers.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by butterballs8

No offence but the driver of that taxi had a point. It states it very clearly on a big sticker in front of where you sit in the taxi that you must have correct change. This is because they cannot carry too much on them at any one time for fear of being robbed. And when they are robbed they cannot feed their families.

Now while he may have pushed it a little too far, this is born out of frustration that people cannot abide by a simple rule which is imperative for them to feel more secure in their jobs. I am sure you would feel exactly the same if you were a taxi driver.

[edit on 27/1/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   

I really would love to see more women taxi drivers.
I'd feel a lot safer and females are generally a lot more polite.
I know a few male friends who would prefer a female cabbie too.

Sorry for the off topic post.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   

If you go around insulting people the way you have since joining this forum it's no surprise your having trouble with people here. We aren't exactly a nation of doormats and never will be. So your best bet is to move to a country where they will be polite to you even when your not polite to them because that's never going to happen here.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

No offence but the driver of that taxi had a point. It states it very clearly on a big sticker in front of where you sit in the taxi that you must have correct change. This is because they cannot carry too much on them at any one time for fear of being robbed. And when they are robbed they cannot feed their families.

Now while he may have pushed it a little too far, this is born out of frustration that people cannot abide by a simple rule which is imperative for them to feel more secure in their jobs. I am sure you would feel exactly the same if you were a taxi driver.

[edit on 27/1/2009 by Kryties]

If he had talked to me diplomatically without throwing a fit, then I would say sorry, I can pay by credit card. Its not a big problem. But the fact that he was angry at me (as a customer) because just I didnt have correct change was uncalled for. I am a customer.... without me, he would have no job. And if he hated his job so much, then maybe he should do someting else. People should deal with thier own issues rather than spewing it out on others. As a taxi driver, he should also realize that not EVERYONE will carry exact change so when need be, correct change should be given.

Anyways, he fit the exact description of an IDIOT REDNECK DRUNKEN UNEDUCATED AUstralian!!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   

I am just failing to understand two things about your posts....

1. How does your personal experience with a taxi driver equate to us being a country full of belligerent, unintelligent, racist drunks?

2. What does any of this have to do with a group of 25 youths causing trouble at one of our Australia Day celebrations?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
What kind of a cab driver calls a young, petite, asian girl UGLY?

He said "look at you, youre ugly!" and starts laughing...this man is in his 50's for heaven sakes!

I am not ugly!
Him on the other hand.... he was FRIGHTNING!!!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   

I think you are trolling.
We've heard enough about your experience.
Get back on topic or please bugger off.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   

I think you've made your point about the cabby butterballs but what you must understand is there is good and bad in every nation... EVERY nation. No one is exempt! What it looks like is you've had an understandably bad day and now you're taking it out on the Australian population in general.

I can assure you that most Aussies are friendly and down to earth and from what I can tell on this forum - intelligent, critical thinkers. Sure, you have a right to be somewhat annoyed at the cabby for saying you're ugly. That was uncalled for and extremely unprofessional but the people you've upset on the forum here tonight were not to blame.

Gosh, if you got to know most of us here, you'd probably like us and find we have a lot in common but it's hard to see that when you have forced each and every one of us to be on the defensive. I hope you understand that!

BTW - I think most women of Asian descent are hotties!

Can we please get back on topic now!

IRM

[edit on 27/1/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by butterballs8
What kind of a cab driver calls a young, petite, asian girl UGLY?

He said "look at you, youre ugly!" and starts laughing...this man is in his 50's for heaven sakes!

I am not ugly!
Him on the other hand.... he was FRIGHTNING!!!

That's nothing. I was in Canada the other day ordering a meal and they would not let me have take away. There was a sign that said no takeaway but I think the real reason was because I'm a petite hispanic girl with a spanish accent. I got in an argument with the staff and then the head chef comes out and calls me an ugly troll. What kind of person calls a petite hispanic girl a troll? Canadians are such uneducated racists who have no culture besides ice hockey and maple syrup and are just generally bad people. 100% true story.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by Jacob08]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I am the best looking man in the world and went to China recently, some chinese lawyer came running at me, called me ugly and chopped my head off!

I THINK WE ALL KNOW THAT MAKES EVERY CHINESE PERSON CULPABLE!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeddicusZulZorander

You out way us Aussies by population hence you are worse by numbers.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TheKingsVillian

Unless that's a joke please stop with the finger pointing and war over whose country is more or less racist. Countries aren't racist, people are. The topic is about the fools who rioted and if you see anyone who did what they did then make sure you put them in their place. That's all that really needs to be said and all the generalization about our countries or other countries only causes animosity because no one enjoys being blamed for the actions of others.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by butterballs8
A country that was primarily built upon immigration and a land that was stolen from the aboriginals, this news is shocking and indeed shows the ignorance and lack of class by the Australians.

Canada was also built on immigration and land was also stolen from the indigenous people who were there. English and French migrants.

As far as I am aware, australia has no culture. Its culture is based upon getting smashed in the weekend, random hook ups (Australia tops as the most promiscuis country for one night stands), a prominent gay scene and crocidile dundee..... oh and women...lack class. expecially after couple drinks... ive seen women in sydney sprawled out buck naked in the streets while puking thier ass off in the middle of the streets.

You say Australia has no culture then you contradict yourself by saying it is a culture compromised of drunkeness, the gay scene, debauchery and vomiting
So which is it ...We have culture or not?

You should not stereotype ALL Australians, we are not all drunk, gay debauched, vomiting party animals
You are hanging in all the wrong places then and if you do not like what you see, find entertainment elsewhere.

I have a friend in Calgary and some of the stories I have been told about what some redneck Canadians do makes them no better, or worse than some Australians. I am sorry but you are ignorant and prone to generalisations.

By the way, do you have a source to prove that we are the most promiscuous nation ? Mmmmm...I do not think so.

You need to drop the superior complex and focus on the positives that Australia has to offer.

Back on topic: Yes Australia does have an element of racism and violence.
I think the racism is spread across all age groups with the older people having their opinions whilst exercising common sense and the manners to just accept that mutliculturalism here to stay.

The violence I see is predominantly some young males (maybe a few girls in the mix occasionally) fuelled by alcohol,drugs, religion and immoral upbringing - Aussies, Muslim, Aboriginal, Asians jockeying for their place in the scheme of things. Any young males exhibiting violent gang mentality need a kick up the bum and be told to play nice with each other.

rant over
res

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

Multiculturalism is based upon the premise of assimilation of foreign cultures into the Australian country and the Australian way of life.

firstly Point made and retract my previous statements

on this Did australians assimilate and adapt to Australia or did the new comers get the natives to adapt to them.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

Multiculturalism is based upon the premise of assimilation of foreign cultures into the Australian country and the Australian way of life.

firstly Point made and retract my previous statements

on this Did australians assimilate and adapt to Australia or did the new comers get the natives to adapt to them.

The first settlers to Australia adapted the same way to the natives as the first Settlers did in America with the Native Indians and the Spanish did with the Incas or Aztecs...etc etc...whats your point?

We are not talking about the past here, we are talking about now, the issues now and what the problems are and what may be the possible solutions to it all.

I never said the first settlers to australia were kind to the natives and that is not the crux of this thread. its off topic.

Now, the natives have assimilated great, where ever you see them they are as drunk as a skunk, and if they are not, then they are about to be that night.

Yeah flame me, but that the truth. Like it or not. The aboriginals that have stuck with their native way of life, free of any influence by western man in their natural environment are great people to talk to (if you can) and have a wealth of knowledge to share about bush survival and stories of the dreamtime and the like.

The ones in outback ghettoes are drunken animals that refuse help and commit heinous crimes against each other.

everyone has a choice in the end.

Like a previous poster said, the acts of racism that get televised are always by a minority that makes the news because its an impact story that gets peoples emotions going. gets the viewers talking. It is not the majority view in most circumstances.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

why would i flame you?
it was a Valid question when it comes to intergrating into society

and no its not off topic as this topics about immgrants.

point i am trying to make, these people are also immgrants or decendents of immgrants.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by bodrul]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

What happened to the Aboriginal Australians was more similar to an invasion rather then immigration, hence why some of them call it invasion day. What Japan tried to do was similar to what the Brits did. The Aboriginal people did not want European immigration and they certainly didn't encourage it the way our current government supports and encourages immigration. You could argue illegal immigration is similar to the situation with the first settlers but legal immigration is definately different because our government wants it. Only a very small fringe of Australians are against legal immigration entirely.

If this was not the case we would go back to the white Australia policy or an even more anti-immigration stance where we would not let anyone in and deport those who were able to get through the net. However most Immigrants are a benefit to our society and adapt to our way of life rather then demanding we adapt to theirs, so I can't see the majority of Australians demanding the government adopt an anti-immigraton stance in the near future.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by Jacob08]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I support the white Australians that take it to the violent Lebanese immigrants in Australia. # the media.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Just got off the phone with a friend in Sydney.

She's Japanese. Spent over two year saving her cash to take a long vacation in Australia. Left just before Christmas, was planning to stay on for three months, traveling and surfing and doing all the things Aussies do when they come to Japan.

In the days leading up to Australia Day and since, she's had "..off, we're full" screamed at her on the street numerous times, been pushed to the ground and told off (on Australia day), had a bottle chucked at her from a passing car (with the "we're full" comment tacked on), had drunk guys twice her size screaming obscenities at her, and finally had some fat Aussie chick spit at her this morning, with a comment that would get me red-flagged here for sure.

She's leaving. Going to Thailand as soon as she can get out, probably tomorrow. Doesn't feel like it's a safe place to be anymore.

She'll return to her job at the start of April, and I'm sure it will be the topic of quite a lot of conversation, both with her co workers and her customers.

She's a regional manager for the largest travel agency in Japan.

Way to go, Australia. Pure class.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join