It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racist Violence Mars Australia Day Celebrations

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Eeek, 3rd post in a row...sorry for that but I needed to address this post also...

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
This is pretty interesting. Indeed I've seen far more pure racism in Canada than I have in the USA. You could also look at South Africa or the Aboriginal issues in Australia, but the racism arrow always seems to point back to America.

We recently made a complete and utter apology to the Aboriginal people for our treatment of them through Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's "Sorry" address to the nation.

Us Aussies do not deny that we have had a very racially tainted past, and we have now begun the long process of making it right, starting with our apology to the Aboriginal people.

[edit on 27/1/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by butterballs8

I am more or less disgusted by some Australians who are so ignorant, arrogant and racist as to think they are better than other races when in actuality, they are just as guilty of being a energy consumer and polluter like everyone else on this planet.

Guilty of being energy consumers/polluters? Tell me exactly what this has to do with the point of this thread other than another thinly veiled attempt at vitriol against Aussies. May I point to your early post concerning Aspirin and the like. Yes, there is a very obvious pattern to every one of your posts.

I am here on a volunteer mission. Ive already donated a sum of my money to animal charity and have plans to join more organization.

I couldn't care less why you're here. It doesn't negate you from being ignorant. Nor does it make it OK to spout overt anti Australian sentiment.

And if you had not notice, the hospitality service is pretty much run by immigrants of a different ethic background such as indian, chinese, European and korean.

No I haven't noticed that at all. Perhaps you don't get around much and have only sampled a small part of this country.. Well actually, that's now evident.

The reason why Australians have a bad rep as racist is because the majority of those who are uneducated and not travelled outside of thier own country are ignorant, arrogant, beligerant drunks with no intellect.

Another arrogant, racist generalization against Aussies. Given your criteria, that must also cover most aboriginals. You honestly have NO idea!

I am more or less apalled, shocked, offended and disgusted at the racist and condescending behaviours of some australians I encountered... I hope to only shed light, not try to battle.

You've shed no light whatsoever. Just ignorance and I find you to be heavily offensive to the average Australian. You really have NO idea about Australia apart from the narrow view you've already shown us.

With that type of attitude, it's easy to see why you probably wont make too many friends while your here. I shan't reply to any further rebuttals because it's not worth my time or energy. Welcome to my ignore button!

IRM

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Beelzebubba

so they are also talking about them selves?
Australia was a Penal Colony so would it be surprising that most these people are descendent of Criminals? also are they referring to them selves as their parents/grandparents most likely arent native to the Land,

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
Australia was a Penal Colony so would it be surprising that most these people are descendent of Criminals?

I would like to make something very clear to people. All of this happened 200 years ago

I am most offended when people classify us Aussies as 'descendants of criminals'. FOR YOUR INFORMATION my family actually happens to be descendants of the soldiers ordered to Australia to GUARD those criminals. Some people tend to think that the Brits just shipped a whole bunch of crims to Australia and let them go and tend to themselves.

PLEASE, for the love of god DO YOUR RESEARCH. Learn about WORLD HISTORY not just what you see when you look out the window.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

i didnt say all Australians are Descendents of criminals
would have thought Most would imply not all Australians

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

I understand what you said, but you have no idea how many times I have had this argument with a Brit or a Yank and they are absolutely convinced of what I said above.

Think of it this way, if the rest of the world continually used the argument "you lot are just descendants of a bunch of crims so therefore your all bad apples" I believe YOU wouldn't be terribly happy about that stupid, ignorant generalisation either.

Further to that I shall add that many of these so-called 'criminals' were simply stealing a loaf of bread to feed their family, or pinching some eggs from someone elses farm. How is that deserving of a 6-month voyage to Australia and permanent internment here? I detest when people overlook that obvious point.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I get generalised a alot due to my faith, this has been shown many times on ATS , where some people dismiss my views because they think that its faith motivated or that i am Evil and so on. so i know what you mean.

edit: i know most were petty crimes
but i doubt all of them were petty

[edit on 27-1-2009 by bodrul]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Of course, there were SOME bad apples that ended up here but the problem stems from England. If poverty and desperation were not so ripe over there at the time, people would not have been forced to steal to feed their families, the government would not have filled up all your prisons and therefore there would have been no need to send people out here.

Not to mention the fact that the punishment, in a lot of cases, did not match the crime. We are accused of being a country full of crims, yet where did they come from and why did they do it? Better to look into your own backyard for that answer, we were just the country you decided to send them to and wipe your hands clean of them, rather than deal with the bloody problems that caused them to become crims.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   

reply to post by Kryties

i didnt say all Australians are Descendents of criminals
would have thought Most would imply not all Australians

MOST Australians aren't even related to the original first second and third fleeters. Most came shortly afterwards as free settlers.

So NO the MAJORITY of Australians don't descend from our founding forefathers .
(Yes the ones who got shipped here for stealing a loaf of bread and did MOST OF THE BACK BREAKING work that began our industrialisation. You know, the thing that makes people want to migrate here for)

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Unfrigginbelievable.....

Mate, no offense but this has NOTHING to do with whether or not we are the fattest nation, whether or not you elected a black president or whether or not we drink 4.5% beer.

You simply used this article as an excuse to have a go at the rest of the world. Frustrated are you?

This was an incident that reflects an extreme minority of Australians. They were a bunch of yobbo dickheads that got drunk and thought they could stir up some trouble. Your insinuation that this reflects what the majority of Australians think is disgusting at best and I believe you to be a very ignorant person.

Ri-god-darn-diculous

I wasn't having a go at the rest of the world, i was pointing out that the same stigma's that are attached to the USA are also applicable(sometimes more so) to other nations, even if they aren't applied. This creates a double standard.

I don't see how I ever insinuated that this is a majority of Australians. You are simply using my post to have a go at a "very ignorant" American, we're used to it. Thank you for reinforcing my point.

Frustrated are you?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
Frustrated are you?

Yes, because you turned a story about a bunch of young drunken idiots into an excuse to have a go at other generalisations that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. And yes, I think you are a very ignorant person for doing so.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   

I get generalised a alot due to my faith, this has been shown many times on ATS , where some people dismiss my views because they think that its faith motivated or that i am Evil and so on. so i know what you mean.

Well you of all people should know that generalization isn't that bright then. In fact it's mostly wrong as I'm sure you can attest, so why be willfully ignorant when you should know better. Two wrongs don't make a right mate - do they?

To paraphrase Kryties, it may serve you better to learn history before committing yourself to marginalizing a people or country you know little to nothing about. You've done yourself no favors whatsoever. Rise above ignorance mate.

IRM

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I had a great australia day, had a couple of beers with some mates and a bbq and discussed the problems of the world.

One of which is this problem we speak of here in this thread and Ive covered my opinion in other similarly titeld threads in the past.

I myself am I migrant to this country Australia, came here from an early age from East European Blood.

I call myself Australian if anybody asks me. I am not serb, croat, Bulgarian or Polish or whatever else my parents were or whatever else I was borught up being told that I was. I am not that which I went to ethnic "wog" schools on saturday morning through my childhood.

I am an Australian and I contribute to this society. I would fight for this country if it was ever threatened. Even if theoretically my country of birth was to invade Australia, Id fight for Australia.

The problem we have here inAustralia is that a social experiment that began as a great idea decades ago called Multiculturalism has not been administered or overseen the way it should have been.

Multiculturalism is based upon the premise of assimilation of foreign cultures into the Australian country and the Australian way of life.

Many nationalities have arrived in this country and have contributed greatly to make this nation what it is today.

On the flip side, in the past decade or so there have been antionalities that have arrived that have not assimilated into Australian society. It is not point to bring in Somali's that are so culturally different from us into Australia when they have been proven not to be able to assimilate here.

Their crime rate is sky high. Just ask any local coppers in Melbourne about the problem with them. Yes, many of you will say the Vietnamese were the same when they arrived, and I agree, they were.

The second generation of vietnamese have assimalted, but not all. They still fill the charts when it comes to drug related crime statistics. And challenge the Somlai's when it comes to knife attacks. Proven to not be compatible with Australian society.

Now, the muslims in this country. Some have assimilated but many have not. They segregate themselves in ghetto like communities where when you go there to a shopping centre that is frequented by their nationality, you feel like an outsider in your own country.

You do not get served at a store by them because your Australian, they talk about you infront of your face and laugh in their language, they even drive local councils to remove bacon from KFC burgers....WTF?

Australia is a country built upon mateship, a fair go, and we in general are a pretty easy going layed back peoples. But when outsiders come here and try and chellenge the way we live to be that more like their country of origin, I say, F$#K off home if you want to live like they do in Somalia, or Lebanon or the like.

We genuinely give people a chance, but when your made to feel second rate in your own town, your own country, then there is something wrong.

No politician has the balls to stand up and address the Australian public and say "Dear Australian people, I am standing here infront of you all to publicly declare that the social experiment we have called Multiculturalism is a failure and has bee administered wrong and for that......I'm sorry."

Lets see Kevin Rudd apoligise for that. Im not talking about bringing back the White Australia Policy but have some program in place to help migrants assimilate. Hell, I know people that have been here 20 years and still cant speak English. That is plain wrong.

If your a migrant and you commit a crime....see ya mate! Home you go.

1 chance and thats it. I love this country but I hate seeing gutless politicians driving it into the ground.

Fair go mate!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

mentioning obesity reinforces the point that i was making, and mentioning the beer was just in good fun, sorry if i offended you and your liver.

ignorant?

ZeddicusZulZorander thought my point was insightful. He is an administrator on a site that denies ignorance...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   

reply to post by Kryties

mentioning obesity reinforces the point that i was making, and mentioning the beer was just in good fun, sorry if i offended you and your liver.

And the point you were making was completely off-topic. Last time I checked this thread was about racial violence marring our Australia Day celebrations, not the fact that we do or do not have a racist culture. The fact that this was a group of about 25 people, versus the 2 million who live in the city alone, seems to have escaped your attention.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   

ZeddicusZulZorander thought my point was insightful. He is an administrator on a site that denies ignorance...

Yeah and ZeddicusZulZorander turned a blind eye to quite a few other idiotic posts in the thread too. What are you trying to say? Denying ignorance my *snip*!

IRM

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I had a chip with a cab driver today. I had 2 bags of groceries (heavy bags might I say), and I stopped to get a cab. I said "Hi there, I am going to ..... thanks"

Upon arriving my destination, I pulled out a $20... He said "U aint got anything smaller? Looked in my bag and said "sorry, I dont" then he starts rambling off saying that i should carry exact change next time in a really rude tone of voice...almost angry and pissed off. He also said that I must follow the rules and that cab drivers are like bus drivers...that they are not responsible for chage. and also that it is the law. I was a little pissed off as I was after reading this thread about Australians so I threw a fit and said "its your responsibility as a driver to offer correct change to passengers, even if its a large amount" and he said that anything $20 and over is a big amount and that they are not change machines Then I said "as a driver, shouldnt you carry some change...? I am after all a passenger and paying customer" Then he said "because of people like you, i aint go no more change left" again, in a really rude, demeaning tone of voice. I threw a fit at him and called him a jerk . Then he was like "look at you, youre ugly" and then laughed at me.

This was TODAY in the CBD area. tell me how you would feel to have a taxi driver talk in a rude, condescending tone just because I had no change for a $7.30 cab ride. If i pulled out a $50, i would say sorry, i didnt know that and pay by credit card. But $20 is not a large amount. Anyways, I now am having a bad day... and reading your reply didnt make it any better.

I am a young, petite, ok looking girl with manners. I always say thank you and sorry when need be and NEVER rude to anyone to thier face. He called me ugly and laughed at my face like a devil. That really fcking hurts

[edit on 27-1-2009 by butterballs8]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by butterballs8

OOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooook....

What exactly is your point? Are you saying that all Aussie are bad people because you had a fight with a taxi driver? Some bloke who deals with a**holes all the time and probably had a bad day himself? That is not only ignorant, that's a whopper.....

If you honestly believe that:

the hospitality service is pretty much run by immigrants of a different ethic background such as indian, chinese, European and korean

and that we are a country full of

ignorant, arrogant, beligerant drunks with no intellect

then you obviously have not travelled far from your hotel.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Ok the point is, hes a jerk towards me probably because I sounded American and was asian background. He would NEVER talk like that to a australian business man or woman... thats just the vibe I got from him.

Whatever.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by butterballs8

Well, you got the wrong vibe.

I have had many an argument with angry taxi-drivers and have been called all sorts of stuff as well. You will experience this here, in Thailand, in England, in Norway, in the United States.....hell pick a country and you will see the same thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join